engine swap with first gen civic - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1979 Honda Civic CVCC 1.5L
Mods: working on a D series engine swap...
1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore
engine swap with first gen civic

i'm trying to put either a b16 or a d16z6 into a 1979 civic cvcc three door hatchback and i can't find the engine mounts anywhere. any suggestion?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1991 honda crx si
Mods: swapped.
slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?
this is for all the old civic buffs. why the fuck swap it? keep it a daily dude you have a classic hatch. dont ruin that. find an EF hatch to swap or something

and if you dont decide to listen to me. then you might as well find someone to make you custom mounts for a swap like that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore1979CVCC is a rep whore
it's just that the car was sitting for 12 years in a barn so it smokes like a chimney. i figure i'd put something in with a little more power and reliability. it's hard to start when it's cold, the carb needs adjusting, and i think the rings are bad and that's why it smokes. just a lot of stuff that could be solved with a D16 or so.
yesno?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3 civichatch3
its impossible to find mounts on a first gen civic. might as well get an eg.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1991 honda crx si
Mods: swapped.
slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by civichatch3 View Post
its impossible to find mounts on a first gen civic. might as well get an eg.
x2
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
my cousing had an original civic when I was a kid. It was yellow. I loved that little thing.

If you want to swap a bigger motor, you are going to have to fab up the mounts yourself. Hasport Performance, Inc. would be your best bet, but I doubt they offer anything.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Car: 81 Rabbit 81 Rabbit Pickup 84 Vr6 Rabbit Convertible 97 Accord 00 Jetta VR6 97 Audi A4 1.8t
Mods:
RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!
personally i would rebuild the engine thats in it. freshen up the interior and what not. thats a classic. I want to see pics

it's better to lease in this situation than it is to own

Old 01-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car: 1994 civic EX
Mods: nothing special ;)
Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?Anomoly you're still here?
yes it is a classic that should be restored, but i have seen a few with b16's... heres the bad news...you have to fab the mounts, and other parts yourself, or pay someone alot of money to do it, noone has a kit available, keep in mind not only will you need to fab mounts, you will also need wiring, ECU, axles, custom axles, suspension, shift linkage...etc
Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
PICS OR BAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caramel Chocolate Lover View Post
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

i have a friend who is pretty good with cars and is willing to help me get on my feet with the whole modding thing. it's my first so i don't know what to really expect. but i got the car for free because it had been sitting in a barn for 12 years and didn't run or anything. so i played with it and got it running and i feel like an engine upgrade wouldn't be too bad. because of the fact it smokes like crazy and it feels like i'm pushing the car too much when i'm driving on the freeway. i want it to last for a while and i feel like the money would be worth it. also, it's the only car i really have that i can play with and i really want to get into modding.

here's what i'm working with:

Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
nice car, you would prolly have a lil bit of trouble getting a B series to fit. Id try going around seeing about rebuilding and maybe converting to fuel injection, but keep the original block in there!! lol
Quote:
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
Also, maybe all it would need is some gaskets replaced to stop the smoking.. personally I think its badass that you have a classic honda hatch
Quote:
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
BD
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 11 Civic SI Sedan and 09 Accord LX-P Sedan
Mods: All Stock
BD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphereBD In the rep troposphere
The cvcc engines had issues with the auxiliary valves retaining collars rattling themselves loose which means loss of power and mega oil burning....probably the issue you are seeing with yours.....the cvcc was a neat little engine for the lates 70s. I'd look into rebuilding that bad boy.

My dad bought an 81 1.5 CVCC hatch and I was 8 and he'd let me shift the 5 speed in that thing and he drove it hard and it held up for 6 years and then he sold it (83-89). If I remember correctly he was tell me that it revved as high a vette of the era (almost 6k if i remember correctly).

09 Accord LX-P Sedan
09 WRX wagon
98 EJ6
Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
thomatt12 is on a distinguished road
Check first if the original engine is still repairable. Personally, if it was me I would choose to retain the original motor because this car is already a classic. But if it is already impossible to rebuild the engine, I guess a B16 swap isn't that bad after all. I've seen a Mini Cooper with a B16 on it, and it was awesome.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Noob

yeah. i've been getting that from a lot of people. to just rebuild it i mean. i have to put some more thought into it though. i found a D series engine that is the same size that would probably fit nicely. it is a nice little car, and i don't want to get a newer one to do something with because of the fact that it's a classic honda and i love it. it's quite a dilemma. i figured some advice from people who know a more about modding would help but i'm still getting mixed reviews, haha. damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement