How do you check if your starter is getting power? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
preludepowr is on a distinguished road
How do you check if your starter is getting power?

Hi all.
When I try to start my car, I get absolutely no power....no clicking, cranking or anything.

I have power to everything else though...headlights, turn signals, gauge cluster, interior lights, etc.

Perhaps my starter isn't getting power? How do I check?

Thankyou very much. I need your input.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Olde School Ricer

Car: 89crx
Mods: built motor, supercharged
yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!
There's a big power wire on the side. Use a test light or volt gauge to check it. There is also a signal wire on the soleniod. You will need someone to hold the key in the start position to check this.
Old 10-17-2005, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 96 Civic EX 4-dr / 01 Lexus IS300
Mods: CIVIC: NONE - just loving the 35-40 mpg :-D / LEX:K&N filter, Tsudo Cat-back, clear lights where applicable
civicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludepowr
Hi all.
When I try to start my car, I get absolutely no power....no clicking, cranking or anything.
power? How do I check?
I have the same problem with my civic after checking the flywheel and axles out today. when the car should start, everything goes black and I hear a quiet humming sound from under the hood. I imagine it's an oil pump or something?? Then in the on position, everything electrical works.
Anyway, rep for starting a thread for me. :clap
I need to get a volt-meter.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Car: 81 Rabbit 81 Rabbit Pickup 84 Vr6 Rabbit Convertible 97 Accord 00 Jetta VR6 97 Audi A4 1.8t
Mods:
RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!
yea just take a volt meter and put it to the red wire to the red nut in the picture below then put the black wire on a ground is there voltage?

if not then trace the wire back to the battery until you find the problem.
another thing is if the wire isn't plugged into here all the way then it won't start

the wire that plugs into here comes from the ignition switch. if you have power to the other nut, unplug this wire and put a volt meter to it. have another person try to start the car. if this doesn't have power when he turns it to the start position, start tracing it back to the ignition and check the fuses.

if you have power to the starter and want to check if the starter is good, use a jumper wire and jump the red nut and the plug. this will power the siliniod without the ignition switch, therefore you need to make sure the car is out of gear

it's better to lease in this situation than it is to own

Old 10-17-2005, 05:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Olde School Ricer

Car: 89crx
Mods: built motor, supercharged
yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!
Nice pics. Rep for you.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Car: 81 Rabbit 81 Rabbit Pickup 84 Vr6 Rabbit Convertible 97 Accord 00 Jetta VR6 97 Audi A4 1.8t
Mods:
RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!
thanks man. I love the digital camera.
maybe I should get one of those "metric" crescent wrenches from you

Old 10-17-2005, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car: 93 Honda Civic
Mods: Basic Stuff
FinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these partsFinalGear is infamous around these parts
Check!!

TO: preludepowr
Take out of your car and bring it to autozone and they will do a test for
you...

TO: ltlblkcvc
Very nice pics...
Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
BurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapy
Or just turn your headlights on, and crank the key. If your headlights dim, your starter is getting power. if your headlights dim and the starter doesn't crank then the starter is shot.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35S and 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport
Mods: Taillight Overlays and Magnaflow Exhaust
NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalGear
TO: preludepowr
Take out of your car and bring it to autozone and they will do a test for
you...

TO: ltlblkcvc
Very nice pics...
why go through u the trouble of removing and taking it to autozone when you can do it urself.
all you do is hook up a jumper wire on the power wire of the starter and touch it with the switch wire. all ur doing is hooking up a battery to the starter and giving power to the solenoid

Old 10-19-2005, 07:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 96 Civic EX 4-dr / 01 Lexus IS300
Mods: CIVIC: NONE - just loving the 35-40 mpg :-D / LEX:K&N filter, Tsudo Cat-back, clear lights where applicable
civicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problemcivicilian has a Rep problem
Also, make sure all the bolts are tight holding the starter to the tranny. That's what it was on mine, one of the bolts needed about a half turn to be secure, and it started right up.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicilian
Also, make sure all the bolts are tight holding the starter to the tranny. That's what it was on mine, one of the bolts needed about a half turn to be secure, and it started right up.
I take it the starter wasn't engaging all the way and just spinning. Yea that would be a bad thing.

preludepowr Have you found out whats wrong with the car yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement