how would u take a window out with out power tools - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
iwinuluz is an unknown quantity at this point
type-r how would u take a window out with out power tools

i need to take out a front and rear window for my car at a junkyard but im not sure how to take it out without crackin or messin up the window its a 94civic 2 door windows
tnx for any kind of advice
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2003, 07:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 96 civic LX
Mods:
Primax has a spectacular aura aboutPrimax has a spectacular aura about
im not too sure, but my dad was takin out the window on an explorer at his shop and in that door there was a spring action metal bar for somthin or other and he cut his finger off when it snapped. Im not sure if hondas have that or not but just watch out. I dont think power tools will be needed.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-30-2003, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
type-r

hondas have no springs in windows
and u are talkin about driver and pass. windows im talkin about front and back there is like a little strip of glue about inch thick and usually u need a tool to take the window out it's like a sharp knife that moves fast as hell to the right and left it air tool
but at a junkyard there is no air tool and i need to get the shit out and i know u can do it b/c once i seen 2 dudes take out back corner window out of a prelude but i didnt pay attention so i would like to know how is this possible and wat tools to use
Old 01-30-2003, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car:
Mods:
deadbirdy03 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have one of those things that uses a portable air supply

with out tools though i would prolly pry it out but i dont know if i would pry around glass

just get one of those little air tanks and use the tool
they dont use much air

I LOVE CHERYL
Old 01-30-2003, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
type-r

hondas have no springs in windows
and u are talkin about driver and pass. windows im talkin about front and back there is like a little strip of glue about inch thick and usually u need a tool to take the window out it's like a sharp knife that moves fast as hell to the right and left it air tool
but at a junkyard there is no air tool and i need to get the shit out and i know u can do it b/c once i seen 2 dudes take out back corner window out of a prelude but i didnt pay attention so i would like to know how is this possible and wat tools to use
Old 01-30-2003, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: '94 Civic VTi Hatch
Mods:
santiago is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll try to help...

Here are some exploded views of these windshields:
front

another front

rear

The front has glue and plastic clips on the glue. You have to use something (screwdriver?) to pry off the clips and then take out the glass carefully. As far for the rear I don't know , maybe the pics will help.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
thx but can u tell me where u got those pix from cuz its kinda messy and i cant see the shit good enought i knwo that the back one has the plastic things at the top but i dont knwo how had it is and wat tools to use
Old 01-31-2003, 10:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 1992 Honda Prelude Si
Mods: 2002 Acura NSX Imola orange pearl paint, shaved everything, wings west big mouth kit, 17" 5zigen rims, 5zigen exhaust, dc ceramic header, akimoto cold air intake, tokico struts with nuespeed sport springs, veilside carbon fiber hood, apr gtll sp
Mitchb71 is an unknown quantity at this point
im an autobody tech..... you won't get them out at the junkyard. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. Also even if you had a huge compressor and the right tools... (which yes they do use a lot of air to make them work correctly) I still wouldn't recommend ever getting a windshield from a junkyard cause you can't get all the urethane off the glass and will never get it to seal up correctly when re installing it. Which then leads to water damage and wind noise.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: '94 Civic VTi Hatch
Mods:
santiago is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by iwinuluz
thx but can u tell me where u got those pix from cuz its kinda messy and i cant see the shit good enought i knwo that the back one has the plastic things at the top but i dont knwo how had it is and wat tools to use
No problem:
www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 02-01-2003, 11:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 2002 Civic Si
Mods: RIP 1998 Civic Dx Cp :(
1990CRXSI is an unknown quantity at this point
no way in hell your getting that glass out at the junkyard unless you get the ppl that own the yard to mabey get it out
Old 02-01-2003, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
jayrocks is an unknown quantity at this point
There are some tools you could use to cut out the windshield that are non powered . One is a tool called a long knife . It is used for cutting out the urethane along the bottom of the windshield from the interior of the vehicle . It looks like a long metal pipe with a blade at the end . You will also need some cut out wire . It is a triple strand wire that is used with a set of tight wire grips . The grips attatch to the wire at each end and this is used to cut through the urethane . This is what you would use to salvage a windshield that is not broken. Now if you were able to use a pneumatic or an electric cut out knife your mission would be a whole lot easier. But basically you can do it with non powered tools . The hardest part is cutting through the urethane , especialy if the car is old.I know alittle about this topic , i work for a company that makes and distributes automobile glass ,and we also sell the tools used for installation and extracting any auto mobile glass.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
hwo much will those tools cost and where can i get them at and i knwo that i cand do it b/c i've seen people do it befor i know that the front is harder but the back one i have cutted out before but i used a air tool it took about 20 seconds
Old 02-01-2003, 08:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 1992 Honda Prelude Si
Mods: 2002 Acura NSX Imola orange pearl paint, shaved everything, wings west big mouth kit, 17" 5zigen rims, 5zigen exhaust, dc ceramic header, akimoto cold air intake, tokico struts with nuespeed sport springs, veilside carbon fiber hood, apr gtll sp
Mitchb71 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you do it that way you better fucking pack a lunch and bring some buddies. Cause you sure as hell aren't gonna get it. Been There Done That
Sponsored Links
Advertisement