2003 civic headlight dead - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
SuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problem
2003 civic headlight dead

a friend of mine blew the headlights on her 03 civic coupe. She said her bf replaced both headlights with brand new one. Everything else works except the low beam. Its wierd because the HIGH beam works. I dont really remember how the setup is for the newier civic but on my older 98 civic the h4 bulb, the high beam and low beam use the same bulb. On her car I see that there is another set of bulb a smaller one, what is that for?

I took a quick look at it, checked the fuse but wasnt able to pull out the bulb because we where at work and I didnt have any tools. Tomorrow she is going to drop by and Ill take a closer look at it if her bf cant fix it.

What else could be the problem? The fused that I looked at are the fuse under the hood. Is there any other fuse that I need to look at?

I know I can search for how to take out the bulbs but whats the easiest and quickest way to change the bulb on a 03 civic coupe? Do I really need to take off the bumper of can I work on it from under the fender?

"Don't have sex man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1995 civic dx sedan
Mods: kinda sleepy looking...
that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!
well you "should" be able to just remove the bulbs by sticking your hand in behind the lamps and searching around a bit, but i'm not sure. i think the '03 civics still used H4 bulbs, i don't think it was until '04 that they switched to the 9006/9005 set-up.

if you're looking for more fuses, also check underneath the dash. usually honda hides fuses like that underneath the driver's-side dash. just look for a little swinging panel, and that should be it. that panel should also have a fuse map which will show where everything is.

when you do pull the bulb out, look closely at both filaments. H4 bulbs do have two different filaments in them, and if one blows, the other will still work just fine (usually the low beam blows first because you use it more).

and that smaller bulb in the headlight, i believe that's just a marker light.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
MosDef is on a distinguished road
i had the same problem with my car, for me it was the fuse under the hood was in the wrong place, on my model 96-98 there is also fuses under the leftside of the steering wheel check those
Old 09-03-2005, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
SuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problemSuperAkuma has a Rep problem
03 civic use blub size hb2 (9003). I checked the manual and the fuse underneith the steering wheels has nothing to do with the headlights.

"Don't have sex man. It leads to kissing and pretty soon you have to start talking to them."
Old 09-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!that one civic Um, 1 million? Damn!
hmm, 9003 is essentially the same thing as a H4, i think one is European designations (H4), and one is American (9003). i do believe that the 9003 is slightly different in the physical shape of the mounting surface, but other than that they're the same.

well if the fuses are fine, then it must be the bulb. either that, or the wiring is bad. hopefully it's not that, because changing out the wiring is a pain.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by that one civic
hmm, 9003 is essentially the same thing as a H4, i think one is European designations (H4), and one is American (9003). i do believe that the 9003 is slightly different in the physical shape of the mounting surface, but other than that they're the same.

well if the fuses are fine, then it must be the bulb. either that, or the wiring is bad. hopefully it's not that, because changing out the wiring is a pain.

yea I just realized that 9003 is also known as H4 or hb2. Its funny because a lot of place that I've looked online it says that go for h4 bulb, but the manual says it takes 9003. I made a mistake the car is an 01 not an 03.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

well that's cool, '01 is essentially the same as '03 as far as i know. did you get the headlight fixed yet?
Old 09-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
Naw. Heres the story.

Before she came to my house after work she went to autozone to pick up some new lights so we can test it out. When she was there the guy there opened up a pack of lights and tested it there. It didnt work either. She came to my house and explained me what happened and I took a look again. It was getting kinda dark so I didnt really wanted to take apart the car to really get a close up look at the wires or what is going one. I think it might have to do something with the light switch itself, the part where you turn on an off the light on the steering wheel.

Is there any fuse or any wires there that CAN be broken or so on the switcher itself?

Also I cant remember how the 01+ civic headlights turns on and I dont know anybody that has that kind of civic. On the headlight there are 3 parts, the MAIN part, the bigger white light. Then there is the other white light kinda roundish and the orange part. On her car the smaller while lights does NOT turn on at all. When the high beam is on its from the big main light. I thought that the smaller white light was to help the MAIN light when you turn on the high beam. Am I wrong here?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

well yeah, you should have the H4 bulb, which is both high and low beams, an 1157 bulb in the corner for marker and signal, and then possibly a 194 bulb in that circle part for marker as well.

it is possible for the light switch itself to fail, it's a fairly common problem, but mostly on the older civics from use. if her car is still under warranty, maybe have her get it checked by a dealer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement