1998 Accord: Problems starting. - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum > Accord - V6

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1998 Honda Accord V6
Mods: HKS Mega Flow Intake, HKS Exhaust
MrLogan13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1998 Accord: Problems starting.

Hello, everyone. I'm a noob on this forum, so please excuse the noob questions. I have a 1998 Accord V6 Sedan. Recently, I've had some trouble starting the car. When I turn the ignition, it'll try to start but won't. I have to try another 2 or so times before the engine will start. It usually only does this when I start the car for the first time that day. And it doesn't do it all the time; it's kind of sporadic. And only in the last month.

Any idea on what could possibly be causing this? I'm going to take it to the shop in the next week or two, but just wanted to know what the possibilities/likliehood might be. Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 2000 accord 4...99 subi legacy gt....89 mazda 323
Mods: GUDE: ported/milled head,tb,manifold,cam(lift 400 dur.262)DC sports header,APEXi WSII exhaust,AEM cold air,walboro fuel pump,SKUNK2 cam gear, GREDDY e-manage (tuned by GODSPEED)
as_fast_as_u has a spectacular aura aboutas_fast_as_u has a spectacular aura about
there was a recall, due to a faulty ignition switch.....that could be the problem....contact your dealer for recall info
2000 accord...GUDE: ported/milled head,tb,manifold,cam(lift 400 dur.262)DC sports header,APEXi WSII exhaust,AEM cold air,walboro fuel pump,SKUNK2 cam gear, GREDDY e-manage (tuned by Dan at Tuning Factory)
"In time we hate that which we often fear..." William Shakespeare

Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening, when you'd have preferred to talk.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 1999 accord ex v6 coupe
Mods: typhoon intake, magnaflow dual exhaust
wg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud of
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=25691
read that post, that is your problem, guaranteed. i had this same problem and a new relay solved it 100%.
Future Mods- Rims, 1.5-2 inch drop
Old 12-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg2k7
http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...ad.php?t=25691
read that post, that is your problem, guaranteed. i had this same problem and a new relay solved it 100%.
Thanks for the info, both of you. It's very much appreciated.

Any other possibilities?
Old 12-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

wg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud of
where do you live. by any chance is it warm or humid there? this has been known to cause the main relay to fail. really what the main relay does is it sends the signal to the gas pump to send fuel into the engine, and when it fails, essentially it is like you are trying to start a car with no gas. sometimes after a few minutes itll start because the car warms up/cools down to whatever temp the relay will work at. a fresh main relay with fix it and its only 30 bucks to do it yourself, dont pay anyone to do it. shops tried to charge me 120 bucks and its just a 5 min install.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
where do you live. by any chance is it warm or humid there? this has been known to cause the main relay to fail. really what the main relay does is it sends the signal to the gas pump to send fuel into the engine, and when it fails, essentially it is like you are trying to start a car with no gas. sometimes after a few minutes itll start because the car warms up/cools down to whatever temp the relay will work at. a fresh main relay with fix it and its only 30 bucks to do it yourself, dont pay anyone to do it. shops tried to charge me 120 bucks and its just a 5 min install.
I live in the Los Angeles area, and it's usually warm. It started acting up just this past month or so, when it started to get cold. It's been getting pretty cold overnight, at least as cold as it gets here in California. Down to about the 40's or so at night.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

well order that part tonight, or asap. the car not starting can become worse as it did for me, going from once a month not startings to bi-weekly, which can be a pain in the ass for work. get it done as fast as you can to avoid anything like that. install is as easy as 1,2,3. just follow that link i sent you. if your a big guy (im 6"4) it might be tough to get down there and get the relay out, i had my little brother do it.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
well order that part tonight, or asap. the car not starting can become worse as it did for me, going from once a month not startings to bi-weekly, which can be a pain in the ass for work. get it done as fast as you can to avoid anything like that. install is as easy as 1,2,3. just follow that link i sent you. if your a big guy (im 6"4) it might be tough to get down there and get the relay out, i had my little brother do it.
Yeah, I'll do it ASAP. Thanks so much for the good info. I may have to get a little guy to help me out. I'm 6'.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 2011 Accord EX
Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
can you describle what happens when the problem occurs?

i mean, you turn the key and hold it in the start position:

does the engine crank?
do the dash lights come on?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondatechAV6
can you describle what happens when the problem occurs?

i mean, you turn the key and hold it in the start position:

does the engine crank?
do the dash lights come on?
The engine cranks when I turn the key and hold it in the start position. I'll turn it maybe one more time, and it'll crank and not start. Then I'll disengage the key, replace it, turn and then it starts.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
do you have a massive keychain?

does the immobilizer light flash when your cranking/no start?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Okay, I've taken the car to the dealer. Apparently, something with the battery. There's enough power for it to crank, but not enough for it to spark. :eek
Old 12-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
that can happen, but you never mentioned it had a slow crank.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

i say bullshit. i had the same thing, my dealer told me to replace my battery, went back cuz it still didnt work, they said to replace the alternator, still didnt fix it, then they said to replace something else in the ignition that cost 150 to do, then i went on v6p.net and read that link i sent you and it fixed it. not saying dealers wrong...but its possible. and seriously, i say get your battery tested at discount auto parts or something before buying a new one, a new battery costs what, 80-100 bucks? maybe more, and a main relay is 30. just telling about my past experiences
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
if it was slow cranking, it's fairly common for the starter to lower the system voltage to as low as 6volts leaving nothing left for the pcm to work with.

turning the headlights on before starting for 10-15 seconds, then turning them off can help. it causes the battery to heat up a little from chemical reactions inside it, also increasing available voltage.

basicially it's the same thing as him cranking for 10 seconds with a no start, then trying again and it starts.

the main relays are a common failure, but 99% of the time fail only in hot weather, or after you start the car on a cold day, you drive and drive with the heat on, and shut off your car. then you go back to it 10 minutes later and just crank and crank all day. keep in mind if that happens you can just tap on the main relay while cranking and it will usually start right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement