Whats the best car wax to put to repel snow and salt? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Appearance & Sound > Auto Detailing

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2003, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: Acura TSX
Mods:
6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts6thgenaccord is infamous around these parts
Whats the best car wax to put to repel snow and salt?

I've encountered winter driving and I just wanted to know what kind of wax or polish would work to repel salt and snow because salt really ruins a car's finish and makes it really look ugly and dirty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2003, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
IcEcOlD is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno but i would try some black mequires wax o and dont forget the cleaner wax
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2003, 02:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd; 95 240sx
Mods: Everything Suspension & Brakes
rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!
i dont think that there really is a wax that would repel snow and salt-wax just wears of the finish of your car over time-the best thing to do is to wash your car frequently (when its warm enough to do outside) and to keep it waxed, so that when you do wash it, the salt and road grime come off more easily-

i use the meguiars gold class-does the trick for me-

Evolution Performance Driving School

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd : Tein Flex Coilovers : Progress Front & Rear Swaybars : GTSpec Front & Rear Strut Tower bars : 2007 STi Brembo Brake Conversion : Hawk HPS Pads : Stop Tech Lines : DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors : Nismo Extended Wheel Studs : ACT HD clutch : 06 wrx flywheel : 18 x 8.5 Volk ce28n : 245/35/18 Kumho Ecsta XS : AVO LCA Bushings : Corner Balanced : Hella Supertones

1995 Nissan 240sx : In pieces : LS1 : T56 Transmission
Old 12-28-2003, 08:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods: fram air filter!!! haha
AccOrDZteCh is on a distinguished road
i think something better than mequiars should be used. now mequiars is good but shines like hell but doesnt last super long becuase it shines alot...kinda a pro vs con.

probably the best u can do is protect your car from snow and salt, but u can never repel it unless u get those plastics from 3m that go onto the body of your car.

--bashing??---
haha im not bashing mequiars..i use it, but i noticed that it shines much deeper...but lasts less than conventional mothers....i talked to mequiars associates and they claimed that the wax last long, but in some products the more shine, the less time...they said "some" haha of course they didnt want to say theirs

--polymer sealant--

though there are new products around now that are polymer sealents. as you know that most waxes now contain carnuba wax....polymer sealants are actually better at protecting the paint...mequiars is comming out wiht one in about 2 months, but also they have their polymer line like medallian paint, polymer sealant professional #20.....and i think zymoil is a polymer too...

--bottom line--
polymer-longer lasting, and a nice shine --> perfect.
carnuba-huge deep shine-less lasting

stock 91 honda accord ex 142k

all sho..

my car pics

aww, she is smiling at you.

mods:
f22a6 intake manifold swap
DRL custom..
catch can-comming
CAI-custom and done.
strut bar front upper rear lower tie
Old 12-28-2003, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd; 95 240sx
Mods: Everything Suspension & Brakes
rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!rnstein69 Bow down before me!
ive heard that waxes that seal your paint are really not good for it in the long run. they dont allow your paint to "breathe", therefore it may form cracks, crows feet, or webs. the longevity of a wax on a car also depends upon how often it rains/snow, how often you wash the car, etc. i wax my car about every 3-4 weeks, and use a spray wax about 2 times a week-i find this method to work for me, but try different products and see what works best for you.

Evolution Performance Driving School

2005 Subaru Legacy GT Ltd : Tein Flex Coilovers : Progress Front & Rear Swaybars : GTSpec Front & Rear Strut Tower bars : 2007 STi Brembo Brake Conversion : Hawk HPS Pads : Stop Tech Lines : DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors : Nismo Extended Wheel Studs : ACT HD clutch : 06 wrx flywheel : 18 x 8.5 Volk ce28n : 245/35/18 Kumho Ecsta XS : AVO LCA Bushings : Corner Balanced : Hella Supertones

1995 Nissan 240sx : In pieces : LS1 : T56 Transmission
Old 01-08-2004, 10:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 2000 Civic
Mods:
ahunt01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually there is no proof that sealants are bad for paint.
Money Money Money...that's what the claims are all about. Think about it, as a professional, do you use a polymer sealant and not see the customer for months or go with the wax and tell the customer to come back in 6 weeks time for a top up? Cmon ..... whats better business? Zymol also once said that their waxes and polishes replace lost "oils" and "feed the paint with oils".......Not

BTW, I would stay away from spray waxes, I think about any entheusiast detailer will tell you that that offers little to no protection, and is at best just cosmetic. You want protection, you go with a polymer sealant...period. People can argue about which looks better on what color, carnuba wax or sealants and they have a valid argument, but no one can argue that a carnuba wax will protect paint from the elements better than a sealant.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 5th gen SH
Mods: Type-S Swap. Neuspeed/AGX suspension, DC Sports front strut/rear sway, AEM CAI, APEX'i dunk catback, APEX'i V-AFC. Alpine head, 2 polk 10" DVC's, 2 Hifonics amps, Infinty kappa's all around.
what the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problemwhat the... has a Rep problem
The first two years I had my car I lived in the mountains. Road salt, traction dirt, all kinds of shit got on my car. All I ever did was wash it one last time really good in the fall. After washing really good, I put crazy wax on it cuz I knew it was prolly gonna be too cold for a few months to wash it. It took a while, but there's no rust spots or anything on my car. The only part of my accord that ever suffered for the cold was exhaust. The salt will eat the hell out of your pipes/resonator.

Type-S Swap
Old 01-09-2004, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired *********

Car: 1999 Crown Vic
Mods:
05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?
I used to us Mequiars, but switched to Klasse All-In-One http://www.properautocare.com/kla-16.html and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze http://www.properautocare.com/kla-gla.html. I did my car 4 months ago and it still has that 'just waxed' look after washing. They say the glaze will last 180-270+ days. The glaze isn't really hard to buff off, it's just that it is clear and very hard to tell if you have gotten it all off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement