Light Rims = Better Gas Mileage? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > The Discount Tire Direct Tire, Wheel, Brake & Suspension

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2004, 02:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
SimpleGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Light Rims = Better Gas Mileage?

What's up everyone...it's been a while -

Just like the title says, will putting on some lightweight rims result in better gas mileage over stock? I know for a fact that rolling on heavy rims sucks up mileage. (That's why I'm getting rid of my 21 lb. Monsoons for a set of 13.5 lb. Slipstreams ) PLEASE no smart-a** responses; common sense isn't always correct.

If anyone has personal experience with this, let me know how it's worked out for you. Thanks!

See it here if you want! Pics with 16" GM Slips coming soon!

N/A bolt-ons, cool stereo, exterior stuff...
(damn I want my old sig and posts back!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2004, 03:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: E92 M3
Mods:
IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!
personally i saw no difference in mileage on my teg when i opted for my 17" rims..

then again they are 15 lbs each hehe.

air pressure is a better determinate than rim size/weight for mileage imo
Old 03-28-2004, 06:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 93 Honda Prelude VTEC
Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Yeah its kinda funny. Rims can store energy just like the flywheel , so it all really depends. Im guessing the weight savings alone will equal better mpg and speed.

But im not sure if the actual rim being lighter would always cause for better mpg , because at speed the heavier rim wont slow down as much..im not an expert at physics. But im pretty good at working out weird crap like this.

Im thinking if you stop and go a lot , the lighter rim will get better mpg , but if you cruise on the highway the heavier rim just might get better mpg. Im just kinda hypothesising here because with lightweight flywheel and stock flywheel on the same car , if it were to go up a hill , the one with the heavy flywheel , will go up faster , while downhill the lighter one will catch back up and once level they will be at the exact same spot. Im pretty sure thats a good explanation of how flywheels and weight savings on the drivetrain work.

A heavier flywheel can make for a easier launch as it has more engery to push with. While a lightweight flywheel has to be revved up in order to get the same movement going. They basically change how the car works.....as does getting lighter rims.

But another good thing for lightweight rims is they put less weight on the suspension , so there is less weight acting upon them so they can do their job more efficiently. Always a plus....

If there were any I would buy some carbon suspension arms. Them shizzles would own...suspension weight reduction feels like no other.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 2002 RSXtypeS
Mods: YES
YourUserName is on a distinguished road
If the mileage increases from using lighter rims the amount is going to be measured in 100ths of a mile per gallon. You won't see a significant increase. The best way to optimize mileage would be to make sure your tires are properly inflated.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ............."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Saved me! New Liver 30APR04
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Car: 01 MR-St & 08 M3
Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sho
Yeah its kinda funny. Rims can store energy just like the flywheel , so it all really depends. Im guessing the weight savings alone will equal better mpg and speed.

But im not sure if the actual rim being lighter would always cause for better mpg , because at speed the heavier rim wont slow down as much..im not an expert at physics. But im pretty good at working out weird crap like this.

Im thinking if you stop and go a lot , the lighter rim will get better mpg , but if you cruise on the highway the heavier rim just might get better mpg. Im just kinda hypothesising here because with lightweight flywheel and stock flywheel on the same car , if it were to go up a hill , the one with the heavy flywheel , will go up faster , while downhill the lighter one will catch back up and once level they will be at the exact same spot. Im pretty sure thats a good explanation of how flywheels and weight savings on the drivetrain work.

A heavier flywheel can make for a easier launch as it has more engery to push with. While a lightweight flywheel has to be revved up in order to get the same movement going. They basically change how the car works.....as does getting lighter rims.

But another good thing for lightweight rims is they put less weight on the suspension , so there is less weight acting upon them so they can do their job more efficiently. Always a plus....

If there were any I would buy some carbon suspension arms. Them shizzles would own...suspension weight reduction feels like no other.
heh that flywheel lesson looks oddly familiar

if the difference is like 3 lbs/rim, mileage won't be very noticable

however, weight will play a factor in overall performance of the car....size is another factor....larger diameter rims will have a higher gyroscoping effect which will increase straight line stability, but sacrifices better cornering.....so why do you see race cars w/ big rims? to accomodate the HUGE brakes that stop their 400+hp engines.....tire sidewall is important in handling also blah blah....i guess it just depends on what you plan on doing w/ the car...

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
For the tenacious, no road is impassable.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 99 lude
Mods: too much to list
lOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problemlOOkatme has a Rep problem
Lighter rims will have better gas milage around town, and bigger heavier rims should have better milage on the highway.

lighter rims accelerate faster meaning your putting more power down to the wheels....you just made your drivetrain more efficient.

Car for Sale. PM me.
Aftermarket Parts for sale. PM me.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?UltraMagneticAL you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lOOkatme
Lighter rims will have better gas milage around town, and bigger heavier rims should have better milage on the highway.

lighter rims accelerate faster meaning your putting more power down to the wheels....you just made your drivetrain more efficient.
Ahhh yes....that's another affect of the heavier rims...they have a higher inertia blah

Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Mods: AEM Intake & Cam Sprockets , RC Throttle Body, Greddy SS Header , RSR Exhaust , Carsound Cat , ACT Clutch & Fly, NGK 8mm Blue Wires, JDM Type-S Valve Cover , Koni Yellow Shocks , RSR Down Springs, Nuespeed Short Shift Adapter, CF Dashkit, CF
mike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problemmike_sho has a Rep problem
Quote:
I just said that exact same thing in my post
Old 03-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL
heh that flywheel lesson looks oddly familiar

if the difference is like 3 lbs/rim, mileage won't be very noticable

however, weight will play a factor in overall performance of the car....size is another factor....larger diameter rims will have a higher gyroscoping effect which will increase straight line stability, but sacrifices better cornering.....so why do you see race cars w/ big rims? to accomodate the HUGE brakes that stop their 400+hp engines.....tire sidewall is important in handling also blah blah....i guess it just depends on what you plan on doing w/ the car...
Why does the flywheel lesson look familiar? It came from the top of my head as does most my information. Ive said something similiar to this before in the forums?
Old 03-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: Prelude Type SH 2000
Mods: Momo Shifter
Turbomice2 is a name known to allTurbomice2 is a name known to allTurbomice2 is a name known to allTurbomice2 is a name known to allTurbomice2 is a name known to allTurbomice2 is a name known to all
Quote:
Why does the flywheel lesson look familiar? It came from the top of my head as does most my information. Ive said something similiar to this before in the forums?

Without saying the exact words, you just explained angular momentum. A heavier rim or one with a larger diameter has a greater moment of inertia. So if a car has a rim with a greater moment of inertia, it takes a greater force to accelerate at the same rate as a car with rims with lower moment of inertia.
On the other hand, while doing highway driving, the rim with the higher moment of inertia carries greater angular momentum, so forces from the road or wind resistance affect it less than a rim with a lower moment of inertia.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 95 civic garaged while i live downtown
Mods:
Hooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourUserName
The best way to optimize mileage would be to make sure your tires are properly inflated.
What is the best Tire pressure to run, to increase gas milage? im around psi on my 205-40-16's

What if all the worlds inside of your head, just creations of your own. Your devils and your gods, all the living and the dead, and you really are alone.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Car: E92 M3
Mods:
IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!IntegraXTR Um, 1 million? Damn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_on4
What is the best Tire pressure to run, to increase gas milage? im around psi on my 205-40-16's

you're around what psi on your tires?

Old 03-29-2004, 01:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Ban-Finger Mod

Mods:
Quote:
pp10
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146500

Old 03-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 2002 RSXtypeS
Mods: YES
YourUserName is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked_on4

Whatever the manufacturer specs are for your car, which is on a sticker in the doorjamb. Your tire pressure should remain the same whether you have 195/65/14 or 205/40/16 tires. If you overinflate your tires to make them roll easier you will wear down the center of the tire, if you underinflate you wear down the edges. If you are tracking your car you may want to change pressures to suit your needs at the track.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ............."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

Saved me! New Liver 30APR04
Old 03-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 95 civic garaged while i live downtown
Mods:
Hooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problemHooked_on4 has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR
you're around what psi on your tires?

whoops, I ment 30 psi

And YourUserName its the same as OEM Spec???

What if all the worlds inside of your head, just creations of your own. Your devils and your gods, all the living and the dead, and you really are alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement