1999 Civic EX First Engine mods - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2002, 09:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Mods: AEM cold air intake....more to come
remborsky is an unknown quantity at this point
1999 Civic EX First Engine mods

Ok I know this question has been posted many a time before but I havent found anything to base my decision on. I have a 1999 Civic Ex and am planning on getting the JRSC in the spring. Im trying to figure out what internals I should do before the supercharger. I know I dont have to but I'm looking to build the best outta my D16. I know the I/H/E which I already have the AEM CAI and the greddy evo is on the way. Which cam would be the best for this app and what other internals would be to my best benefit. Any responses and opinions would be helpful. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 94 Civic EX
Mods:
probinu is an unknown quantity at this point
get some forged rods and pistons and lower your compression a little with a thicker head gasket or lower compression pistons. I think that ZEX makes a cam for FI applications but I'm not entirely sure
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2002, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
Girl is on a distinguished road
I don't know if the ZEX Cam for the D16Y8 has come out yet or not though...
Old 11-06-2002, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
Crower claims that their stage 1 cam for the d-series is a good choice for FI/nitrous apps.

Rods and pistons would be a good choice, but I don't think that they are required.

Also, he shouldn't really need to lower this compression with the d16y8 and a super. I believe that the stock pulley is only 6lbs. He might want to consider lowering it with the 8lb pulley, but the stock compression is only 9.6:1. I haven't done a great deal of reading on supercharging, but this CR would be just fine with a Turbo running 6-8psi.

I would look into way to keep things cool. Like upgrading the radiator (fluidyne or dual-core del sol vtec) and a fal fan, etc.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by kommon_sense
Crower claims that their stage 1 cam for the d-series is a good choice for FI/nitrous apps.

Rods and pistons would be a good choice, but I don't think that they are required.

Also, he shouldn't really need to lower this compression with the d16y8 and a super. I believe that the stock pulley is only 6lbs. He might want to consider lowering it with the 8lb pulley, but the stock compression is only 9.6:1. I haven't done a great deal of reading on supercharging, but this CR would be just fine with a Turbo running 6-8psi.

I would look into way to keep things cool. Like upgrading the radiator (fluidyne or dual-core del sol vtec) and a fal fan, etc.
first things first. He said he wanted to build some internals so I gave him the answer on what to get. It would be best to lower his compression a bit because it puts less strain on the engine no matter how low the compression is. The D-Series motors aren't THAT strong. Also he didn't say anything about a turbo...he wants a SC. Another is that to me when he says that he wants to build internals, that means he is planning on running higher boost than what the stock pulley is putting out. With stock internals I wouldn't push more than 6 psi.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Mods: AEM cold air intake....more to come
remborsky is an unknown quantity at this point
I do plan on running more boost than stock which is why i wanna go from the inside out. I thank all that have replied and am open to any other suggestions!!!!
Old 11-06-2002, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 2000 Honda Civic
Mods: All Show and No Go
Quad-Damage is an unknown quantity at this point
Kamikaze 4-1 Ceramic Header, And A JRSC, Thats the Dream Team Right there. Kamikaze 4-1 Ceramic Header works very well, with this system, they dyno like 4 to 3hp more then DC Sport. I have them, I love them, but they eat down pipes gaskets make sure you got, your blots on real tight, I had to replace my down pipe gasket on my Civic DX (106Hp) becuase it kept eatem. They also have No Cat, So Have fun trying to Smog, They Will make your check engine light come on. But they are the one of the best for a supercharged car. I would Look into geting them.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car: civic
Mods:
Dirty2Door is an unknown quantity at this point
You absolutely do NOT need to build an engine for a jrsc, or any moderate level of FI for that matter. I don't know why you guys are say that. 8-10 psi in a stock D series will be fine.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 1997 Civic DX coupe
Mods: NOTHING!!! And it sucks, have no money!!!
96 Civic Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
There was another guy on here who had the greddy turbo kit on the D16Y8, set at 14 psi, and it was a daily driver. Just had it tuned very well, thicker headgasket, but no internal work. I'm doing head work for my D16 turbo setup, contemplating on the block not sure yet...but the head, here you go...

Crower Stage 2 camshaft- 63441T (slightly better than stage 1, not quite the stage 3 with lope at idle) provides power throughout entire powerband.

Crower Springs & Retainer Kit- 84166 (I don't think it's necessary for the stage 2 camshaft, but wouldn't hurt)

Ferrea Valves and valve guides- not sure they make them for D-Series yet, haven't checked.

Then you get someone to do a Port & Polish job on the intake and exhaust sides of your head, intake manifold, and throttle body, and your set. I know a guy who does P&P jobs if anybody's interested. He's real cheap, just started his business but has been doing this for years. I have contact information if anyone's interested, this is who's going to be doing my headwork when I get the money lined up.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: DC2 GSR
Mods: junk parts!!
Veryevil is an unknown quantity at this point
first mod new motor!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
tony2kex is an unknown quantity at this point

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 98ex
Mods: motor/tranny out
Toddnos is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out the jg websight on the dyno section. There is a sohc vtec with a JRSC and the jg 85vt85 cam. I forget the numbers, but they are very impressive for a daily driven sohc vtec. alot of peeps talk ish about jg on here, but my cam works great with nos.

TPP
Old 11-08-2002, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by tony2kex

Ignorance is bliss.
what's that supposed to mean? Who is ignorant? :
Old 11-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: DC2 GSR
Mods: junk parts!!
Veryevil is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by probinu
what's that supposed to mean? Who is ignorant? :
he's probably talking to me cause i have seen the light to the dohc side!!!! yeah i was all about into making sohc goes fast till i got a dohc!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car: 1999 Milano Red Civic SI
Mods:
saint is on a distinguished road
I like my little 1999 EX. "It's cute"
But I would save my big money.
If I am going to turbo something It will be a RSX.
2k on a mod. that's a down payment man.
How many of you EX drivers have tested a new RSX-S?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement