2000 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe Won't Start - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum > Accord - V6

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
HondaTX is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2000 Honda Accord V6 EX Coupe Won't Start

I need some help, guys. My 2000 Honda Accord V6 EX won't start. I never had this problem before. I went to work, parked the car and when I wanted to go home at the end of the day, the car would not start. The battery is fine. I even got a jump and the car did not start. When I turn the ignition to start the car, it clicks only ONCE and nothing else happens. I checked all the fuses and they're all good. I had the alternator replaced about a year ago. I'm wondering if the starter motor needs to be replaced. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong with my car?

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 1999 accord ex v6 coupe
Mods: typhoon intake, magnaflow dual exhaust
wg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud of
well i cant find the post right now, im gunna keep looking hopefully ill find it before too late, but i have had this problem as well as many other av6 owners. if your engine will turn over but not catch or ignite, you need to replace your main relay. its just a little 30 dollar peice of plastic under the dash that takes 5 min to install.
ok nevermind, i already found it.
Problems starting and questions on mods
read through that whole thing, i have a link posted near the bottom with directions on how to replace it yourself. easy fix, hopefully thats what you needed. if its as i described it, engine turns but wont catch, thats your problem.
Future Mods- Rims, 1.5-2 inch drop
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: '93 Accord LX, '89 Nissan 240sx
Mods: family car = NOT A RACE CAR
SonsOfWisdom is on a distinguished road
Well first check your starter. If it clicks once but doesn't turn over that is usually and indication that your started is bad. The one click is the solenoid clicking over but there is an open in the windings so it can't turn.

You can lightly tap on the starter to see if this makes it start but this is a one time test to perform...and should only be done to get it started to pull into the shop. If you beat on it you could brake the magnets loose...which doesn't matter too much if it was bad in the first place as you would need to replace it...if it isn't the starter then your out a good starter so use caution.

If this is a common problem you can try the relay as suggested but since your engine did not turn over just a click, I suspect the starter.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car: Accord V6 coupe
Mods: AEM V2 intake
Jenney316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTX
I need some help, guys. My 2000 Honda Accord V6 EX won't start. I never had this problem before. I went to work, parked the car and when I wanted to go home at the end of the day, the car would not start. The battery is fine. I even got a jump and the car did not start. When I turn the ignition to start the car, it clicks only ONCE and nothing else happens. I checked all the fuses and they're all good. I had the alternator replaced about a year ago. I'm wondering if the starter motor needs to be replaced. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong with my car?

Thanks.

Out of curiosity did you figure it out? What was the problem?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
It was the starter. I had it replaced and the car is running again. I have another problem now. The "check engine light" is on. I took it to Autozone and they told me I need to replace the EGR valve. Honda had a service bulletin for the EGR valve for my car, but I don't know if my car still qualifies for a free repair. My honda has almost 105K miles.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
audioxbliss is just really niceaudioxbliss is just really niceaudioxbliss is just really niceaudioxbliss is just really niceaudioxbliss is just really nice
my light came on at 105k miles, but when i took it to honda they said there was nothing wrong. they turned off the light and 15 miles away from the dealer the light came back on magically. turned around, got another check, everything was fine. stupid car. i think it's just to warn you that you have a "honda scheduled maintenance" coming up. my best guess.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
If the check engine light is on, there're is something wrong. It's easy to turn off the light: just disconnect the battery and wait a minute or so. If there's something wrong with the car, the light will come back on after a few more miles. Take your car to Autozone. They will check your car for free and tell you what's wrong with your car. I can tell you that most likely the EGR valve needs to be replaced.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: '93 Accord LX, '89 Nissan 240sx
Mods: family car = NOT A RACE CAR
SonsOfWisdom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaTX
If the check engine light is on, there're is something wrong. It's easy to turn off the light: just disconnect the battery and wait a minute or so. If there's something wrong with the car, the light will come back on after a few more miles. Take your car to Autozone. They will check your car for free and tell you what's wrong with your car. I can tell you that most likely the EGR valve needs to be replaced.
Well...autozone will tell you what the code is but that really won't tell you what the problem is. Trust me on that, of the many vehicles I've had in the shop only 2 of the MIL's actually were for the exact failed part.

If you go to autozone they will give you the code...then call the dealership and ask them for specifics on that code...better yet since the toyo dealership I work for owns a honda dealership too...post it here and I can give you a Honda book deffinition. Can't promise diagnosis though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement