What would cause the engine to suddenly shut off while driving? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Prelude Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
velox69 is an unknown quantity at this point
What would cause the engine to suddenly shut off while driving?

2001 stock prelude

only happens once in a while, but starting to happen more frequently so im getting concerned.

I'll just be driving normaly in reg traffic (light throttle), then engine will just shut off out of no where. Then it'll take a couple trys before engine starts again.

Also happens when i try to start the car sometimes. The engine will turnover and rev, then just die right away a half sec later. Usually takes 2 or 3 tries for engine to stay on. I cant figure out what would cause this, anyone have any ideas??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
magicmax is an unknown quantity at this point
idle stepper motor,
clogged fuel filter would be the one of the first things that comes to my mind.

when was the last complete tuneup done?

can you keep the car running if you give it gas? CEL light?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-03-2005, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile4bidden Needs to go outside once in awhile
FILL UP YOUR GAS TANK!

Sorry, I'm bored!

5gen Prelude Short Shifter coming soon!

ATV District
Old 12-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 99 lude
Mods: too much to list
lOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problem
Did you happen to get the ignition recall thing in the mail. I had mine replaced when I got the recall in the mail. one of the symptoms of not replacing the igntion switch....is sparatic engine shut downs....which seems like you having.

igntion switch (recall)

Car for Sale. PM me.
Aftermarket Parts for sale. PM me.

Old 12-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
Mkazm83 is a jewel in the roughMkazm83 is a jewel in the roughMkazm83 is a jewel in the roughMkazm83 is a jewel in the rough
^^Thats what I was going to say.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 99 prelude
Mods:
djurchicprelude is on a distinguished road
about that ignition recall thing, what if u bought ur car used and dont know if it got it done? how do i find out and can i still get the recall?
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: Honda Prelude
Mods: an air freshner and a pooh bear in the back seat
rich045 has a spectacular aura aboutrich045 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by djurchicprelude
about that ignition recall thing, what if u bought ur car used and dont know if it got it done? how do i find out and can i still get the recall?
just go to honda cause they'll run the car on the comp (vin) and they'll tell you if the car had had it.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
bigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these partsbigz187 is infamous around these parts
I went to honda to have the recall done and I currently have an aftermarket alarm with remote start etc... ( 5-speed) and they told me they could do the recall but they would have to charge me $100 to hook my alarm back up....are they trying to rip me off or what??!!!

check out our new Houston prelude club!!!
www.houstonpreludeclub.com
Old 12-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
magicmax is an unknown quantity at this point
it is insanely easy to undo some wires off the ignition wire harness for an aftermarket alarm. so have them do the recall and do the alarm your self.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
gfresh86 is an unknown quantity at this point
i had the same problem with the dealer too tehy said pretty muc hgo screw yurself and put it in yurself lol. but there are so many wires down there im not sure which wires go where? can anyone help?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car:
Mods:
Blaznh22 is a splendid one to beholdBlaznh22 is a splendid one to beholdBlaznh22 is a splendid one to beholdBlaznh22 is a splendid one to beholdBlaznh22 is a splendid one to beholdBlaznh22 is a splendid one to beholdBlaznh22 is a splendid one to behold
i thought the recalls are for ludes that are from 97-99 or is it all 5th gen lude?? mine is a 00 and i have never had any ignition problem.....

JDM Bandwagon, Wanna Ride?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car:
Mods:
Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?Freakin'H22A What did you do to deserve all this rep?
Don't beleive is the ignition if its only shutting off at iddle. I beleive must be either the air intake clugged. Turning on the car the ECU will start to monitor the a/f ratio. After accelerating, the car will breathe better, even with a clugged air filter it will breath better than at iddle. This will correct the ECU mapping. You see, what is doing is hardly breathing when it turns on and is not very noticable, then breathes a little when a higher vacuum is reached, the ECU has corrected the map deviation but when it reaches idle back again there is not enough air for the fuel compensation, by the time the ECU compares another mapping it will turn off for lack of an unexact mixture.

Fuel Filter should be changed every 60,000 miles.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1988 Prelude 2.0 SI with 4WS
Mods: Just different stuff...
DriftPrelude is an unknown quantity at this point
Well he said it does this also at light acceleration...like in regular traffic...which to me...in my 3rd gen lude...with 5pd...is around 3gs on da tach...so perhaps it is bigger than a clogged air filter...or fuel filter..Mine used to do the shut down thing at idle...after i started it up...sayin from filling up for gas..or just coming outside from a store...id try to start it, and it wouldn't...so id turn the whole car off...then flip it to On for a few seconds...then start...and ta da...she starts right up...but not anymore...tho she dont do too much right now...gotta get that damn exhuast and power steering hose fixed!
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: Honda Prelude
Mods: an air freshner and a pooh bear in the back seat
rich045 has a spectacular aura aboutrich045 has a spectacular aura about
maybe your main relay is about to go? thats one of the things i could think of, i would also think of fuel pump but the description you give doesnt sound like it. my car did that once, i turned on and it shut off, i waited a sec or 2 and it started back up, only happened once though... well how long has it been since you changed your distributor? that could be it too.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 2007 VW Rabbit 2dr
Mods: stock...
Hprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a lifeHprelude92 You need a life
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich045
maybe your main relay is about to go? thats one of the things i could think of, i would also think of fuel pump but the description you give doesnt sound like it. my car did that once, i turned on and it shut off, i waited a sec or 2 and it started back up, only happened once though... well how long has it been since you changed your distributor? that could be it too.
i don't think the main relay has anything to do w/ shutdown under light accelaration... but a check on it would be good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAkuma
Hprelude92: "God EXIST"
SuperAkuma: "How do you know that God exist?"
Hprelude92: "God exist because the Bible said so"
SuperAkuma: "How do I know the Bible is true"
Hprelude92: "Because God wrote the Bible"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement