AIRBAG REMOVAL - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
2070alex is an unknown quantity at this point
AIRBAG REMOVAL

ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW HOW EXACTLY TO REMOVE THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIRBAG FROM A 96 CIVIC DX? WHAT ARE THE EXACT STEPS AND PROPER PRE-CAUTIONS THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN? I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME OUT! THANKS IN ADVANCE...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
Welcome to SHO, please do not use All-caps when posting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
liljoker will become famous soon enough
if you are willing to wait i can get it for you. i am work right now and i got the all-data thingy here.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
i'll wait

no problem i'll wait, i need help with this, so i'll wait! thanks
Old 10-26-2005, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car:
Mods:
liljoker will become famous soon enough
driver side:
-remove negative battery cable
-remove panel from the air bag
-disconnect the connections for the air bag
from there on it should be straight forward

the damn computer was being gay so i will post up more for the passenger side
Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
TaQ
GunMetal Member

Car: 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe
Mods: GC coils
TaQ is a splendid one to beholdTaQ is a splendid one to beholdTaQ is a splendid one to beholdTaQ is a splendid one to beholdTaQ is a splendid one to beholdTaQ is a splendid one to behold
why would you wanna remove the airbags from your car?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
i've blown the engine in my car 2 times already and i'm not willing to repair it again, it was a great car but i'm not putting any more money into it. i'm selling it by parts now and i have some people who ar interested in buying the airbags since they are so expensive at the actual dealer. i just don't know how exaclty to do it, that's why i posted this ad. can you help? thanks alex
Old 10-29-2005, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1999 Civic
Mods: lowered, exaust, intake, header, cleanup kit, acura seats, sound system, fiberglass interior(complete), short throw shifter, and many more mods!!!
drummerboy858 is an unknown quantity at this point
when i built my car, just left the battery out, removed the driver side one out of the steering wheel. took the control unit (SRS unit) out from under the center of the dash. i dont think the passenger side one can be removed as it would ruin your dash. i dont think it will come out from the bottom either.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 03 accord 94 Supra
Mods: stock
94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile94CIVICSI Needs to go outside once in awhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy858
when i built my car, just left the battery out, removed the driver side one out of the steering wheel. took the control unit (SRS unit) out from under the center of the dash. i dont think the passenger side one can be removed as it would ruin your dash. i dont think it will come out from the bottom either.

ARE YOU KIDDING?!?!? a honda airbag cant be romoved?!?!?! a honda can be completely taken apart and pieced back together. just slide something under the airbag and pop it out, its on clips.

1994 Toyota Supra TT 6-speed
2006 Toyota Tacoma DC 6-speed
2003 Honda Accord 2.4 5-speed coupe.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1999 Civic
Mods: lowered, exaust, intake, header, cleanup kit, acura seats, sound system, fiberglass interior(complete), short throw shifter, and many more mods!!!
drummerboy858 is an unknown quantity at this point
really? well i tried everything that i could, i just stopped in fear of damaging something! maybe mine is just stuck in there really good!
Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 2007 Civic Si
Mods: AEM CAI, Skunk2 70mm exhaust
dil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problem
my airbags are currently deployed and i have to fiqure out how to remove the passenger and driverside airbags
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 98 civic ex, 05 lexus is300
Mods: b18b1 w/ gsr tranny; lexus-SRT intake & R-ECU
IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?IISaiNtII you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash&Burn

Unplug the battery, push the brakes in a few times to dispel any eletrical buildup, then to take off the driver side you go to the bottom of the steeringwheel area, and there is a plastic pop out peice. Go in there, and remove the yellow wiring harness. Then, on the sides of the steering coluwn are two more smaller plastic peices. Using a TORX 25 head, you remove the screws that are there. I don't remember how many, but it was probably 2-3. Then, you carefully remove the bag.
To remove the passanger one remove the glove box, and then on your left there is a wiring harness. Again, disconnect the yellow peice that will be leading to the left side of the airbag as you are sitting in the car. Then, there are three screws in the front, but I don't remember their size. Remove those, then have someone help you remove it by having them push it in and up from the inside of the car, and you guide it straight up.
search a lil better next time
-Proverbs 16:31

"“The mark of great sportsmen is not how good they are at their best, but how good they are their worst.”
- Martina Navratilova

Old 11-20-2005, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 2007 Civic Si
Mods: AEM CAI, Skunk2 70mm exhaust
dil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problemdil2502 has a Rep problem
actually it is a Torx 30 i just removed my driver's airbag, and the passenger is a bitch to get to because the a/c condenser keeps you from getting to one of the nuts... and i don't have any flex wrenchs so i have to drop the a/c condenser to get to it
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: '99 DX D16Z6
Mods:
Rerock is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm taking out the pass. side bag (to mount MSD) in my '99 DX, and I have all the nuts out so the bag is ready to come out. I'm stuck trying to pop out the cover on the dash. Any ideas? Not much room to see up under there.

Thanks

Edit: Answered my own question. Just pry up on teh bottom of the airbag, and the cover will pop out. I was nervous about cracking the dash or cover plate (I'm gonna re-use the cover; sleeper look), but being careful it came out. Then I just cut off most of the pard plastic fingers. Now it stays in place, but easily pops off for access to the MSD. Now I don't have to sorry about the AB going off when my kid rides shotgun either. Since that's the case, I no longer need the back seat. Now I can gut/ cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement