Broken valve cover bolt - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1992 Honda Civic DX 4 door
Mods:
KBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these parts
Angry Broken valve cover bolt

while changing the valve cover I over torqued one of the bolts and broke it... leaving half of the thread in the nut and the other half still exposed... I was able to rig up a self threading teflon bolt for now, but need to replace the bolt... anyone have experience? or where can I find the HELMS manual online?

1992 Honda Civic DX 4 door
-Intake,headers,exhaust
-lips and side skirts
-halo's and atleeza's
-some other stuff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2002, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: '98 CiViC Coupe (EJ7)
Mods: '99 CiViC Si (B16A2)
BlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peons
Re: Broken valve cover bolt

Quote:
Originally posted by KBoomBoxx
while changing the valve cover I over torqued one of the bolts and broke it... leaving half of the thread in the nut and the other half still exposed... I was able to rig up a self threading teflon bolt for now, but need to replace the bolt... anyone have experience? or where can I find the HELMS manual online?
Which 'bolt' did you break?

down." - Paul Brink, ASU State Press
  • DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of
    the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance
    between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of BDC
    is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence of anyone to hold them
    is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the
    second order coefficient.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2002, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
xshh3x is an unknown quantity at this point
your screwed!!! hahahaha...j/k..I think he means # 15 or #6 bdc
Old 04-12-2002, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
HybridJDMHonda is on a distinguished road
Go to your Honda Dealership and see if they can get you the bolt. They should be able to get it easily.

My friend's shop
Old 04-12-2002, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: Civic Si
Mods: AEM CAI, DC 4-2-1 Headers, Apex-i Catback Exhaust, bored Cat, DVD player, and tv
Romio Si is an unknown quantity at this point
This exact thing happened to me bout 3 months ago, i was painting my valve cover and i over torqed it, i drove with it like that for about a month and then some dick hit me so it was in the shop and when i got it back i went and got it fixed, i took it to any car repaire place, not body work car repaire, the guy was gonna charge like 70, for a gasket and shit, but i just asked him to put it on, and he charged like 40 for labor, and the bolt was like 5 bucks or something, but he had to order it, which sucked !!!
Old 04-12-2002, 10:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

BlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
Originally posted by xshh3x
your screwed!!! hahahaha...j/k..I think he means # 15 or #6 bdc
Yeah, I was thinking probably #14 from his description of the 'fix.'
Old 04-12-2002, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: Civic Si
Mods: AEM CAI, DC 4-2-1 Headers, Apex-i Catback Exhaust, bored Cat, DVD player, and tv
Romio Si is an unknown quantity at this point
The guy said it was like 9 or something, i have an dohc, so thats the wrong dia. for me, it was the top one, if your looking down at your engine closest to you on the right
Old 04-12-2002, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Quote:
Originally posted by Romio Si
The guy said it was like 9 or something, i have an dohc, so thats the wrong dia. for me, it was the top one, if your looking down at your engine closest to you on the right
Okay, well, in case he comes back - it really isn't any big deal. But, he's going to need to buy the parts from Honda. They aren't regular Ace Hardware variety.

I assume he turned the 'acorn' nut [#17] too tight. It's only a 6mm. Then the stud [#14] broke off inside the nut, which is virtually impossible to remove since it's a blind hole. If that's the case, then he'll need a new 'acorn' nut, or a "6mm Chrome Plated Nut Cap" as Honda calls it. That's part #15387 and costs $2.48 - and a new stud, or "Cylinder Head Cover Bolt B." That's part #83198 and costs $3.59.

That should take care of the problem, I think...
Old 04-13-2002, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
KBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these partsKBoomBoxx is infamous around these parts
type-r BDC, thanks

I fixed it today... it was mad easy... removed the valve cover again... removed the stud for the valve cover bolt... I believe it was #14 on BDC's diagram... I bought a new one at the dealership today for $4.84... and yes I also needed an acorn nut... it took maybe 30 to 40 minutes... once
bdc thanks

-Intake,headers,exhaust
-lips and side skirts
-halo's and atleeza's
-some other stuff
Old 06-16-2002, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
TekRacerX is on a distinguished road
I need help!! I snapped a damn vavle cover bolt today. The remains in the acornn nut came out really easy, guess i got lucky there, but how hard is it to reaplce that damn stud?
Old 06-16-2002, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 96 Civic Ex
Mods: OBX racing cat back exhaust , injen intake , indiglos gauges , bomex front , combat sides , buddyclub rear , custon DIY black head light housing and painted valve cover,
civic29 is an unknown quantity at this point
I did the same thing like a month ago when i painted my valve cover! I had to go buy a easy out to get the bolt out then went to my deaker ship and bought the rubber washer thing which the dealer ship put on the bolt i had no silcone and then i just bolted it back up and it all good now didn't cost me any thin mabey 8 buck but had to wait on the blot because they had to order. But its not all that big i actually drove my car with out the bolt it was the front one and didn't leak and oil or anything but i wouldn't recomend that at all.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
TekRacerX is on a distinguished road
How did u get the bolt out and how did u reaplce it? I took off my vavle cover to do the vavle adjustment, and when i put it back on i over torqued it and and it snapped. Right now i need to figure out how to place the bolt. All i do is get a new bolt, open the vavle cover, unscrew the old one and screw in the new one? If that's so, i'm gonna go pick 4 bolt (cause they break so damn easy!) and a new valve cover gasket.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 96 Civic Ex
Mods: OBX racing cat back exhaust , injen intake , indiglos gauges , bomex front , combat sides , buddyclub rear , custon DIY black head light housing and painted valve cover,
civic29 is an unknown quantity at this point
you need a drill a small metal cutting bit and a Bit called a easy out ( both the same size.found at any hardware store). I had a towel that i places around the broke bolt so now metal shavings get in the oil. Then drill a hole with the bit the drill in the easy out and Bam it unscrews the bolt . Its rather easy. The you get the bolt just go the honda dealer near you and order one they might have one in stock. The just screw in the bolt not to tight you don't wanna have to do it all over agian
Old 06-16-2002, 06:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
With my car the vavle cover bolt had thread on one side, with a nut in the middle and thread coming out the other end... in other words, the bolt had thread that went into the vavle guide area, with a nut lying in the middle and the rest of the thread on the other half went up thru the valve cover... for me all I did was remove the valve cover, un screw the whole bolt using the middle nut to remove it, and then buy the new piece and thread it back into the valve area... put the cover back on and torque it according to torque specs this time... been fine ever since... if you need more help or a better description, please let me know

-Intake,headers,exhaust
-lips and side skirts
-halo's and atleeza's
-some other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement