Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

How much do piston rings cost for labor?

33K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Haunter 
#1 ·
Well, my mom's bf hyrdolocked my engine. We did a compression test and it failed miserably on a dry test. On a wet test however, it had perfect compression numbers. So I know I need new piston rings. Does anyone know how much it'll cost to have new rings put in? Also, who here besides me thinks that more stuff is hurting besides the piston rings? He said that he was going really slowly when he hydrolocked it, but still... dumbass was trying to compress water with a mechanical device... This is after I told him not to drive it in the rain. Would you guys say that the labor for the piston rings would be over a 1000? Over 2000? What else might be broken?

#4 ·
It would involve taking apart the whole engine block and head...

oil pan, then the oil girdle, then the head then the crank stuff, rods....etc, then dissasebling the valvetrain to check the valve seats and valves...

It's a good 10+ hours of work all together, probably spanning over two days or more, at approx $50 dollars (at the lowest) an hour for labor, plus parts...itd be up around $1k.

I'd suggest just taking this on as a rebuild project: take out the motor, take it all (everything) apart, and rebuild it from the bottom up. You would gain so much experience from this. You do need time, and of course a HELMS manual...good torque wrench..tools. Also, an engine to run while your building this one.

This would be a SOHC civic motor?

#8 ·
Thank you guys so much for the help, this was exactly what I was hoping. And yes, somebody besides me is going to pay for this mess that my mom and her bf have gotten me into. I finally moved into a place with a garage, so I'm gonna throw a b20 or b16 in and then take my time to tear apart my old d16z6 motor apart. What I was hoping for was that the cost of replacing the rings would be so high (over 1k) that I may as well just throw in a b16 or something. Thankfully, I have hasport just two hours away so I know that they can handle the swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.