engine oil flush ! - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum > Civic Si / SiR Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2003, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1995
Mods: 95 civic hb b18 ls i/h/e ecu/clutch/flywheel
mclean987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
engine oil flush !

wats the best cheapest way to flush engine ? i use synthetic oil only and change oil a few days ago and its black again, is it true that synthetic oiul should be changed every 5k and not 3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2003, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 Civic Si
Mods: intake, dual tip muffler, full body kit, carbon fiber top wing, wings west mid wing,Skunk 2 rear lower tie bar, Tokico illumina's & 1.5inch drop springs, Skunk @ short throw shifter, Jackson Racing front upper tie bar, Rota Circut 8's with Kuhmo
smithby is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Gunk motor flush every other time that I change my oil. For oil I use which ever major band is on sale. But I do only use Fram filters. My oil stays fairly clean for a while. I have been do this for about 15 years now. My 10 year old Civic Si still does not use any oil.

You can buy Gunk Motor flush at some auto parts stores.

I have also heard that you can add some kerosene to your oil to help clean out the block.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-15-2003, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 1999 Civic SiR (EBP)
Mods:
Maniac will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by smithby
I use Gunk motor flush every other time that I change my oil. For oil I use which ever major band is on sale. But I do only use Fram filters. My oil stays fairly clean for a while. I have been do this for about 15 years now. My 10 year old Civic Si still does not use any oil.

You can buy Gunk Motor flush at some auto parts stores.

I have also heard that you can add some kerosene to your oil to help clean out the block.
Dude, Fram filters? They are one the worst made filters ever. OEM Honda filters are basically the same price and they are a much better designed filter. I am sure there are other aftermarket filters that are good, but Fram is definately not one of them.

Kerosene or Diesel fuel can be used to flush the engine if you want to, but I haven't heard of using that in a very long time.

MrClean: You could use one of these methods to flush your motor out but my recommendation is to just increase your oil change intervals. Engine oil has detergents in it, so it's designed to clean and get dirty. Unless you know this engine has been treated really badly I don't think I would do a flush. I would just change the oil more frequently over the next little while. Every 1500 miles or something.

If that doesn't help in a few oil changes then consider using a flush solution.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Car: 2012 Infiniti G37
Mods:
Johnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Dude, Fram filters? They are one the worst made filters ever. OEM Honda filters are basically the same price and they are a much better designed filter. I am sure there are other aftermarket filters that are good, but Fram is definately not one of them.

Kerosene or Diesel fuel can be used to flush the engine if you want to, but I haven't heard of using that in a very long time.

MrClean: You could use one of these methods to flush your motor out but my recommendation is to just increase your oil change intervals. Engine oil has detergents in it, so it's designed to clean and get dirty. Unless you know this engine has been treated really badly I don't think I would do a flush. I would just change the oil more frequently over the next little while. Every 1500 miles or something.

If that doesn't help in a few oil changes then consider using a flush solution.
Yeah every know and then I use run rite oil system cleaner. Basically you put it in about 5 minutes before you change your oil, and just let the car idle with it in there. Then I usually run 1 QT of regualr oil through the car after the oil has been drained just to clean it out some more. THen I use Mobil 1 with a HONDA filter!!!

I don't use the oil cleaner every time, but maybe every 2-3 times. My oil is still very clean after 3k miles when I change it...

12 Infiniti G37

2000 EBP Si
STOLEN 11-21-04
Team OG AKA v00tecsi
Old 01-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1995
Mods: 95 civic hb b18 ls i/h/e ecu/clutch/flywheel
mclean987 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
thanks for replies dudes i used a engine flush today and idled for 5 minutes before i changed my oil to castrol fullsynthetic with hondfa filter, gonna watch it and see if it gets dirty in a few days like it usually does
Old 01-15-2003, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 2000 EBP Civic SI
Mods: AEM CAI, Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust, DC Sports 4-1 header, Fuel pressure regulator, Tie bars, Strut tower bars, Neuspeed race springs, Ingalls front and rear camber kits. Mounted battery in trunk. Removed cruise control, power steering, a.c.
Civic_SI_777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Synthetic oil is designed to work longer without breaking down but it also so much more expensive you are not gaining anything. Dont run a quart of regular motor oil through your engine to clean it out before filling up with synthetic. You are not supposed to mix the different types of motor oils. Once you have decided to either go with synthetic or non-synthetic you should stay with that type. You also dont need to change your oil at 1500 miles. Its pointless. Just make sure you have completely drained the old oil out. The best thing to do is not drive your car for at least 3 hours or so as all the old motor oil will have drained to the pan. Drain it fully. Change your oil filter every other oil change. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you stuff you dont need. Fram filters are fine. A lot of the products out there are made by the same companies. Discount auto parts oil is made by valvoline or quaker state.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Mods:
Johnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_SI_777
Dont run a quart of regular motor oil through your engine to clean it out before filling up with synthetic. You are not supposed to mix the different types of motor oils. Once you have decided to either go with synthetic or non-synthetic you should stay with that type.
I understand that, but there is nothing wrong with pouring some oil in the car while its draining to get the extra nasty shit out. It may not be a whole quart, but I usually pour it in, and let it drain until the oil coming back out looks bran new. Then I let it sit there and drain for a while to ensure every last drip is out.

There is nothng wrong with doing that (besides wasting oil, but I get it for free) Its not like I'm mixing the oil while the car is running, its just simply going in, then right back out, just to clean things out...

12 Infiniti G37

2000 EBP Si
STOLEN 11-21-04
Team OG AKA v00tecsi
Old 01-16-2003, 02:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 92 civic hb
Mods: b16a
Stripes777 is an unknown quantity at this point
you guys got newer cars so its cool, but for u guys out there with older cars, dont flush the engine. you'll clean out all the grit and grime, some of which is sealing the worn seals and stuff. i learned the hardway. so u guys wit older engines, jus change the oils, and dont flush it
Old 01-16-2003, 02:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stripes777
you guys got newer cars so its cool, but for u guys out there with older cars, dont flush the engine. you'll clean out all the grit and grime, some of which is sealing the worn seals and stuff. i learned the hardway. so u guys wit older engines, jus change the oils, and dont flush it
Good point!!!

12 Infiniti G37

2000 EBP Si
STOLEN 11-21-04
Team OG AKA v00tecsi
Old 01-16-2003, 11:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
SH Silver

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_SI_777
Synthetic oil is designed to work longer without breaking down but it also so much more expensive you are not gaining anything. Dont run a quart of regular motor oil through your engine to clean it out before filling up with synthetic. You are not supposed to mix the different types of motor oils. Once you have decided to either go with synthetic or non-synthetic you should stay with that type. You also dont need to change your oil at 1500 miles. Its pointless. Just make sure you have completely drained the old oil out. The best thing to do is not drive your car for at least 3 hours or so as all the old motor oil will have drained to the pan. Drain it fully. Change your oil filter every other oil change. Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you stuff you dont need. Fram filters are fine. A lot of the products out there are made by the same companies. Discount auto parts oil is made by valvoline or quaker state.
OMG, change the filter every other oil change? I don't think so. I also stand by my word on Fram filters. I've ripped apart a lot of aftermarket filters and most of them are not worth the space they take up on the store shelf. They use sub-standard bypassing methods in addition to not having as good of filtering components as OEM products. I will agree that a lot of after market products are made by the same companies and that is reason enough to avoid them all. Buy only OEM!

I've worked in the industry and I have seen the differences so don't try to tell me there are none. Also, changing the filter every other time is also wrong. As a filter starts to hold more and more debris the restriction thru it increases and forces it to by-pass which leads to unfiltered oil being distributed thru your engine. Maybe you view that as a good thing, I personally don't.

If you want to get into a debate about the things we "DON'T" need to do we will be here all day. Changing the filter and oil at every change is simply the RIGHT thing to do. If this is the way you treat your vehicle that's up to you, just remind me to never buy anything from you.

Further to that, increasing your service interval to 1500 miles for a few oil changes is the safe way to flush out your engine to avoid the exact reason that Stripes777 mentioned. I've seen older engines start to burn oil because the owner decided to use a different brand of oil that had more detergents in it. Within a week it was burning oil like crazy.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
SH Silver

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by v00tecsi
I understand that, but there is nothing wrong with pouring some oil in the car while its draining to get the extra nasty shit out. It may not be a whole quart, but I usually pour it in, and let it drain until the oil coming back out looks bran new. Then I let it sit there and drain for a while to ensure every last drip is out.

There is nothng wrong with doing that (besides wasting oil, but I get it for free) Its not like I'm mixing the oil while the car is running, its just simply going in, then right back out, just to clean things out...

I have to agree with Civic_Si on this one. I made the change Synthetic awhile ago so there is no way I would pour any more conventional oil thru my engine, even as a flush. You have to realize, that not all of it is going to come out so the left over oil is going to mix with your Synthetic. You are better to just let it sit longer and drain until it stops coming out. It's also a waste as you mentioned, even if you get it for free.

Honestly, the safest way to flush your engine is to change the oil at more often intervals. But you would only need to do this a few times and I would only do this if the state the engine was questionable to me. Like if I bought a used car from someone like Civic_Si_77 then I would definately do a couple of quick back to back changes.

Older engines produce more junk just because more oil gets burned off than in a new engine. So it's only natural that an older engine would get the oil dirtier quicker. It's normal operation. It's not something to get overly concerned about. It's when you are blowing blue out the tail pipe that you need to start worrying.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 Civic Si
Mods: intake, dual tip muffler, full body kit, carbon fiber top wing, wings west mid wing,Skunk 2 rear lower tie bar, Tokico illumina's & 1.5inch drop springs, Skunk @ short throw shifter, Jackson Racing front upper tie bar, Rota Circut 8's with Kuhmo
smithby is an unknown quantity at this point
Maniac, I have been using Fram filters for over 30 years. I have never had any oil related failures. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, still driving my 92 SI. Before I bought that my 82 Civic had 147,000 miles on it. Before that my 1970 340 Duster 4 speed car that I would beat the crap out off was also fine with Fram filters. So may be it is not important what you use, what is important is to change the oil and filter an a regular basis.
I've begun to use motor flush since the mid 80's, I use it maybe every other time. Depends on how cold it is outside, I do not have a garage.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
dialzero is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stripes777
you guys got newer cars so its cool, but for u guys out there with older cars, dont flush the engine. you'll clean out all the grit and grime, some of which is sealing the worn seals and stuff. i learned the hardway. so u guys wit older engines, jus change the oils, and dont flush it [/QUOTE

I understand this concept ....so should i go ahead with the fluch on a 95 JDM B16a SIR2.... just got the swap....is flushing a good idea???
ITR Manifold
6 Puck Clutch
GSR cams
AEM Intake
B&M FPR
2.25" Custom Exhaust
Old 01-16-2003, 02:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
I have to agree with Civic_Si on this one. I made the change Synthetic awhile ago so there is no way I would pour any more conventional oil thru my engine, even as a flush. You have to realize, that not all of it is going to come out so the left over oil is going to mix with your Synthetic. You are better to just let it sit longer and drain until it stops coming out. It's also a waste as you mentioned, even if you get it for free.

Honestly, the safest way to flush your engine is to change the oil at more often intervals. But you would only need to do this a few times and I would only do this if the state the engine was questionable to me. Like if I bought a used car from someone like Civic_Si_77 then I would definately do a couple of quick back to back changes.

Older engines produce more junk just because more oil gets burned off than in a new engine. So it's only natural that an older engine would get the oil dirtier quicker. It's normal operation. It's not something to get overly concerned about. It's when you are blowing blue out the tail pipe that you need to start worrying.

I hear you both on this...I know its not good to mix regular oil, and synthetic, but its not like the car is running...This is not something I do every single time, I just do it sometimes usually when i go over on the miles. I also sometimes use the oil system cleaner sometimes.

I don't know, it seems that everyone has different opinions on the matter. You read some things that say oil can go a lot longer then 3000 miles, but yet i still change even the mobil 1 at 3000 on the nose with ONLY HONDA FILTERS!!

12 Infiniti G37

2000 EBP Si
STOLEN 11-21-04
Team OG AKA v00tecsi
Old 01-16-2003, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by smithby
Maniac, I have been using Fram filters for over 30 years. I have never had any oil related failures. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time, still driving my 92 SI. Before I bought that my 82 Civic had 147,000 miles on it. Before that my 1970 340 Duster 4 speed car that I would beat the crap out off was also fine with Fram filters. So may be it is not important what you use, what is important is to change the oil and filter an a regular basis.
I've begun to use motor flush since the mid 80's, I use it maybe every other time. Depends on how cold it is outside, I do not have a garage.
The way I see it is this...

The OEM filters aren't that expensive, and if they fail your warrenty is still ok, however, if you have a fram on, and the thing blows out, they will not cover the damage...

IMO OEM is always the best!!! They fit the best, and are specifiacally designed for that car. Unlike frams that one filter fits many different cars...

12 Infiniti G37

2000 EBP Si
STOLEN 11-21-04
Team OG AKA v00tecsi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement