Smoke coming out of AC vents? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1997 Prelude Type SH/ 1995 Silvia
Mods:
SpanishRicer has a spectacular aura aboutSpanishRicer has a spectacular aura aboutSpanishRicer has a spectacular aura about
Smoke coming out of AC vents?

I noticed this morning that after a long drive to work, when my car was stopped and sitting at idle, some smoke starting coming out of the AC vents. This kept up for about 15 seconds and then stopped. Any ideas on what this may be? I'm betting it has something to do with the weather being so humid and maybe some condensation built up, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

417whp...330ft/lb...17psi...pump gas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 2001 Prelude
Mods: To many to list here!
01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile01preluder Needs to go outside once in awhile
i don't kow what it is but every car i have ever had has done that so i don't think its a big deal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 1991 CRX HF
Mods: Wings West Body Kit, Nuespeed Short Shifter, AEM Intake, Tokico Illuminas, Pioneer head unit, 2 alpine subs, and apline amp. Future plans are to get a B16A1 swap and turbo.
RicerGSX will become famous soon enoughRicerGSX will become famous soon enough
Well my first question would be is there any over heating going on? The obvious answer to that will probably be no. So here is my next guess. Check all the A/C lines, freon levels and so on. Thats the best I can do for you.
Neuspeed Short Throw Shifter
Custom Exhaust
Hasport Mounts
Hasport Shiftlinkage
Wings West RS Body Kit
Alpine Sound System
Pioneer Head Unit
My Car

Team Eyeless Performance/Audio (coming soon)
SHO OWNZ ME!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1994 Civic EX
Mods:
RunninSOHC is on a distinguished road
Did you have the orange recirculate set on or off?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1997 Prelude Type SH/ 1995 Silvia
Mods:
SpanishRicer has a spectacular aura aboutSpanishRicer has a spectacular aura aboutSpanishRicer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninSOHC
Did you have the orange recirculate set on or off?
I believe it was off...

417whp...330ft/lb...17psi...pump gas.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 97 black Prelude type SH
Mods: not much - rims, intake, exhaust tips, clear sidemarkers and turns, 25 LED fogs
phrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sad
Wow, You mean it was actually smoke? not condensation / water vapor? Ive never had smoke come out unless something is burning.

DESIGN PORTFOLIO FLASH 3D LUDE!!! PRELUDE VID GAME
Old 08-02-2004, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
D1GP will become famous soon enoughD1GP will become famous soon enough
does it "smell" like smoke? if not then it's probably some form of vapor gaseous crap.
"In track, there's no mystery, nothing is hidden to you. turns, gears, and entry speed are a given. touge, is mysterious, which makes it so damn fun but also so damn dangerous. when i touge, the thought of safety always lingers in my mind, which makes it really hard to concentrate and i usually end up second guessing myself."
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Mods: Wings West Body Kit, Nuespeed Short Shifter, AEM Intake, Tokico Illuminas, Pioneer head unit, 2 alpine subs, and apline amp. Future plans are to get a B16A1 swap and turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1GP
does it "smell" like smoke? if not then it's probably some form of vapor gaseous crap.
Probably a freon leak or something. It could be nothing but I would still check out all the connections because Freon aint good for you.
Custom Exhaust
Hasport Mounts
Hasport Shiftlinkage
Wings West RS Body Kit
Alpine Sound System
Pioneer Head Unit
My Car

SHO OWNZ ME!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 2001 Honda Prelude
Mods:
93CivicLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont sniff the frion, ha...but you're probably just seeing the water vapor when the cold air mixing with the warm...like when you open your freezer on your refrigerator and the "smoke" comes out.

1993 Honda Civic LX [Sold ]
2001 Honda Prelude [Bought ]
- DC Front Upper Tie Bar
- Prelude factory security system w/ remote trunk release selenoid.
- 2/10/05 - Pirelli Zero Nero M+S Tires
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CivicLX
Dont sniff the frion, ha...but you're probably just seeing the water vapor when the cold air mixing with the warm...like when you open your freezer on your refrigerator and the "smoke" comes out.
LOL that definately is another possibility.
Custom Exhaust
Hasport Mounts
Hasport Shiftlinkage
Wings West RS Body Kit
Alpine Sound System
Pioneer Head Unit
My Car

SHO OWNZ ME!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
BBSix will become famous soon enough
do cars this modern even use freon in their cooling systems? i thought they stopped using it a while back.

did you smell the gas/vapor? that should at least give you a hint as to what it is. from what you described it sounds like it could have just been a little condensation build up.
: : : 1998 Championship White Integra GS-R : : : SOLD
Old 08-02-2004, 09:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSix
do cars this modern even use freon in their cooling systems? i thought they stopped using it a while back.

did you smell the gas/vapor? that should at least give you a hint as to what it is. from what you described it sounds like it could have just been a little condensation build up.
Believe it or not most cars use freon or aka freon replacements. Either way you dont want any A/C chemical drifting around the inside of your car.
Custom Exhaust
Hasport Mounts
Hasport Shiftlinkage
Wings West RS Body Kit
Alpine Sound System
Pioneer Head Unit
My Car

SHO OWNZ ME!
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 97 black Prelude type SH
Mods: not much - rims, intake, exhaust tips, clear sidemarkers and turns, 25 LED fogs
phrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sadphrancis is sad...just sad
Yeah, the lude should be using that r34 or something replacement for freon. What time was it when it happened? Was it 4:20?

DESIGN PORTFOLIO FLASH 3D LUDE!!! PRELUDE VID GAME
Old 08-02-2004, 10:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1995 honda civic hatchback
Mods: Swapped B18C, intake,full bolt on hayame exhaust,lowered on tokico blue shocks with maxspeed coilovers, with mugen rims, more mods to come
93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do93h22ajspec Rep God/Goddess with nothing better to do
yeah it happened to me it had like a lil white smoke strat to come out i am hoping it was some condensation but then again ya never know i had my recirculate button on and i wa sdriving to orlando so i am guessin thats what it was
Old 08-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 2001 Prelude SH, 1993 Integra LS
Mods: Prelude: IHE, Pulleys Integra: Intake
chrisjen is an unknown quantity at this point
Both of my cars do the 'smoke' thing with the AC on. If it doesn't smell funny, it is just condensation like said before.
If it smells like anything other than water vapor(it probably doesn't smell), check the coolant lines, heater core, freon lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement