painting a car to a different color, bad? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Gizz is an unknown quantity at this point
painting a car to a different color, bad?

I will be purchasing a black prelude and it needs a paint job. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to repaint the car a different color. I was thinking of red or white.

Is it not recommended to make such a big color difference?

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2005, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1993 Prelude
Mods: In April when it comes out of shop it will have Hiro front lip, BW sides, Extreme rear, Velox VX8 17's, ViS carbon fiber invador hood, JDM fogs, JDM headlights, JDM Fenders, I/H/E/pullys/cam gears, JDM Valve Cover, Carbon fiber gas door
VisPReludeVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
keep it black, Love black cars, on the other hand I believe black is the hardest color to change from?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #3 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 01 ninja
Mods: soda can rim mod
two_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapytwo_one_six needs rep therapy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizz
I will be purchasing a black prelude and it needs a paint job. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to repaint the car a different color. I was thinking of red or white.

Is it not recommended to make such a big color difference?

Thanks.
haha yea i was wondering the exact same thing except i want to get mine painted black, from red!! red is to flashy for my taste
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 2001 Prelude
Mods: E55 Bi-Xenon Retrofit, AEM Intake, OBX Header, NGK Wires, DENSO Iridium Plugs, Blue Vacuum hoses, Exedy Organic Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, VIS OEM Carbon Fiber hood, All bulbs switched to white, Custom white painted interior and MOMO parts
snackpacks is a splendid one to beholdsnackpacks is a splendid one to beholdsnackpacks is a splendid one to beholdsnackpacks is a splendid one to beholdsnackpacks is a splendid one to beholdsnackpacks is a splendid one to beholdsnackpacks is a splendid one to behold
It all depends on how deep your pocket is If you get it painted a diff color, the best way is to have everything stripped down and have the entire piece repainted (engine bay, floors, trunk, etc.). If you just get a cheap exterior paint job, no it will not be worth it. Because when you open doors/hood/trunk/etc, and you AND other people see it's a different color, it just doesn't look as good.

SFPOA - Florida Prelude Owners Association
Old 05-16-2005, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 2000 Honda Prelude Type SH
Mods:
MacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond reputeMacTown has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackpacks
It all depends on how deep your pocket is If you get it painted a diff color, the best way is to have everything stripped down and have the entire piece repainted (engine bay, floors, trunk, etc.). If you just get a cheap exterior paint job, no it will not be worth it. Because when you open doors/hood/trunk/etc, and you AND other people see it's a different color, it just doesn't look as good.

Exactly!

2000 Prelude Type SH / JDM Type S Swap / Hondata S100
2008 Honda Ruckus
Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
MNsnowdaboy will become famous soon enoughMNsnowdaboy will become famous soon enough
If you got a black car and wanna change the color I suggest stick to a dark color. I mean if you got a white car and paint it blue......man you'll totally notice the white engine bay. But for black cars if you paint it, lets say charcoal gray, then the black engine bay is not as bad.

IMO if you were to change from a available stock color you shouldn't go back to another available stock color like red. You should get some colors that weren't available for the ludes and it'll stand out.

Here's some factory stock colors but will make your car totally different.

S2000 silver
03 TL gold/tan
Volvo copper
ect ect.

Dam Red Macombs die die die you mutha f%&!

!$@@$%^&%@^$@%^%$$!####$%^%%
@#$$@#$^%$%$$^$#%#!!!!!!!! old bastard.

My car 2006 prediction
Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car:
Mods: h23vtec
98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy
gunmetal metallic , so hot
1/8 mile 7.61 @93.3
Old 05-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
mr2envy is an unknown quantity at this point
its hard to go from a dark color to a light color such as white cause you either have to strip all the black off or paint over it alot of times.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car: 2008 Civic Si
Mods: Stock
98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackpacks
Exactly what i was thinking...
Old 05-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Preludeh22vtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2envy
its hard to go from a dark color to a light color such as white cause you either have to strip all the black off or paint over it alot of times.
If your going to change the colour paint all the door/trunk shuts leave the engine bay black, it does not matter what colour is painted over the top as you should seal and prime the car fisrt thus allowing you to choose any colour.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: Honda Prelude 2001
Mods: its not stock
chanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep tropospherechanluder In the rep troposphere
paint it black

Boosted Honda Prelude 2001
Old 05-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 95 Prelude SE w/ JDM H22A
Mods: JDM H22A swap, JDM M2J5 tranny, Cold air intake, custom 2.5" catback exhaust,, AEM True Power pullies, Denso Iridiums, 10.2mm wires, fuel pressure regulator mod, Maxspeed lowering springs, JDM one piece headlights
Quaalude22SE is on a distinguished road
Go to a paintshop and look through the book of factory colors and pick one that is dark so the engine bay wont look stupid, but looks better than the faded Honda black. You can get a badass looking black metallic off the 350z or some other high end sports car. A black with a silver or gold metallic flake would look bling bling

When I went to get a paintjob I wanted something that was similar to my Sherwood Green Pearl, but better. I looked through the book and picked out the nicest looking green I could find and hit the jackpot with the Jaguar paint. It looks black at night, dark green in the shade, and bright metallic green in the light.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 2007 gpw s2000
Mods:
Boosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peons
atleast have them paint the trunk and door jams. the engine bay doesn't need to be painted, imo, if you have a black car.

also when changing colors, the windshield and rear glass have to be removed.

07 gwp s2000 - 07 gsxr1000 - 08 4runner
Old 05-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1998 Honda Prelude
Mods: Some cool stuff.
ganjgremlin is on a distinguished road
id just get it painted white again. i mean if u want another color, go white, its not bad for anything. you'll have a diff color frame obvioulsy and also your engine compartment will be black but who cares. get what u want. black is the best tho.

1998 Honda Prelude (Stock Internals/Exterior)
2004 Subaru STi (Not Stock)
Old 05-17-2005, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 2007 gpw s2000
Mods:
Boosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peonsBoosted521 Hello down there miniscule peons
black is best when clean... too bad it only stays clean for a few minutes after you wash it

07 gwp s2000 - 07 gsxr1000 - 08 4runner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement