Honda dealer ruined my engine- I need advice NOW!!!!!!!!! - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2002, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 1994 Civic Sedan
Mods: Base
bennington28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Honda dealer ruined my engine- I need advice NOW!!!!!!!!!

I took my car to Honda to get my engine diagnosed and to determine why I have a minor rpm stumble at idle when the car is warm. The give me a $80 estimate and I tell them to "call me and tell me what is wrong if they find a problem and not to fix it" I called throughout the day and they say they can't find the prob. Eventually, they determine that my idle problem is related to the bosch plugs that I installed and they put in Honda plugs without asking me. They say the problem has been fixed and I pay 100$ and drive it home. On the way home the car starts to overheat 2 minutes after driving off and cuts off. White smoke or vapor billows out of the tail pipe. I had the car towed back and the service manager said they will fix it if they caused this problem.

The next day they say the car needs a new head gasket and they won't fix it beacuse it would have blown eventually, it just happened to happen after I left their lot. The say that they never even drove the car while it was being checked and that it sat in the garage the whole time it was there. They said that the plugs did not cause the gasket to blow. Then the mangager says that they will fix it for $900!. I have intstalled these in three hours for less than $100 in parts. They are saying $900 = $50labor x 16hours +$100 for Honda parts. N U T S!!!!!

I told him that I did not tell them to install the plugs and asked why didn't they find the gasket problem when they checked the engine. I said why didn't you road test the car? He said he would only give me back the towing cost and cost my $100, but would not repair the head. He said that the gasket was 99% gone when I brought it in.

Monday I am going to see the head guy at the dealer and threaten to sue if they don't fix the damage.

My car was running fine and never overheated prior to taking it there. I just put in a new timing belt and water pump and thermostat, and changed the antifreeze last week. The car in a 94' with 70000miles.

What are my chances and what should I say to try to get them to fix it? What could they have done that would have caused this?

94' honda civic lx sedan--- only 70000miles .. this is a winter car only!:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 98 Honda Civic Coupe Dx
Mods: 18" Konig Toxins with Yokohama Parada spec 2 225/35/zr18, 5-Zigen Fireball Catback, tint, tail lights, grill. Soon a Swap and Ground effects
i5xSwipe is an unknown quantity at this point
A few months back I had a problem with the dealership, here's my story. I changed my oil, like I usually do, about 3 or 4 weeks went by, and I went down to Detroit, and on the way back on the expressway, I guess my drainplug fell out. It was dark out, and I didn't see the smoke pouring out the back, and my thermostat gauge never moved up, indicating overheating. I started hearing a small tic tic tic tic, so i killed the music, and fan, and was like oh shit i got a knock. So I slowed down, and went like another mile and half to the first exit, i could get too, it was the exit i was going for anyways, and i get to the top of the ramp, and my oil light comes on so i throw it in neutral and kill the engine. Find I lost my oil pan drain plug, still am not sure why because put it in tight. So we left it there for like 2 days till the Dealer was open. We put my car in my friends brand new enclosed race trailer, and tow it up to the dealer. I unloaded it, very delicatly and parked it next to the fence inside the lot, tires were all fine. I filled out a drop off form and told them, not to touch the car until I knew exactly if anything was covered under warranty or insurance, i didn't sign my name for them to look or touch the car either. Next morning find out they made a key and moved my car. (it's not safe parked where it was, inside there gate they lock. was there excuse) and i guess they looked at it. So I get a new motor, it's suppose to be 4-5 days, takes 2 weeks. While it's there after like 3 days i notice one my 215/35/zr18 paradas is flat and sitting on the rim. I didn't think much of it. Go to pic up the car, asked them why it was flat and there like we don't know we looked at it, we put air in it, and it's holding. So i didn't think much of it. So I cruised around that night, finally had car back, and go home next morning go to work and realize man that tires flat again, so i was a few miles from discount tire, so i went up there they take it off, in seconds there like umm your rim is cracked. I take a look at it, big ass crack on the inner lip down. and there's a big gash in the tire wall. So they put air in it, and the tire was all bubbled, because I drove on it low. So I put my spare on, went straight to the dealer, and the guy is a total asshole, says he'll look into it, blows me off because i'm young. I come back he's like we're not going to help you out at replacing these. So I end up having to go see the Distric Manager i think it was of the company. Took like an hour of arguing, finally got him to agree to pay for at least half. So i go and buy the new wheel/tire and come back with receit, and he's like this is too much, i wasn't expecting the bill to be this much, even though he was only playing like $50 more than before. So i had to argue with him again, finally got him to pay nearly half of it, $200. So i'm never dealing with these guys again. In the service lot where I parked my car, there's big potholes, when they were "pushing my car" to and from the garage, it must have fallen in one of the holes and the edge of the rim caught the cement and the car landed on the rim, cracking it. But they seem to think that it's impossible, but seeing how the rim sticks out slight from the tire, on 35 series tires it's not impossible. It was hell
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-02-2002, 02:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

I am just going to sue them in small claims. I don't have time to argue with ass holes- I will go to the dealer and state my position and sue them if they blame this on me. I just need an argument to use in court that could explain how what they did caused/lead the gasket to blow.

They are saying that all they did was put in plugs and that would not cause it to blow. Who knows what they messed with while checking the car out.

I never told them to put in plugs. All I asked for was for a diagnosis- I clearly said "no repairs"
Old 11-02-2002, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Car: 2012 Infiniti G37
Mods:
Johnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problemJohnny Tran has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally posted by bennington28
I am just going to sue them in small claims. I don't have time to argue with ass holes- I will go to the dealer and state my position and sue them if they blame this on me. I just need an argument to use in court that could explain how what they did caused/lead the gasket to blow.

They are saying that all they did was put in plugs and that would not cause it to blow. Who knows what they messed with while checking the car out.

I never told them to put in plugs. All I asked for was for a diagnosis- I clearly said "no repairs"
Only problem with that is how are you going to link the plugs to the head gasket? Also they are going to ask why yu paid for it if you didn't want them to do any repairs.

Good luck though.

12 Infiniti G37

2000 EBP Si
STOLEN 11-21-04
Team OG AKA v00tecsi
Old 11-03-2002, 06:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car:
Mods:
KoolAsian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally posted by v00tecsi
Only problem with that is how are you going to link the plugs to the head gasket? Also they are going to ask why yu paid for it if you didn't want them to do any repairs.

Good luck though.
Well if there was something wrong with the gasket why didn't they say anything in the first place?
Old 11-03-2002, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

upon futher research, I have learned that Honda issued a service bliten on 94' civics. It says that these cars have head gasket leakage problems. If you replace the gasket, they even have a special head gasket replacement kit (different gasket and bolts) if your gasket was leaking. why didn't the dealer know this or tell me about this service bulliten when I took it in?
My car is a 94', but only has 72000miles. This bulliten was issued in 1997'. I got it off alldata .com
Old 11-05-2002, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 2000 Civic EX, just picked up a Prelude 88 or 89 SI.
Mods: A-E-M CAI, Tenzo R Poke 10 rims (17x 7's), Bridgestone Potenza tires, RACtive exhaust, ground control coilover kit, WW Body Kit (Type - W) and a minor system. On the Civic. Nothing yet on the Prelude.
popag99 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar problem with my Honda dealer. Check engine light came on and my car started to suck gas like a beast hog. I took my car into the dealer ship they just rest the computer. Couldnt tell me what was wrong. Sent me on my merry way, I talked to the manager of the service department and he said since I had my CAI in and my muffler they wouldnt go into detail to fix the problem. Now my car guzzels gas, and blows out a darker colored smoke. Some guy I work with said im running way to rich. Any ideas would help. I plan on taking my car to another Honda dealer ship to find out what might be wrong.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 2000 Civic
Mods: Bone stock
MN91TEG is an unknown quantity at this point
[/QUOTE] Now my car guzzels gas, and blows out a darker colored smoke. Some guy I work with said im running way to rich. Any ideas would help. I plan on taking my car to another Honda dealer ship to find out what might be wrong.

Look at your ECU codes that you threw when your engine light came on. Sounds like your computer is trying to dump a bunch of fuel into your engine to compensate.

Anybody know Josh Vang in MN?
Old 11-05-2002, 04:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 2000 Civic
Mods: Bone stock
MN91TEG is an unknown quantity at this point
oops forgot to comment on the original post...

If you didn't say that they could replace anything on your car, then they have some explaining to do.

My question is what type of plugs did you install that would cause an idle problem. Bosch/Honda, who cares. They're the same thing with a different label and different prices. Unless you installed the wrong type of plug or the wrong size of plug, you can almost assume that something happened in the shop to cause the gasket failure. Odd that it would fail on the way back from the dealership...hmmm seems fishy to me.

Anybody know Josh Vang in MN?
Old 11-05-2002, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 98ex
Mods: motor/tranny out
Toddnos is an unknown quantity at this point
I swore the last time i took my car to the dealership it would be the last........came back with dents in each fender around the engine bay. From belt buckles leanin over the lowered car. I work on my own shit from now on. period. If i dont know how i learn.:

TPP
Old 11-06-2002, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: Best Buy Cashier
Mods:
b16a ferio is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't understand why you guys have such problems. I guess it's cause I've made friends with some of the guys at my Honda dealership...I have never had issues with the guys there. Anyways, take the dealer to small claims court. If they did work on the car when you specifically said not to, you have a right to sue. Only problem, like someone else posted, why did you pay for work you didn't want to have done? Paying for it is basically saying you wanted it done and were willing to get it done...other than that, you probably have a strong case against your dealer.

goodbye Ferio....hello hatchback!

I HATE RICE
Old 11-07-2002, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 99EXCVC/96PROJECTCOUPE
Mods: TBA
itsbeenawhile is an unknown quantity at this point
well heres my story:

awhile back when i had my gsr, i blew my 5th gear synchro, wouldn't stay in 5th when i pressed the gas... so i took it into acura to have them look at it, being 18 at the time, i was automatically blamed for causing it, which i was no doubt but thats besides the point, they kept on about racing blah blah, i kept stating that i drive normal. Anyway, after all day bickering w/them, they finally decided to take apart the trans and take a look, seeing how it was still under warranty. a couple hours later the guy comes to me and says, "did you put synthetic oil in your trans?" this i did not do. he brought me over to it and the gears appeared burned. So he decided to have it rebuilt, i got a loaner teg and went home. 2 days later i go to pick it up, somethings not right! it was difficult to put in all gears, and my brake pedal was almost to the ground when the brake was pressed. they said its normal because of the rebuilt...so i went home. jacked up the car took the front wheels off and the bolt holding the axles to the disk was just sitting there, i could spin it with my finger. so i tightened that and went out that night. after drive around for sometime the car finally died. i couldnt drive it. was lost as to why it wouldnt run. had it towed back to acura, they took off the trans and again the guy asked me, "did you put synthetic oil in the trans?" WTF MAN! i finally just talked to the mechanic who was checkingouthe trans. he told me that who ever put it together fawked it up major. so i went to the ass at the desk and told him this was unexceptable i need my car, yadayadayada. he wanted to rebuild it again. NONONO, this went on all day again, finally called pops and had his lawyer come down to help me. well as soon as i did that, there was progress huh amazing. ended up getting a complete trans w/half as many miles as i had on my car from another dealer lot, and the rest is history. thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement