Valve Noise at idle - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Accord Forum > Accord - V6

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 2006 Accord EXL V6
Mods: K&N CAI, Window Tint
06V6Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve Noise at idle

I have a 2006 V6 Accord coupe. I ahve noticed that at idle, I can hear a chatter coming from the motor. It sounds like loose valve chatter. I was wondering if this is something that is normal or if there is a TSB for this issue.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 206 Coupe.bmp (28.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Honda-NSXR-037.jpg (147.5 KB, 12 views)
Window Tint

Wish List Upgrades:
Full Exhaust
Coil Over Suspension
U and L Sway Bars
Drilled Slotted Discs
Injectors

Intake Manifold
Port and Polish
CAM gears
CAM's
ECU
poss. Turbo and Nitrous
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 93 civic dx
Mods:
iLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapy
how many miles on it? what type/brand of oil do you use?
was that with a warm or cold motor?
1993 Civic dx-sold
1991 Galant VR-4 sold
1991 Eclipse gsx-sold
If I two-step your A$$ then you know I'm serious!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

I notice it when the vehicle is warm or cold. It is louder when it is cold. It currently has about 25,934 on it. I use Mobile1 SuperSynthetic 5W/30. Honda Recommends 5W/30 for this engine. I also only run 91 octane. I live at 6,000 ft. also. I once thought that I had read that the dealership was supposed to tighten the valves during a scheduled maintenance period.
Window Tint

Wish List Upgrades:
Full Exhaust
Coil Over Suspension
U and L Sway Bars
Drilled Slotted Discs
Injectors

Intake Manifold
Port and Polish
CAM gears
CAM's
ECU
poss. Turbo and Nitrous
Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 93 civic dx
Mods:
iLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapy
take it to the dealer to have the valves adjusted. i don't know for sure if its covered by the warranty but its worth a shot.
1993 Civic dx-sold
1991 Galant VR-4 sold
1991 Eclipse gsx-sold
If I two-step your A$$ then you know I'm serious!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 2011 Accord EX
Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
valve adjustment is first due at 105,000 miles, and typcially need very little adjustment.

i have had a brand new 07 accord v6 with 300 miles with a loose valve. it was only present when the engine was cold, which was werid.

actually, we called techline before adjusting the valves. they said in the history of the J engine, since 98(on the honda side) they have never once recieved a call about an engine noise.

try and take a high quality sound sample and post it.

describe the chatter.

it could be normal, i.e. injectors clicking noise or purge control solenoid operation.

listen to the clicking as you goose the throttle(no more than a few hundred rpm. you can usually hear the injectors speed up signifignatly.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Solved

I took my accord into the dealer and they did adjust the valves a little bit. The tech I spoke with did say that he could hear them at idle, warm or cold. It is much better now.
Window Tint

Wish List Upgrades:
Full Exhaust
Coil Over Suspension
U and L Sway Bars
Drilled Slotted Discs
Injectors

Intake Manifold
Port and Polish
CAM gears
CAM's
ECU
poss. Turbo and Nitrous
Old 02-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
engineta is an unknown quantity at this point
I have 2006 V6 AT accord sedan, the milage is just 1400 miles. The vehicle is under warrenty and has full service in the dealer workshop. I have the same valve idle noise. It seems to me like knoking noise. I use 98 octane gas. I first noticed the valve noise when I compared my vehicle to my friends vehicle who bought it from the same dealer a week ahead of me
I've contacted the dealer 3 times and he said the noise will disappear as the milage reaches 5000 miles.

any thoughts??
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: EG8
Mods: SCCA - STC / FSP
slammed jdm is just really niceslammed jdm is just really niceslammed jdm is just really niceslammed jdm is just really nice
I have heard this problem in many new vehicles including, hyundai's and mitsubishi's the noise normally seems to disipate but if this bothers you alot until it does go away on it's own, the only thing that seems to calm it down a little is lucas oil stabilizer... synthetic or conventional doens't matter it seems to help not to mention is good for engine life keeps them clean and better lubricated...

~Team Breaking Point Fabrication and Repair~

~~~~~Owner/Fabricator/Technician~~~~~
...Yes I am a Dick, and No I do not care what you think...
Old 03-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
HondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problemHondatechAV6 has a Rep problem
lucas in a new car? totally uncessary.

if the noise you hear is only at idle, like a slight tapping, it's probably the pcv operating, injector clicking or valve tap.

if you only hear it while pulling away on a cold start, it's most likely a characteristic of this v6 engine. it's a light to moderate thud thud thud in relation to vehicle speed? piston slap. normal. when the engine is fully warmed up all the clearances come together as designed and the noise is totally gone.

errr....which do you have?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: EG8
Mods: SCCA - STC / FSP
slammed jdm is just really niceslammed jdm is just really niceslammed jdm is just really niceslammed jdm is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondatechAV6
lucas in a new car? totally uncessary.

if the noise you hear is only at idle, like a slight tapping, it's probably the pcv operating, injector clicking or valve tap.

if you only hear it while pulling away on a cold start, it's most likely a characteristic of this v6 engine. it's a light to moderate thud thud thud in relation to vehicle speed? piston slap. normal. when the engine is fully warmed up all the clearances come together as designed and the noise is totally gone.

errr....which do you have?
no shit numb nuts, I was giving a helpful hint to cure his problem... yes it will work, no it's not necessary if the noise is an annoyance that will aid it... ok, enough said lay off my shit.

~Team Breaking Point Fabrication and Repair~

~~~~~Owner/Fabricator/Technician~~~~~
...Yes I am a Dick, and No I do not care what you think...
Old 03-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed jdm
no shit numb nuts, I was giving a helpful hint to cure his problem... yes it will work, no it's not necessary if the noise is an annoyance that will aid it... ok, enough said lay off my shit.
can't we all..just....get along?

wow, i'm just telling it how it is. no brand new honda engine needs any kind of oil additive to fix any kind of noise though! especially since the oil added from the factory is a highly formulated treated oil with a lot of additives aka break in oil. always drive this oil at least 3,000 miles before you change it for the first time. (this is my opinion, i'm not a fan of the 'hard break in period' if you know what i'm talking about)

lately every time i post and you post either of us end up biting each others head off, either directly or indirectly. lets just say our piece and let the poster decide what to do. if you want or i want to correct someone or each other, lets be civil about it and state some reasoning behind it. from one tech to another - the answer it always tech A and B are correct.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 2007 Honda Accord V-6 | 6-Speed Manual | Silver
Mods: Bone Stock
mrjswift is on a distinguished road
I have this same problem with my 07' V6 Honda Accord 6 Speed Sedan at idle, no matter if the car is warm or cold. None of my other hondas ever made this much noise but this is also my first v6 accord as well. I really don't mind that is makes noise but all my buddies say it's very noticable and I should get it looked at. I really don't think its a big deal but if a valve adjustment could get it sounding clean, that would be cool with me.

Anyone else have any ideas on this, besides what has been posted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement