car shaking when stopped - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 10:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
car shaking when stopped

Not actually a civic problem, but people tend to respond quickly here.

I did a tune up on my moms 89 accord lxi (automatic tranny) today and one of the problems she is having is when she comes to a complete stop the car shakes (dash, windows, everything). If you shift to park or neutral it instantly stops shaking. It doesn't always shake when you stop, but it does it more often than not.

I changed the tranny fluid (it looked pretty nasty) and that helped the tranny shift better, but did nothing for the shake. Aside from the shake, the tranny seems to be fine. After changing the fluid, it shifts just fine, consistent and as smooth as you could expect from a 14yr old car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2002, 03:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
GScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhileGScivic7 Needs to go outside once in awhile
i think this is normal...my 90 civic does the same when i come to a stop sometimes, it doesn't shake hard, but if i have something in the glove box besides my papers, you can hear it rattling in there. my friend's mom's 90 accord also does the same, i'm not sure if it's something to really worry about.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2002, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
Old 11-24-2002, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 1998 Honda Civic Dx Coupe Automatic
Mods: AEM CAI
casti002 is an unknown quantity at this point
from www.all-parts.com

"1989_Honda Accord
Engine_Vibration_When driving_Always
Q:__When I put it out of park, or neutral, the whole car shakes. Also when I do that, it idles about 750 rpm. What do you suggest.

A:__Sounds a lot like an engine miss.... Possible spark plug wires or spark plugs.... Also check the dist cap for cracks.....Ed"

This guy gets it when he takes it out of park or neutral but I would check the same thing on mine to see if its a bad plug a wire or there is a crack on the dist cap.
Old 11-25-2002, 01:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 94 Civic EX
Mods: STOCK
lil gotti is an unknown quantity at this point
it might be the motor mounts
Old 11-25-2002, 01:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 94 Civic EX
Mods: STOCK
lil gotti is an unknown quantity at this point
the little rubber things that go in between the motor and the frame
Old 11-25-2002, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car:
Mods:
tds715 is on a distinguished road
could the torque converter be part of the problem?
Old 11-25-2002, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Mods:
Re: from www.all-parts.com

Quote:
Originally posted by casti002
"1989_Honda Accord
Engine_Vibration_When driving_Always
Q:__When I put it out of park, or neutral, the whole car shakes. Also when I do that, it idles about 750 rpm. What do you suggest.

A:__Sounds a lot like an engine miss.... Possible spark plug wires or spark plugs.... Also check the dist cap for cracks.....Ed"

This guy gets it when he takes it out of park or neutral but I would check the same thing on mine to see if its a bad plug a wire or there is a crack on the dist cap.
Yeah, someone suggested that. However I changed the plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor as part of the tune-up. It didn't make a difference. However the timing is probably off...
Old 11-25-2002, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by lil gotti
it might be the motor mounts
If it was the mounts, wouldn't the car shake all of the time? And wouldn't it be worse the higher the engine revved?
Old 11-25-2002, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by tds715
could the torque converter be part of the problem?
Thats what I'm thinking, but I don't know much about auto tranmissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement