Rattle from right front wheel well going over bumps - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Honda Vehicle Models > CRV Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
NullPointer is on a distinguished road
Rattle from right front wheel well going over bumps

My wife's 2003 Honda CR-V makes a low pitched rattling sound front the right front wheel well when going over bumpy stretches of road. The dealer said the shims are missing from both front brakes and that is likely causing the rattle. I'm skeptical of this since the sound is only coming from the right. Even though they didn't do anything, the rattle happens much less frequently than it did before I took it in (but is definitely still there).

To my very untrained ear, it sounded like something loose in the suspension, but they didn't find any problems.

Can missing brake shims cause a rattle? Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 97 civic ex
Mods: mez :ninja
dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullPointer View Post
My wife's 2003 Honda CR-V makes a low pitched rattling sound front the right front wheel well when going over bumpy stretches of road. The dealer said the shims are missing from both front brakes and that is likely causing the rattle. I'm skeptical of this since the sound is only coming from the right. Even though they didn't do anything, the rattle happens much less frequently than it did before I took it in (but is definitely still there).

To my very untrained ear, it sounded like something loose in the suspension, but they didn't find any problems.

Can missing brake shims cause a rattle? Any other ideas?

Thanks.
does it sound like some thing clanking around or like a "wuwuwuwuwuwuwu" sound

What kind of Work Wheel is this?!?!

Original Pencil Pusher Thread.. never forget

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
More of a wuwuwuwuwu. Happens for only a second or two at a time.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!dom yo Bow down before me!
Quote:
More of a wuwuwuwuwu. Happens for only a second or two at a time.
might want to jack it up and see if there is any play in the wheels

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dom yo View Post
might want to jack it up and see if there is any play in the wheels
Sorry I'm not that good with cars. What do you mean by "play in the wheels"? If there is play in the wheels, what would that indicate?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Quote:
Sorry I'm not that good with cars. What do you mean by "play in the wheels"? If there is play in the wheels, what would that indicate?

Thanks so much for your help.
jack it up, but a hand on the top and one on the bottom and shake the wheel, if its stiff and has no movement then youre good, if there is movement you need a ball joint, now do the same thing but side to side, if there is no play then youre good but if there is then youll need a tie rod

Reppin Richmond

I DO NOT GET A VOTE.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
be aware,m the wuwuwuwuwuwuwwu sound can also be from un balanced tires, which would also cause vibration at certain speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caramel Chocolate Lover View Post
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement