Transmission oil cooler - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum > Accord - V6

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
kungfu is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission oil cooler

Hello everyone,
I have a '98 Honda Accord LX V6 coupe with 92k miles and I would like to have a transmission cooler installed; the word is they extend transmission life. First, I am not sure if the car has one from the factory and I am adding a second or if it does not have one at all. Also, would you please recommend a good one? Thanks to all for your help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 2011 Accord EX
Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
yes, it does have a factory transmission cooler in the radiator but...NO FILTER!
problem #1!
and it does a CRAPPY job!!
problem #2!

get yourself a B&M cooler, the cheapest one will do, but i'm going for the 'hi-tek' one. if you want to stay stock..you can probably juryrig up a 2000 odyssey accessory trans cooler*better than nothing*

also get yourself the auto trans filter that comes with a dealer installed trans replacement. just go up to the parts guy at a honda dealer and ask for it. hopefully he's good and will spend the time to look it up, it's a hassle.

Joe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
s_dot is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm.. I like that idea -so, is B&M a better brand, or any (doesnt matter)?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
its just that b&m have been around for a long long time and i'd trust them more than some cheap thing. probably any reputable brand would be fine.

joe
Old 08-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
kungfu is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your replies. Some people have posted threads about another brand that it is supposed to be good too but it takes some labor to get it done. I believe it was Hayden 403.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
i like that b&m 'hi tek' model because of the attached automatic cooling fan with the trans. temp sensor. at 175F it will just automatically turn that fan on! hmmm.....just got paid....nothing to spend the money on... EBAY TIME~~

joe
Old 08-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 1999 accord ex v6 coupe
Mods: typhoon intake, magnaflow dual exhaust
wg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud ofwg2k7 has much to be proud of
i beleive comptech makes one too
Future Mods- Rims, 1.5-2 inch drop
Old 08-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
I just got a tranny cooler (15" lenght x 6"width), I need a spot to install it.. where is it most effective? Any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
i just got my trans cooler in the mail. i plan on putting it on the driver side in front of the condenser. maybe i'll do it tomorrow.

i'll let you know how it goes.

joe
Old 08-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
holy crap....i installed it. what a job...

it took me 4 hours to install. in the shop. using air and a hoist.

i installed it in front of the condensor on the driver side. the passenger side has a power steering cooler in the way.

i drilled two holes through the front bumper support in the area i needed. i then used two 4" bolts to shoot through the support and hold onto my cooler, and made two 9" brackets to support the cooler from all 4 mounting spots.

then i ran the electric fan directly from the battery with an inline fuse, through the temp switch then then ground. i used the horn ground since it's right there.

i'll look up a circuit that is powered only when the key is on in my spare time, i just wanted to get it going!! i'll wire in my own if i have too! besides, the thermal switch shuts off the fan once the temp reaches 140F, so it won't run for more than 1min if the engine is off.

routing the extra cooler lines and installing corrugated tubing around all my wires and lines with zip ties making it all pretty took a lot of time. if your not
doing this yourself a shop might take short cuts and not be so meticulous. this thing installed looks very professional. after all, i AM a professional!!

i'd say a shop would probably charge you 4-7 hours labor.

oh, my cooler is about 9" by 9". it's the B&M model 70298
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
I will be installing myself (cutting out the middle-man). I did take a look at it yesterday and you are right....thats no no to the drivers side, only spot will be the passengers side. Will let you know how that goes.

Another question.. off topic.. chck eng. light came on about a month ago, because of a bad EGR val. - is it really urgent to change it? I'm getting diff. opinions from everyone i talk to. Honda charging like $200 something for it, but I can get it at half the price here: http://www.tasauto.com/
Old 08-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
well, that depends.

what year/model car? the dealer has a warranty extension for egr if it has the right code and year/model. let me know and i'll let you know.

joe
Old 08-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
98 Honda Accord Coupe AV6 - let me know if you need anything else.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
yeah, the egr coverage is for 8years/80,000 miles. you might have just tipped the 8 year mark.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Another question..
I havent installed the tranny cooler yet but i was wondering which line is the return line or how do i know which line goes back to the transmission.
thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement