Burning up coolant - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2003, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car:
Mods:
LiQUid_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Burning up coolant

Last night I went to the grocery store and when I was almost home I noticed the temp gauge point at almost red. So I get home and turn the car off, and hear this gurgling sound. I was like WTF?? Then I see some smoke coming out of the engine bay. I pop the hood and see that the coolant is bubbling and like boiling. WTF is wrong. I have never ever seen a car do this in my life. Anyone??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2003, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
jai si is an unknown quantity at this point
Where was the coolant boiling from?? Check your oil and see if there's any water or coolant in there. If so, there went your headgasket.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1995 Honda Civic EX
Mods: AEM Short ram intake, greddy evolution exhaust, thats about it for perfromance till i get some major $$$$
import_tuner24 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a problem with my car overheating.. the coolant didnt boil over but it kept dissapearing and there wasnt a leak or anything so i knew it had to be a head gasket... i changed the head gasket and its been fine ever since... i would do what jai si said and check the oil to see if it has coolant in it... also if you smell your exhaust you can smell the anitfreeze burning if it is getting into your cylinders.
New Pearl Blue Paint job, Body Kit,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2003, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
94LSTEG is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this expensive to fix?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Dr.C is an unknown quantity at this point
Could be your thermostat stuck closed.
ZEX 55 shot
14.18@96.6 w/2.12 60'
Code "91"
Old 05-06-2003, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1995 Honda Civic EX
Mods: AEM Short ram intake, greddy evolution exhaust, thats about it for perfromance till i get some major $$$$
import_tuner24 is an unknown quantity at this point
A head gasket for my car was like 75 dollors and you will also need a new valve cover gasket ($20) intake manifold gasket ($15) and an exhaust manifold gasket ($15). It wasnt to hard to fix but it did take some time. But before you do that i would check your thermostat and change that first cuz its like 3 dollors and alot easier to change than a head gasket
New Pearl Blue Paint job, Body Kit,
Old 05-06-2003, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 94 civic coupe
Mods:
Ftnguyen12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just had a problem like that with my 94 civic. Went to the shop and they put in a switch makes my radiator fan stay on all the time and that seemed to fix my problem. Before this, i was killing a full tank of coolant every few hours and would have to check it and fill it up before i went anywhere.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
94LSTEG is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to the mechanic to find out if I was leaking anti-freeze. He did some sort of test. He took off the radiator cap and replaced it with a pump. He then pump it to see if anti-freeze was visible. No sign. (Is that a compression test).

He then told me that it's possible that my engine was burning the anti-freeze. He told me that it could cost anywhere from 1 - 2 K to fix. Is that possible.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 2006 MazdaSpeed6
Mods: It's just a Mazda...
D-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud ofD-Series has much to be proud of
DAMN!!! 1k to 2k. I had the same problem you did. It was a craxked head gasket. If your going to do your head gasket I would recommend doing your timming belt and water pump too. It shouldn't run you too much to get all that done. I spent about $150. Did all the labor myself.

-Head gasket
-Water pump
-Timming belt
-intake manifold gasket
-Valve cover gasket (but not really needed)
-Honda bond

This isn't really too hard to do but just time consuming if you really haven't don it b4.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
SuperSleeper will become famous soon enoughSuperSleeper will become famous soon enough
Thats possible becuase theres a lot of time involved. I would say no more then 1k though, and thats fixing the headgasket-water pump-timing belt. I wouldnt do it yourself if you've never done something like this before. Have them check out the radiator and get the whole system flushed out. How does your coolant look? Do you fill it with water or actual coolant? If its rusted out, you probably need a new radiator. I would start with the radiator and thermostat and then go back to the mechanic if that doesnt work. With blown headgasket(or a leaking one)you wont necessarily overheat, but with a stuck thermostat or radiator that have bad resevoirs, you would definitely overheat. I drove a 1984 Toyota Camry with a blown headgasket for a year and a half and it would only overheat once I got on the freeway, but NEVER around town. I ended up breaking the flexplate before I had to replace the entire motor.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
stackz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by SuperSleeper
Thats possible becuase theres a lot of time involved. I would say no more then 1k though, and thats fixing the headgasket-water pump-timing belt. I wouldnt do it yourself if you've never done something like this before. Have them check out the radiator and get the whole system flushed out. How does your coolant look? Do you fill it with water or actual coolant? If its rusted out, you probably need a new radiator. I would start with the radiator and thermostat and then go back to the mechanic if that doesnt work. With blown headgasket(or a leaking one)you wont necessarily overheat, but with a stuck thermostat or radiator that have bad resevoirs, you would definitely overheat. I drove a 1984 Toyota Camry with a blown headgasket for a year and a half and it would only overheat once I got on the freeway, but NEVER around town. I ended up breaking the flexplate before I had to replace the entire motor.
$1k!?!?!? that mechanic and you both are on crack!!!

anytime anyone tells you you're burning coolant and that it'll cost that much is on crack trying to take you to the bank man...only way to "burn" coolant is from head gasket leak into the combustion chamber and then you'd have white smoke out the tailpipe....

that sucking thingy he did on the radiator was NOT a compression test (that goes in through the spark plug hole) it was merely a coolant pressure system test (making sure radiator had no leaks...nor hoses). I honestly don't know if honda's have "sealed" coolant systems or not (one's that need to be bled of all air bubbles). If they do and you ran low and have bubbles then you will overheat no matter WHAT until you rebleed the system. Could be a blown head gasket, could be a leaky line, could be a rotted water pump impeller, could be stuck thermostat, could be your fans not working, could be clogged system.

apparently there's no fluid in the system when the mechanic looked at it so I'm leaning to a leak somewhere...park it in the driveway, crank it with radiator cap off, fill from the garden hose till it spills out the radiator....wait, once it warms up and starts cycling after the thermostat opens the level will go down in the radiator, add more from the hose until it overflows and then put the radiator cap on and cut the car off...walk away and give it time to cool off/dry off...

come back, recrank, let it warm up then wait some more and start looking like a mad fool because once pressure builds up your leak will present itself...also look under car if you see nothing as once you see the drip/pouring you'll be able to trace it upwards...
Old 05-07-2003, 06:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
SuperSleeper will become famous soon enoughSuperSleeper will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by stackz
$1k!?!?!? that mechanic and you both are on crack!!!

anytime anyone tells you you're burning coolant and that it'll cost that much is on crack trying to take you to the bank man...only way to "burn" coolant is from head gasket leak into the combustion chamber and then you'd have white smoke out the tailpipe....

that sucking thingy he did on the radiator was NOT a compression test (that goes in through the spark plug hole) it was merely a coolant pressure system test (making sure radiator had no leaks...nor hoses). I honestly don't know if honda's have "sealed" coolant systems or not (one's that need to be bled of all air bubbles). If they do and you ran low and have bubbles then you will overheat no matter WHAT until you rebleed the system. Could be a blown head gasket, could be a leaky line, could be a rotted water pump impeller, could be stuck thermostat, could be your fans not working, could be clogged system.

apparently there's no fluid in the system when the mechanic looked at it so I'm leaning to a leak somewhere...park it in the driveway, crank it with radiator cap off, fill from the garden hose till it spills out the radiator....wait, once it warms up and starts cycling after the thermostat opens the level will go down in the radiator, add more from the hose until it overflows and then put the radiator cap on and cut the car off...walk away and give it time to cool off/dry off...

come back, recrank, let it warm up then wait some more and start looking like a mad fool because once pressure builds up your leak will present itself...also look under car if you see nothing as once you see the drip/pouring you'll be able to trace it upwards...
1. Read this entire thread again, I never said he was burning antifreeze. I know what the symptoms are of burning antifreeze and he doesnt have them, obviously
2. 1k for labor/parts on a headgasket, water pump and timing belt is reasonable last time I checked. I was a mechanic for three years and have done many timing belts and water pumps for anywhere between $600-$700 including parts. $1000 isnt a far stretch. Anything over 1k is a ripoff for sure(like I said in my last post).
3. I gave him a list of options to go through before he spends any large sum of money on a mechanic. Just because he's low on coolant doesnt mean he's leaking somewhere. Its called evaporation. If it gets hot enough and he uses water to fill it, then it will evaporate especially if the car is overheating to begin with. He could also be burning it and not even notice the smoke out the back. Just because its leaking doesnt mean that its pouring coolant into the cylinders. It could be so little that the smoke isnt noticable.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
stackz is on a distinguished road
it takes 6 hours to remove/install a head gasket (1 hour removal/install for exhaust manifold) (1 hour removal/install for intake) (1 hour removal/install of head) and that includes torquing....that's $100/hr labor!!! that's fucked up unless that includes hardware.

all I can say to this guy is not to go to your shop...do it himself.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 95 CIVIC EX COUPE
Mods: LS INTEG MOTOR
LSHYBRIDCIVIC will become famous soon enough
ehehehe...im a lazy sumbitch....when my headgasket went, i talked my ex gurl into gettin me a new motor.....ehehehehe
Old 05-07-2003, 07:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car:
Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by stackz
it takes 6 hours to remove/install a head gasket (1 hour removal/install for exhaust manifold) (1 hour removal/install for intake) (1 hour removal/install of head) and that includes torquing....that's $100/hr labor!!! that's fucked up unless that includes hardware.

all I can say to this guy is not to go to your shop...do it himself.
HOLY SHAT! Could you not understand my last post either?!?!

"...timing belts and water pumps for anywhere between $600-$700 including parts. $1000 isnt a far stretch..."

Let me translate:
Timing belts and water pumps will be done for anywhere between $600-$700 including parts. That would be parts and labor together. So to include the removal/install of the exhaust/intake manifold and head should be around another $300-$400 in parts and labor. What dont you understand about this? Its simple math. Labor rate for work like this can run anywhere between $65-$100 depending on where you go. My friend charges $78/hr working out of his garage at home! He has a week and a half waiting list!

From the way this guy sounds(no offense to liquidx)I dont think he could do this on his own and thats assuming he even has the tools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

« Damn! | interior »