First timer amp install, got a quick easy quesion.. - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Appearance & Sound > Car Audio & Electronics

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 98 Accord Ex coupe 4cyl f23a4
Mods:
dunluvmeeh is an unknown quantity at this point
First timer amp install, got a quick easy quesion..

I'm about to install some new front and rear speakers, a sub and an amp to my 98 Accord in couple days. My first time doing this.
I've been watching a lot of videos on YouTube about these installations.
For installing an amp, the amp kit comes with all these cables.
Where do I connect the speakers cable to? Is it not needed??
All the videos I have watched, no one ever mentions about where to connect the speakers cable to.....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Car: 81 Rabbit 81 Rabbit Pickup 84 Vr6 Rabbit Convertible 97 Accord 00 Jetta VR6 97 Audi A4 1.8t
Mods:
RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!
amp to speakers or h/u to amp?

it's better to lease in this situation than it is to own

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 2004 Pontiac Vibe
Mods:
Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
No offense Don't love me, but if you have to ask where the speaker wire goes in any situation in audio installation, perhaps it is best left to a $150 install at best Buy.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
HU to amp.

@Serj22 thanks for the advise. but I prefer doing this myself, not $ wise, just wanted to learn.
It was a simple question. probably faster for you to answer it than write me that sentence.
On all the tutorial videos, no one ever mention about the speakers wire so I was just making sure.
obviously speaker wires go to speakers, but in this case if you run HU to amp, then you dont need to run the speaker wires to speakers right? thats where I got a lilttle confuse.

Last edited by dunluvmeeh; 07-31-2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: adding more info.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Car: 81 Rabbit 81 Rabbit Pickup 84 Vr6 Rabbit Convertible 97 Accord 00 Jetta VR6 97 Audi A4 1.8t
Mods:
RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!
well depending on you h/u you will either use rca cables or an adapter from speaker wires to rca cables. but also depends on the amp though. whats your setup?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods:
Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?Serj22 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
If you run the speaker wire to the amp (using the Hi-input) rather than RCA's, then you would need the output on the amp to go to the speakers somehow. What I do if I'm pressed for time is run it to the amp, then back to behind the headunit to the normal wires. So you'd basically run two leads at a time, one goes from the back of the headunit, down to the amp, and the second lead comes back from the output of the amp, to the wires behind the HU in the dash.
Does that make sense?

If not, you'd need to run new wires to the speakers individually, or at the junctions in the C and D pillars (usually they are there)

If you run RCa's to the amp (a lot of newer decks utilize this) then you must also either run wires back to the dash, or to each speaker individually.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
Thanks for the replies guys.
I ran all the cables today(I think that will be the hardest part) from H/U and battery to the trunk. I used RCA cables.
But I havent connect them yet though because I'm still waiting on the speakers.
I ordered them on Amazon. It will arrived on Monday so im planning on changing the speakers and connect everything then.

I wasn't sure where to plug in the RCA cables into my H/U.
It's a Sony MEX-BT2600 (got this a while back)
there are like 3 pairs of RCA plug-in in the back.
I can't remember what it said exactly but something like this:
1: bus out
2: sub/trunk audio
3: front speaker out

Where do I plug my RCA cables in?

Here's my set up:
Sony MEX-BT2600
Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way… Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1653 6.5-Inch Full Range 3 Way…
Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 6x9-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 6x9-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers: Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R1693 6x9-Inch Full Range 3 Way Speakers: Electronics
Rockford Fosgate Prime R150-2 150 Watt Stereo Amplifier
Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R150-2 150 Watt Stereo Amplifier: Electronics Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate Prime R150-2 150 Watt Stereo Amplifier: Electronics
Kenwood KFC-W3011 1200-Watt 12-Inch Subwoofer
Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-W3011 1200-Watt 12-Inch Subwoofer:… Amazon.com: Kenwood KFC-W3011 1200-Watt 12-Inch Subwoofer:…

I'm running these with a 4 Gauge Pyle Link amp kit.

Edit: This is what I'm gonna do...
power cable with fuse from battery to amp
ground cable from chassis to amp
RCA cable from back of H/U to amp
Turn on cable from back of H/U to amp
Speaker cable from amp to sub

Am I doing something wrong? or missing something here?

Last edited by dunluvmeeh; 07-31-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Addint info.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods:
That last part is all correct, just make sure everything is hooked up to the proper terminals. The RCA's for the subwoofer amp should be hooked to the "trunk.sub" output, the 6x9's amp should go to the "front" slot if nothing else. It's tough to say, not sure what it means by "bus".

If the deck is a good one, it should allow you to make adjustments on it for wherever you plug it in. On my new Kenwood deck, I have it set for speaker position, height from floor, direction, size, wether it's a 2, 3 way, etc, how long the distance is to each, and what ouputs I want assigned as what. I have output RCA 1 set to Subwoofer, Output 2 set to Rears, and output 3 set to front, and they are all named as such and can be adjusted in my equalizer.

Also, where is your amp to drive the subwoofer?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serj22 View Post
Also, where is your amp to drive the subwoofer?
?? Sorry I don't understanding what your asking?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods:
You have a single 150 watt amp listed, which is great for the 6x9's, but what amplifier are you using to drive that 1200 watt Kenwood sub?
Old 08-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
I only have one amp. Are you saying that I will need another amp?
I was gonna use that amp to drive the sub not those 6x9's. Is that ok?
Or is it better to drive those 6x9's? I'm planning on using just one amp.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
I guess this amp is under power compare to the sub?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods:
That amps RMS rating is nowhere near enough to work.

You need something like this to drive that sub:

Amazon.com: Hifonics Zeus ZXI1010 1000 Watt Two-Channel Amplifier:… Amazon.com: Hifonics Zeus ZXI1010 1000 Watt Two-Channel Amplifier:…

Hifonics/ Crunch make awesome Cheap amps. They are cheap though, so don't get excited about it unless you do some coil rearranging or something else to reduce the signal/noise ratio.

It's generally best to run similar RMS equipment, so if the sub calls for 500 (probably does) then a 1,000 watt (max) amp will probably have enough to run it.

If you want a GOOD 1,000 watt amp, expect to spend at least $500 or more.

That 150 is good for maybe one of those 6x9's.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Mods:
I hope you didn't buy all that already. cause I really don't think you did enough research into what you need. that amp is maybe 150W RMS that sub is 400W RMS did you match the ohms from sub to amp? that amp is big for what little power it puts out. I had a 500W MMATS amp smaller than that, it also puts out 750W MMATS always underrated their amps. you could find a used one for 150 bucks. you could also find a better sub for 100 bucks. I bought a pioneer h/u from best buy for 150 bucks and it does 10x what that sony does. and is hands down better than it. man I really wish you would have done some research and asked some questions on what you were to buy before you did. I don't think you will be very happy with what you have.

what kind of box did you put the sub in?

Last edited by RedWabbit; 08-02-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
F me.. Yeah I bought everything already =[
I guess my best choice now is to use that amp to drive those 6x9's and leave the sub out. It's in a 12" Sealed MDF Car Sub Woofer Box Enclosure.
Oh well, I'll do something to get some $ back. I got my HU couple years back so yeah. Maybe it's time to upgrade it. I like the bluetooth feature on it though.
Thanks for the replies guys. They helped a lot!
If not I would already use that amp to drive the sub =[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement