dash light and headlights flicker. - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car:
Mods:
The_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapy
dash light and headlights flicker.

I recently started noticing that my headlights would flicker occassionally. Then it increased from an occasional flicker to a more constant flicker, but now it also includes my dash (guage) lights as well. They flicker WITH the headlight flicker now.

Any ideas? I have not had any major work done on the vehicle that would require any wiring to be removed. The last thing repair wise was replacing the battery and a blown out bulb. However, the bulbs have been in there several months now. Replaced the bulbs in both lights with matching bulbs.

Anyone?

2000 civic EX sedan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: Mazda Protege5
Mods: Magnaflow secondary catalytic converter
fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?
Check the drive belt for the alternator. If it's worn, replace it.
Or, the alternator might be dying and not juicing your battery enough. Then, you'll have to replace the alternator.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car:
Mods:
The_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapyThe_Producer needs rep therapy
whats the best way to tell if it's the alternator? I will check the belts this evening, last I checked, they all looked like they were in good shape... but I've been wrong before! Thanks!

Oh, one more thing, my radar detector has a voltage meter on it, and when the car is running it stays well above 13.5 volts under load so I'd assume the alternator is still charging.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1991 prelude/96 del sol
Mods: 91 on coils/delsol wrecked but being fixed
schuyler91 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Producer View Post
whats the best way to tell if it's the alternator? I will check the belts this evening, last I checked, they all looked like they were in good shape... but I've been wrong before! Thanks!

Oh, one more thing, my radar detector has a voltage meter on it, and when the car is running it stays well above 13.5 volts under load so I'd assume the alternator is still charging.
check all grounds to be sure none have broke or (depending on the year) vibrated loose. happened to me when i got my lude years ago.

plus, a bad battery can do that even showing good voltage as well
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
SH Virus

fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?fartbomber you're still here?
Quote:

Bring it to a car parts store like Advanced Auto and have them check it.
How old is your current battery?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car:
Mods:
The battery is less than a year old.

So yesterday evening I drove home and the headlights were not on because the sun was still out and my voltage meter on my radar detector was reading 12.9 - 13.5. This morning with headlights on the meter was reading anywhere from 13.5 - 13.7 and no flickering.

However, I just realized that the AC was acting strange the other day. It was blowing air out super hard and cold. It was never like that. It has since stopped. I bring this up because aren't the alternator and AC belts the same??

I haven't changed the belts myself. I have 145k miles on the car, but the previous owner claims the timing belt and other belts were changed at 90k. Might be time to change all the belts. lol
Old 04-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
SH Virus

Quote:
However, I just realized that the AC was acting strange the other day. It was blowing air out super hard and cold. It was never like that. It has since stopped. I bring this up because aren't the alternator and AC belts the same??

I haven't changed the belts myself. I have 145k miles on the car, but the previous owner claims the timing belt and other belts were changed at 90k. Might be time to change all the belts. lol
The drive belt is just one of mutilple things to check.

I had the same issue you went through. I changed the battery thinking it was the root cause. It was fine for a short time. Then, the battery was weak again. I changed out the alternator. No problems after that.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car:
Mods:
Thanks. I think I will take it this weekend to get checked out at the auto parts place. and start getting it fixed before it dies.

Its just one of those things... I am at the point of where its do I fix it or trade in on a newer car.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
AutoShepherd is on a distinguished road
I would check the battery and alternator. There is a quick write up on how to test them at
Autoshepherd Blog. If those are good, I would check for bad/loose grounds or even corrosion.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car:
Mods:
Well, last friday I had a top tank blow on my radiator. I replaced the entire cooling system with the exception of a water pump. But anyway checked all grounds and battery terminals and everything was in good order.

Went to test drive the vehicle after replacing the cooling system and my AC compressor was short cycling because of the condensor fan! I took it in to get replaced and now I have ICE cold A/C and they claimed the positive battery terminal was loose. Long story short, I just got to work and my voltage meter on my radar detector alarmed and shut down the radar detector due to low voltage. Still cruising below 12v. So I will be checking the alternator today/tomorrow!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 95civic Ex Coupe
Mods: Dropped, Custom Paint, Body kit, Lambo doors, Pink HIDs, Halo projectors, Apexi Exhaust, Secret Weapo intake, Stock D16z6 Vtecn
808babyd is on a distinguished road
I'm having the same problem..does your deck ever die out n turn back on as well?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1998 a4 avant
Mods: a sweet set of fuzzy dice, and a nos sticker
budfeedsmyfamly is on a distinguished road
I would not think it is the alternator or the battery. You would know if the alternator isnt working properly. Easy test too, you just disconect the positive from your battery while your car is running. The aternator should keep powering everything on the car. Where they flicker I am leaning towards a bad ground connection or even a short on a positive wire somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement