'99 CRV misfire (P300, P1399, P303, P304) engine codes - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Honda Vehicle Models > CRV Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 04:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
ronzo is an unknown quantity at this point
'99 CRV misfire (P300, P1399, P303, P304) engine codes

My 99 crv recently started displaying the misfire engine codes. I've replaced the plugs, rotor and cap and wires with no luck. It seems to only do it when its a cold start - as post repairs and garage kept it works fine. Also, once the engine warms it runs great and typically when I clear the codes they only return shortly after I start driving the car. Any ideas?

BTW - it coil was showing good secondary resistance (withing range) but the primary resistance was high (1 ohm at 55 degrees F) - but that matched the new one I bought but have not yet installed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car:
Mods:
Hondaid is on a distinguished road
guess what.......your head has burnt up valves.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
ACURATECH is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

IF HAVE SEEN INJECTORS ON PARCEL WARM RESTARTS CAUSE THE PROBLEM , SEEING THAT YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE A BASIC TUNE-UP . I WOULD START WILL INJECTORS NEXT. IF YOU ARE ABLE TO READ CODES I WOULD ASSUME YOU HAVE ACCESS TO FREEZE DATA WHEN THE CODES ARE STORED . I WOULD TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT ECT READINGS

AND BURNT VALVES WOULD NOT GO AWAY AFTER FULL WARM UP OF ENGINE

A VALVE ADJUSTMENT WOULD NOT BE A BAD IDEA EITHER IF ANYTHING IT WOULD INCREASE MPG
Old 01-23-2006, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
diagnosis

from a honda dealer was the #3 valve receding into the head but it only does it when left cold for a long time, otherwise there are no issues and no codes. Its got me wondering what is the cause because a valve problem should show only in the cold and would not show up across all the cylinders (P300 - P304) and P1399 codes. Its going back this week for another look. I'll check injectors too and see if that may be a contributer.

thanks
Old 01-23-2006, 06:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car:
Mods:
Hondaid is on a distinguished road
Dude it is Burnt Valves. If a CRV in the 97-99 range has those codes, it's the valves. What happens is the Cam profiles don't let the exhaust valves enough time to cool. So it leads to them cooking.
In the past year I've had to do like 10 head jobs on them. And all of them have had the same symptoms. And all had the same fix.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Do you know why would it only show codes when cold, when running or on relatively warm starts it always stays clean of misfires (and only shows them in the cold withing the first minute, then a reset won't show them again for the rest of teh day). The honda dealership took it down to the valves and didn't come up with that diagnosis - should I point them to some evidence that'll be showing on my visit this week to verify?
Old 02-16-2006, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 99 honda milano red civic si
Mods: 18 inch motegi mr7, jackson racing super charger,invader carbon fiber hood , jdm black headlights ,reverse el gauges,type r doorpanels, shift boot ,cwest body kit , mb quart componets front and rear jl, and ppi
suprchrgedsi is an unknown quantity at this point
REPLY TO ENGINE CODES PO301-P0304 P1399 MISFIRE RANDOJM MISFIRE

[SIZE=4]THESE CODE ARE FROM AN ACUTRON CHEAPY OBD2 SCANNER I TRIED THE CAP ROTOR AND INJECTOR BECAUSE IT SEEMED I HAD A DEAD CYLINDER EVERYONE WAS LIKE YOUR GONNA HAVE TO REBUILD YOUR HEAD WELLL IN MY LAST ATTEPMT AT FIXING IT I STOPED AT THE PARTS STORE IT WAS NIGHT TIME I FIGURED I WOULD PULL PLUGS OUT ON THE CYLINDER I BELIEVD TO HAVE A BAD INJECTOR AND SPARKS STARTED ARCHING FROM TOP OF PLUG WIRE NOT THROUGH WERE IT SHOULD MAKE CONTACT WITH TOP OF THE PLUG THUS ARCHING OUT ON THE HEAD SO MY RESPONSE CHANGE YOUR PLUG WIRES PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS FIXES YOUR PROBLEM
AND HOPEFULLY EVERYONE HERE WILL TAKE THINGS SLOWER BEFORE TELLING PEOPLE YOUR HEAD IS NO GOOD ALL OF THESE CODES MISFIRE RANDOM AND ELECTRONIC IGNITON CONTROL MALFUNCTION WERE CAUSED IN MY SITUATION BY ONE BAD SPARKPLUG WIRE CAUESED ME TO BELIEVE MY HEAD WAS SCREWED BUT IT WASNT WHEN IN DOUBT TRY THE SIMPLEST OF REMEDIES
Old 02-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
After a number of visits to the dealer it seems like the problem is not the head but either in the sensors in the distributor or TDC sensor. I've already replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor to no avail so it lies deeper than that. The tech I spoke with was not able to explain why the other thought the temp difference of 10-20 degrees would cause the sensors to report or not if it were the head as it should be consistant m uch less why cylinders not affected by the #3 valve being slightly receeded are reporting as they did not measure out of spec. Also - they checked the valves and found no problems with them at all on my last visit so unless burnt valves are not obvious to the technicians that tore into it I'm looking elsewhere.

The problem (reporting) only occurs during the first 30 seconds of startup then goes away and does not return until the car has cooled below freezing temps and is started and warmed up again. Also, starting the engine, stopping it, the restarting it prevents the misfire signal to be reported completely regardless of the initial car temps.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
crvglenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you solve this problem?

I am experiencing the same problems you have just described. Not sure if you come to this forum anymore but would like to find out how you solved this problem. I tried checking resistance of 350 to 700 ohms in the distributor sensors particularly the TDC sensor but measured open on all of them. I was using the Haynes manual as a guide to which pins to measure. I have a Honda 2000 CRV. I have to clear the check engine light all the time after I start the engine, then restart it again. I thought at first the engine misfire occurred because the engine was cold, and whatever sensor that compensates for this had failed. However, I noted after running the engine hot then turning off for a minute could cause the light to come back on. The light only comes on during startup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzo
After a number of visits to the dealer it seems like the problem is not the head but either in the sensors in the distributor or TDC sensor. I've already replaced the plugs, wires, cap and rotor to no avail so it lies deeper than that. The tech I spoke with was not able to explain why the other thought the temp difference of 10-20 degrees would cause the sensors to report or not if it were the head as it should be consistant m uch less why cylinders not affected by the #3 valve being slightly receeded are reporting as they did not measure out of spec. Also - they checked the valves and found no problems with them at all on my last visit so unless burnt valves are not obvious to the technicians that tore into it I'm looking elsewhere.

The problem (reporting) only occurs during the first 30 seconds of startup then goes away and does not return until the car has cooled below freezing temps and is started and warmed up again. Also, starting the engine, stopping it, the restarting it prevents the misfire signal to be reported completely regardless of the initial car temps.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
jpteabags is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzo View Post
My 99 crv recently started displaying the misfire engine codes. I've replaced the plugs, rotor and cap and wires with no luck. It seems to only do it when its a cold start - as post repairs and garage kept it works fine. Also, once the engine warms it runs great and typically when I clear the codes they only return shortly after I start driving the car. Any ideas?

BTW - it coil was showing good secondary resistance (withing range) but the primary resistance was high (1 ohm at 55 degrees F) - but that matched the new one I bought but have not yet installed.
Hi Reading about your problem P3001 P3002 P3003 P004 is more or less the same .You will find that the engine coolant sensor could be faulty !If not the cam sensor and if you cannot test these you are more likely to find th whole problem will be down to the 02 sensor bank 1 or 02 sensor bank 2 one of these is not working
Hope this will help the cheapest way is to go to ebay and get a obd or eobd2 diagnostic cable 16 pin standard and softwarewhich will fit any car above 2001
Sponsored Links
Advertisement