Scraping noise from right front tire/brakes - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car: 1999 Honda Prelude
Mods: stock......and no I'm not modifying it.
VTEC_prelude99 is just really niceVTEC_prelude99 is just really niceVTEC_prelude99 is just really niceVTEC_prelude99 is just really nice
Scraping noise from right front tire/brakes

Ok...heres my prob. each time when i drive the prelude on really, REALLY, bumpy wavy roads, and hard braking on a steep downhill my car's right front would make a scraping noise, I could only hear it when the windows are open. The noise isn't constant, the scraping noise would be heard after the tires make one revolution. The car would still make those werid noises after it gets onto smoother roads. The noise didn't go away until i pulled over for about a minute then start driving again.

In Short.....
1.) Car's front right would make scraping noises after downhill+rough roads.
2.) Noise sounds like a butcher knife being dragged across concrete.
3.) Noise stops after i pull it over for a minute.
4.) Noise still occurs after i release the brakes and start moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car:
Mods:
noopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud ofnoopie has much to be proud of
Check to see if a psycho with a butcher knife is hanging on to the underside of your car :err
Old 05-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

VTEC_prelude99 is just really niceVTEC_prelude99 is just really niceVTEC_prelude99 is just really niceVTEC_prelude99 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopie
Check to see if a psycho with a butcher knife is hanging on to the underside of your car :err
now seriously........

anybody with helpful suggestions?
Old 05-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car:
Mods: h23vtec
98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy98vtec needs rep therapy
Go buy some Honda pads. But check your pads and see if they need to be changed.
1/8 mile 7.61 @93.3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Vtec
Go buy some Honda pads. But check your pads and see if they need to be changed.
Don't worn brake pads make noises only when you press on the brakes, but mines still make noises when i don't have the brakes pressed, and it only makes noises after driving on rough roads, and extended downhill braking.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
DanLude-98 will become famous soon enough
Your brakes could be really hot at that point and slightly oversized(from heat)... Anyone, else?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 1993 Honda Prelude Si (H22a Swap)
Mods: JDM H22a Swap, Greddy SS Header, Greddy SP Cat Back, Car Sound highflow Cat, Skunk2 Cam gears (tuned), Light weight Flywheel, AEM CAI and Short Ram (I switch for different things). ON THE WAY: JUN Valve Train, Jun High Comp Pistons and JUN Flywheel
tha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapytha_con needs rep therapy
when your brake pads get low there should be a noise all the time IIRC.

There's a piece of metal somewhere on the pad so when it get's too low it makes a squeel. I would say change em, can't hurt anything, it's not that expensive.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 97 Prelude
Mods: Header, High Flow Cat, AEM Intake, 18" ADR Spade Wheels, Infinity Reference Componet, Infinity 6x9 rear, Alpine Head Unit
fleming23 will become famous soon enough
I had the same problem coming from my front right pad... I had brand new cermaic pads and new rotors and everything! I was so confused. As it turns out the pad was in the caliper just slightly off (not sitting perfectly square) and it was ever so slightly rubbing the rotor. It made a nasty metal scraping metal sound all the time, especially when I would depress the brake, but would not completely go away when I let off... If you do your brakes yourself, take the caliper off and make sure you lube your caliper bolts!! This is supposed to be extremely important on honda brakes! check your pads and make sure you still have enough pad and the early warning sensor is not rubbing, because that will cause squealing too! While there it would not be a bad idea to go ahead and have the rotors turned at your local part store! Since it is SO easy to take the rotors off just so long as those two anal screws are not rusted in!!! Good luck!
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1998 Honda Prelude
Mods: Some cool stuff.
ganjgremlin is on a distinguished road
its ya brakes sonny.

1998 Honda Prelude (Stock Internals/Exterior)
2004 Subaru STi (Not Stock)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement