do clouds make it warmer at night? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda Lifestyle & Entertainment > Honda Off-Topic Lounge

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Does cloud cover at night resulting in warmer temperatures?
yes 13 81.25%
no (explain) 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: Beyonz
Mods: Porsche air filter
90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!
do clouds make it warmer at night?

I think with the presence of cloud cover at night it helps to hold the heat from the day between the clouds and earth's crust, resulting in a relatively warmer night. Granted in the winter time it will be cold regardless but with no clouds its much colder. And visa versa with the summer time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 1994 civic EX
Mods: nothing special ;)
Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
nope.......they cant, they are floating water, they have no insulation properties, fluxuation in tempratures will either cause them to rain,hail,snow,fog, in which case if you are outside and get wet you get cold real fast.....moisture+winter temps=disaster
Old 11-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
the water vapor in clouds act like a green house gas (i think it's more dense than co2). sun shining down during the day heats the ground. if it gets cloudy at night, the heat doesn't radiate into space...instead the clouds reflect some of the radiant heat back down

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 1990 CRX; 1983 Caballero Diablo (El Camino)
Mods: Breathalized starter interruption.............
jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?jordan_myers you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoly View Post
nope.......they cant, they are floating water, they have no insulation properties, fluxuation in tempratures will either cause them to rain,hail,snow,fog, in which case if you are outside and get wet you get cold real fast.....moisture+winter temps=disaster
=FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
the water vapor in clouds act like a green house gas (i think it's more dense than co2). sun shining down during the day heats the ground. if it gets cloudy at night, the heat doesn't radiate into space...instead the clouds reflect some of the radiant heat back down
x2

PS3 Trophies
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car:
Mods:
Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?Agent_Jim you're still here?
Jello
Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?
Yes. The more humid the air the better it retains heat/cold. I assume this is why the day night temp changes in deserts are so extreme, dry air and no clouds the heat from the day is radiated back into the atmosphere as there is no layer to retain it.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 2009 Subaru Legacy
Mods:
hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!hotsauce_gm Bow down before me!
do fart clouds make your couch cushions warmer?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 1994 civic EX
Mods: nothing special ;)
Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroDamus View Post
Yes. The more humid the air the better it retains heat/cold.
9th grade-MS Date...anything hot will attempt to heat and equalize tempratures with itself until it loses its energy, as an example if you put a hot cup of coffee in the fridge, it tries to heat up the fridge, but it loses all energy and cools, point being, i dont belive that clouds have anything to do with temps, aside from blocking sunlight
Old 11-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 92Prelude/01S2000
Mods: not stock
crdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peonscrdcz03 Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce_gm View Post
do fart clouds make your couch cushions warmer?
i vote yes.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 79 Yugo
Mods: Fuzzy dice hanging in the mirror, chrome hub caps, oversized waabaa valves
ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?
the weatherman told me they do, and hes never wrong

but seriously i think they do
Old 11-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomoly View Post
9th grade-MS Date...anything hot will attempt to heat and equalize tempratures with itself until it loses its energy, as an example if you put a hot cup of coffee in the fridge, it tries to heat up the fridge, but it loses all energy and cools, point being, i dont belive that clouds have anything to do with temps, aside from blocking sunlight
Well you are taking what she said out of context. Clouds do trap heat. If it is hot all day and then in the afternoon some clouds roll in (no rain) they do trap the heat that is being radiated from the surface. Heat does not just pass through the clouds as if they were not there. Will a hot bowl of soup cool faster, with or without a a cloth laid over the top? I think the answer is obvious.

Something is better than nothing. The solar radiation that heats the surface of the earth is released as infrared radiation, when there is a dense layer of water vapor (clouds) that radiation is reflected back and it is retained between the surface and that layer, more than it escapes above the lower atmosphere.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car:
Mods:
Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?
bullshit.

that is all.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant Runaway View Post
bullshit.

that is all.
You are bullshit.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car:
Mods:
Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?Elegant Runaway you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NegroDamus View Post
I am bullshit.
yes, yes you are.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 79 Yugo
Mods: Fuzzy dice hanging in the mirror, chrome hub caps, oversized waabaa valves
ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?ATISTANG you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant Runaway View Post
yes, yes you are.
*ring*
hello?
*click*

1999 just called, they want there quote editing trick back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement