Forced muffler break-in? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1998 Civic LX
Mods: Cosmetic
brady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep troposphere
Forced muffler break-in?

OK I've heard of exhaust sound break-in before. I understand some people think it's true, others not, but I had a strange break-in happen...I think.

I got my axle-back about 3 years ago. It came with a silencer, but I never really put it on until about 2 1/2 months ago. My exhaust was always kind of drony and boring (which I expected, since it was an axle back with stock piping from the cat).

BUT...after 2.5 months of having the silencer on, i took it off and the sound is much more throaty/garbly and less annoying. And it's not my ears just getting used to the louder noise again, it's truly better sounding.

Did my exhaust just get broken in? After 3 years???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 97 EJ8 / 06 DC5-S
Mods:
.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!
normally it happens alot sooner than 3 years.. My N1 took a few months to break in. Well, its still kinda breaking in, and its been like 9 months.

A priest is rushing to my side.. Begins to read me my last rights
Father you're too late, my faith is weak.. So won't you save your half-hearted speech

A man bends down and says,
"Son we're gonna get through this one take my hand and let us pray."
I scream, "Please get the fuck away."

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 1979 Porsche 911SC, 95 Chevy S-10, 2 1990 Miatas
Mods: Don't you wish you knew
hobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problem
I cant imagine what would have changed to "break in" anything.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifeless Ninja

Car: 2008 Civic Si
Mods: Stock
98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad98civcEK is sad...just sad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie237
I cant imagine what would have changed to "break in" anything.
the gaskets.

my n1 didn;t sound like it did when i first installed it. it got deeper. but that was within a couple weeks. i think. its been a year now.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1998 Civic LX
Mods: Cosmetic
brady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep troposphere
Yeah you all seem to have had quicker break-ins. 3 years seems extremely odd/rare..that's why I bring it up. Otherwise I would have just shrugged it off.

It's not really worrying me at all...it's just friggin wierd.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 1979 Porsche 911SC, 95 Chevy S-10, 2 1990 Miatas
Mods: Don't you wish you knew
hobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98civcEK
the gaskets.

my n1 didn;t sound like it did when i first installed it. it got deeper. but that was within a couple weeks. i think. its been a year now.

I meant what would have changed that hadnt changed in the last 3 years. Shoulda been more clear. My bad. I guess it's possible, just odd.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 02 Civic EX
Mods:
02EXSILVER has a spectacular aura about02EXSILVER has a spectacular aura about
I'm not trying to cast you out... but

Your crazy...

The "break-in" period should take no longer than about 50-70 FULL drive cycles. The average drive cycle: From a cold start, to full opperating tempature, maintain full opperating temp for at least one hour, full cool down.

This is ther period of time usuialy required to let the metal components settle. On an atomic leval. In this period of time there is a substiantial leval of expansion and contraction. There are many definitions to this, but in order to keep it simple... hey thats just what happens.

When you have a "standard" exhaust, you typicly will not notice a "break-in". Thoes exhaust are designed to be quiet in the first place...

I hope this helps a little. As far as your exh. taking 3yrs... I'd say to you... in a good way though.

Oh yeah, and don't forget (he's my favorite)
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car: 93 prelude si vtec
Mods: jdm h22, header, high flow cat, cat back exhaust, cai, stage 1 exceddy clutch with 8 pound flywheel, gauges in a pod, system...much more to come
johnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhilejohnlude85 Needs to go outside once in awhile
thats weird. sounds like it finally broke in(which is weird after 3 years) or you had a tiny pinhole somewhere in the sxhaust system, probably in the stock piping, and when you put on the silencer it made the hole bigger from the added back pressure and resistance. id look for a hole. if u cant see a hole turn on the car and have someone take a towel and plug off the tip and then run your hands along the exhhaust starting from the header and work your way back. see if you feel anything coming out from anywhere.

2005 subaru sti---the beast
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: nothing right now
Mods:
charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?charliemopps24 you're still here?
I thought the kind of breaking in that changes the sound had to do with carbon build-up.

P.S. - Never use silencers, they suck. :boo
Old 01-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
jon

Car: 2007 f150 xlt lariat
Mods: Toolbox
jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?
i never noticed any break in on my n1, but then again i always have blaring music in my car
Old 01-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car: 2004 Rsx Type S,1998 Twin Turbo Supra,Fiances car 2003 Evo 8
Mods: Ask to many to bother listing....Plus theres not enough room
GotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphereGotBoost98 In the stratusphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFK_SI_EG
i never noticed any break in on my n1, but then again i always have blaring music in my car
that doesnt shock me jon
2000 Acura Integra Type R::Stolen::

Gotboost? Im getting obnoxious in my old age
These are a must see guys check them out!!!
The Truth About Dyno Testing 139 DIY tuning Tips Cryogenic Treatment
Turbo Troubleshooting 101 Turbocharging Vs Supercharging Octane Facts
Turbo Sizing Code Breakers Honda Trade Secrets Tire Size Vs Power Production

Old 01-20-2006, 01:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35S and 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport
Mods: Taillight Overlays and Magnaflow Exhaust
NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?
mufflers have something in therelike some kinda of material? mine wasnt too loud but over the past three years my canister style muffler is louder over the years. it gets worn down inside somehow but i dont knoe what the stuff inside is called.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1997 Prelude
Mods: K&N Drop in. :)
importrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of lightimportrcr00 is a glorious beacon of light
It's just a fiberglass packing to absorb some of the sound. Over the years it gets impacted with the exhaust shit and will have less ability to absorb sound...
4 Doors used to be the best!!

Old 01-20-2006, 04:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 02 Civic EX
Mods:
02EXSILVER has a spectacular aura about02EXSILVER has a spectacular aura about
Fiberglass is most common to find in a muffler. Although lately I have seen the use of strands of stainless steel.

And yes the settling of carbon particles is important too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement