2000 Accord v6 hard to start w/ hot engine - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum > Accord - V6

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
tta197 is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 Accord v6 hard to start w/ hot engine

My 2000 v6 Accord is hard to start when the engine is fully warmed up. It'll start but I have to race the engine or else it will die. I have a check engine light which is an engine misfire. Car has had the EGR mod. done by the dealer last year.

Car starts normal when cold or after it sits for a half hour. It has 76,000 miles on it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 2011 Accord EX
Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
this is most likely a fuel vapor issue.

fuel boils in the fuel rail causing a hard start after a 'hot soak'.

the fix is to replace the fuel pressure regulator and the pcm.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Is the PCM over by the passenger side, in the same area that cabin filter is at? I replaced the filters a few weeks ago and thought I saw the PCM.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
first of all, is your Vin within these ranges:

1HGCG2......YA000001 thru 1HGCG2......YA035748

or

1HGCG1......YA000001 thru 1HGCG1......YA076104?

if so, when the problem is occuring, remove the fuel pressure regulator. keep in mind there will be a lot of pressure in the lines from fuel pump residual pressure(around 45psi) and if the fuel is boiling in the rail that pressure too, so fuel will spray out initially. watch your eyes. after the pressure release, remove the regulator quickly! you will be able to see fuel still boiling in the lines! it's really cool! i say to do this because this is an expensive repair. the pcm is not cheap.

the replacement fuel pressure regulator increases it's opening point, holding more pressure in the fuel lines. higher pressure means higher boiling point.
the replacement pcm is updated to work with a higher fuel pressure, so it reduces injector on-time to keep things happy.

there's the pcm location and the part number. the kit contains the new pcm and fuel pressure regulator.

Edit:

you'll probably notice this only happens in cold weather when it's unseasonably warm some days. it's a problem with the winter blend fuel. this fuel is specially formulated to improve cold weather driveability. this fuel has a lower boiling point that normal non-winter blend fuel. it's a seasonal problem, if you can live with it, try to. $$ is $$.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
I think you're right. It started doing this on the day we had unusally warm weather. I was at a 1/4 tank on cheap Kroger gas (Kroger is a grocery store chain we have here in Indianapolis). I then filled up with 93 octane from BP and it has not acted up since then. Although I will not continue to use 93, I will probably stop using gas from this Kroger (they just don't sell enough gas at this location and I think what's in their tanks goes stale).

As a side note, I'm in the middle of changing my timing belt and I have a question about that. I'll post a new thread if I can't find an answer after a search.

Thanks for your help.....
Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
ok, np.

i just had a car today that needed this kit. the price was $697 for it!! unless 93 has a higher boiling point that 87 it will probably happen again under those conditions.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
paul123 is on a distinguished road
2000 honda accord ex v6 engine hard to start when hot?

Hello all

Have a 2000 Honda EX-V6 coupe with 110K miles. One day recently the check engine light came on and had a OBDII scanner and came up with EGR malfunction and misfires on all cylinders. Had EGR kit installed and EGR ports cleaned by Honda dealership but, cost me 225.00 because it was out of warranty.

Now having problems starting car when the engine is hot. No problems when engine is cold or running. Replaced plugs and tried replacing ignition coils but, still having problems. Got money back for new coils purchased. I came across this website and other websites of others complaining of this problem. I can't believe this is actually happening to all these hondas. I did call my local dealership about the TSB#00-024 and they told me exactly what the Honda Tech on this website said to remedy this problem.

Does anyone know why this happened to me at 110K miles instead of 40 or 50K miles?

Anyway, I know this is not a fix to this problem but, I did find out if you drive your car and then stop and shut the engine off, and they re-start the engine and let it run for about 10 sec. and shut it off again, it will most likely start with no problems when you come back 20-30 min later when the engine is still hot. I know this is working for me!

Did anyone else try this?

Paul
Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
paul123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tta197 View Post
My 2000 v6 Accord is hard to start when the engine is fully warmed up. It'll start but I have to race the engine or else it will die. I have a check engine light which is an engine misfire. Car has had the EGR mod. done by the dealer last year.

Car starts normal when cold or after it sits for a half hour. It has 76,000 miles on it.
Hello all

Have a 2000 Honda EX-V6 coupe with 110K miles. One day recently the check engine light came on and had a OBDII scanner and came up with EGR malfunction and misfires on all cylinders. Had EGR kit installed and EGR ports cleaned by Honda dealership but, cost me 225.00 because it was out of warranty.

Now having problems starting car when the engine is hot. No problems when engine is cold or running. Replaced plugs and tried replacing ignition coils but, still having problems. Got money back for new coils purchased. I came across this website and other websites of others complaining of this problem. I can't believe this is actually happening to all these hondas. I did call my local dealership about the TSB#00-024 and they told me exactly what the Honda Tech on this website said to remedy this problem.

Does anyone know why this happened to me at 110K miles instead of 40 or 50K miles?

Anyway, I know this is not a fix to this problem but, I did find out if you drive your car and then stop and shut the engine off, and they re-start the engine and let it run for about 10 sec. and shut it off again, it will most likely start with no problems when you come back 20-30 min later when the engine is still hot. I know this is working for me!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Weather is on a distinguished road
I'm having the Warm start problem as well. Also have a 2000 Acccord EX V6. I'd like to try replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator. However, I'm not sure where it is. Does anyone have a diagram or detailed instructions on how to get at it under the hood?

Is it under the valve cover gasket?

Also, I just had the PCM replaced several months ago on an unrelated matter. I'm assuming I won't have to replace this again. However, would it need to be "reprogrammed" to accept the new Fuel Pressure Regulator?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement