Leaking oil bad please help - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1999 Honda Prelude
Mods: No Comment :)
SoundAsleepLude is on a distinguished road
Angry Leaking oil bad please help

I noticed that every couple weeks i am low about 2 quarts of oil, so i decided to reseal my oil pan since it was all gunky. that didnt seem to be the problem though. i've noticed that it is leaking badly from around the oilfilter housing or w.e. its called, and i was wondering if you guys have any information to help me out, thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

My transmission is also leaking. could it be my rear main seal?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd; 95 240sx
Mods: Everything Suspension & Brakes
rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!
when you did your last oil change, are you sure that the oil filter gasket came off with the filter and did not stick to the block? if that is the case you could have 1 filter with 2 gaskets. that would definitely leak.

Evolution Performance Driving School

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd : Tein Flex Coilovers : Progress Front & Rear Swaybars : GTSpec Front & Rear Strut Tower bars : 2007 STi Brembo Brake Conversion : Hawk HPS Pads : Stop Tech Lines : DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors : Nismo Extended Wheel Studs : ACT HD clutch : 06 wrx flywheel : 18 x 8.5 Volk ce28n : 245/35/18 Kumho Ecsta XS : AVO LCA Bushings : Corner Balanced : Hella Supertones

1995 Nissan 240sx : In pieces : LS1 : T56 Transmission
Old 12-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 97 civic ex
Mods: mez :ninja
dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnstein69 View Post
when you did your last oil change, are you sure that the oil filter gasket came off with the filter and did not stick to the block? if that is the case you could have 1 filter with 2 gaskets. that would definitely leak.
x2
ive done that before
and rear main seals are fuuuuuuun

What kind of Work Wheel is this?!?!

Original Pencil Pusher Thread.. never forget

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd; 95 240sx
Mods: Everything Suspension & Brakes
rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom yo View Post
x2
ive done that before
and rear main seals are fuuuuuuun
haha.. how do you think i knew about the o.f. gasket

Evolution Performance Driving School

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd : Tein Flex Coilovers : Progress Front & Rear Swaybars : GTSpec Front & Rear Strut Tower bars : 2007 STi Brembo Brake Conversion : Hawk HPS Pads : Stop Tech Lines : DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors : Nismo Extended Wheel Studs : ACT HD clutch : 06 wrx flywheel : 18 x 8.5 Volk ce28n : 245/35/18 Kumho Ecsta XS : AVO LCA Bushings : Corner Balanced : Hella Supertones

1995 Nissan 240sx : In pieces : LS1 : T56 Transmission
Old 12-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 95 Prelude
Mods:
Looder180k is on a distinguished road
Toast

I just scrapped my 95 lude. check your oil pump housing first for a bad seal then a cracked housing. mine leaked 3 quarts in one week...then 4 quarts in one day....spun bearing
Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 1999 Civic Si
Mods: shit ton...
99_EK_COUPE is on a distinguished road
rear main is a definate possibility i would also check the oil sendings unit for leaks ive had those leak on me from over tightening them
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

ok thanks will check it out
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 2000 Civic
Mods: 1992 white eg hatch freshly rebuilt h22a sleeved ihe the rest is stock for now
robmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peonsrobmea Hello down there miniscule peons
If your filter is fine alot of the time the oil cooler housing will leak where it meets the block. Go to Honda and get a new O ring if this is your problem, it only costs a couple of bucks. They get old and dry after a while and it will make a mess all over your motor sometimes even the tranny. As for your tranny leak i would first try your axle shaft seals. Its alot easier to find a leak if your first spray down and clean the crap out of the bottom of the motor then watch it to try to pin point the leak
Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1994 honda Prelude
Mods: rims+tires,header,intake- etc. a sleeper(not getting to specific yet)
Knyce1 is on a distinguished road
the oil cooler housing gasket is bad. it is right behind the oil filter. I have a 94 si and mine just went about 2 weeks ago. oil was pouring out like crazy!!! the gasket is cheap, only a few bucks. If you get it done at a shop it will cost about 100 to fix w/ labor, maybe a little more but not much!! or do it yourself if you got the means too. Peace Knyce1
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Xcalibr_13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't know too much about your prelude but, I made the mistake of taking my 96 Cobra to "Iffy" Lube to get an oil change and the snot nosed kid somehow loosened the center oil filter bolt (the threaded bolt that your oil filter screws on to), so the oil filter wouldn't seal against the block cause it was bottoming out on the threaded bolt. It was leaking all over the place and didn't notice until I woke up the next morning and there was a nice puddle in my garage.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 90' red canadian ef hatch
Mods: stock
ITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapyITRcrx1991 needs rep therapy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knyce1 View Post
the oil cooler housing gasket is bad. it is right behind the oil filter. I have a 94 si and mine just went about 2 weeks ago. oil was pouring out like crazy!!! the gasket is cheap, only a few bucks. If you get it done at a shop it will cost about 100 to fix w/ labor, maybe a little more but not much!! or do it yourself if you got the means too. Peace Knyce1
damn. he got fired lol. I work at mobil 1 and if anyone did that shit they would def get the boot. HAAHA ive done the infamous double gasket before. that shit sucks. Check all your seals out, I.e. valve covers, head gasket, tranny pan gasket, and replace with filter gasket set if need be, etc.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 94 Honda Prelude si
Mods: Under the knife as of March
jtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problemjtdesigns has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmea View Post
If your filter is fine alot of the time the oil cooler housing will leak where it meets the block. Go to Honda and get a new O ring if this is your problem, it only costs a couple of bucks. They get old and dry after a while and it will make a mess all over your motor sometimes even the tranny. As for your tranny leak i would first try your axle shaft seals. Its alot easier to find a leak if your first spray down and clean the crap out of the bottom of the motor then watch it to try to pin point the leak
I agree 100% with everything robmea said.. Its under the oil cooler.. 10 min job. Takes freaking big arse socket though,, like 22 or 24 mm something like that..
Clean the hell out of everything.. Go get some uv dye and a fluorescent blacklight and using the blacklight you'll be able to trace any leaks that are hard to see... Its cool to paint on naked chicks under the blacklight too... At least thats what she said...

Will buy oem 4th gen parts..Cherokee, and Comanche parts.... What'ch you got?? PM me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement