Lost all keys to 2005 Honda Civic, Dealer wants WAY too much...any suggestions? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
beeyalen is on a distinguished road
Lost all keys to 2005 Honda Civic, Dealer wants WAY too much...any suggestions?

Hi, I lost all of the keys to my 2005 Honda Civic. I called all of the dealers in my area (brooklyn, ny) and they said the only option I have is to tow the car to the dealership, pay $65 for a replacement key and pay a $100 programming charge. $165 seems way too steep to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't care about having a fob, just want to be able to get into my car and start it. Thanks!

Last edited by beeyalen; 11-14-2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: mistake
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 1992 Honda Accord EX-R ; 2008 Acura TSX A Spec - Navi
Mods: Accord : 99 H22A motor swap (stock, AEM CAI, Headers), Alpine 7909 Competition Head unit, Alpine Type X Speakers and Woofer, Alpine MRV- F540 AMP, Philips 6000k Low Beam Xenon Kit --- TSX : Injen CAI, 3000k HID Fogs
mujtaba is on a distinguished road
Ouch, sorry to hear that dude. How did you manage to lose all the keys?

Regardless, I would purchase the keys from either the dealership or ebay (some OEM's are cheap out there) and find out how to program it yourself. The only issue you may run into is the immobilizer, that is hard to do unless you know someone at a shop who's got the tools for that.

Without the immobilizer in the keys set up, you wont be able to start your car.

I purchased a set of 07 TL Type S keys for my 08' TSX (wanted the switchblade key). I was given instructions from the company on how to program it myself (have all buttons responding etc...). Paid $10 CAD to a local locksmith to have my immobilizers set up.

For instructions I would google them up, or contact heeltoeautomotive.com and ask them for a set of instructions (may be posted on their site too).

Good luck!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 2000 db8 and 2011 toyota sienna
Mods: jdm bolts and nuts. spoon washer fluid. mugen dome light bulbs.
soldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeyalen View Post
Hi, I lost all of the keys to my 2005 Honda Civic. I called all of the dealers in my area (brooklyn, ny) and they said the only option I have is to tow the car to the dealership, pay $65 for a replacement key and pay a $100 programming charge. $165 seems way too steep to me. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I don't care about having a fob, just want to be able to get into my car and start it. Thanks!
that sucks bro. especially the labor charge. their charging you pretty much an hour labor for really 5min of actual labor. i used to work for toyota so i know, but i used to only charge 1/2 hour so $50. i'd find out whats the programming process to program the key. at toyota it depended what vehicle it was, like some you'd need toyota's scan tool to program the key and some were just a series of steps, like have key in ignition, open door, close door turn igntion off then back on type of thing. if its just a simple one, like the open/close door way, i'd purchase an after market key and do it your self. if you need the dealers scan tool, your sh!t out of luck unless you know someone at the dealer.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 1998 Civic EJ9 D14A4.
Mods: Magnecor leads,Iridium plugs,one-off Stainless exhaust,Sports cat,K&N panel filter,stainless manifold&down pipe,FSE FPR.
D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?
Sounds like a good deal to me, i don't think you'd get it any cheaper elsewhere.
"**This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.**"

Because learning is fun
Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Nazi Mod

Car: 81 Rabbit 81 Rabbit Pickup 84 Vr6 Rabbit Convertible 97 Accord 00 Jetta VR6 97 Audi A4 1.8t
Mods:
RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!RedWabbit Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D14A4 Guy View Post
Sounds like a good deal to me, i don't think you'd get it any cheaper elsewhere.
165 bucks to drive my car. I'd pay it, but hey I like being able to drive a car I still have to pay my payments on.

but yeah you will have to figure out how to program it, that immobilizer is a m'fucker

it's better to lease in this situation than it is to own

Old 11-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
beeyalen is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the info guys. mujtaba, are you saying I can buy a key on ebay, use instructions from heeltoe to program it, and get a locksmith to cut the key and set up the immobilizers? and that's IT? they can cut a key right from the car?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Car: 07 STi - 98 Civic
Mods: V-TECH T-Shirt
ProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problemProspeedCTR has a Rep problem
If you lost ALL KEYS then Honda is the only one that can do it for you. The ECM/PCM will require a password from Honda to access the immobilizer with the HDS (Honda Diagnostic System). Also this password changes each day.

You can call up a dealership and get the "Brake Code" (Good for 1 start only) that you enter in with the parking brake (in most cases) so you can drive the car with an unprogrammed key to the dealership. That way it will save you on a tow bill.

BTW This brake code changes each time you use it so even with knowing one code you still couldn't use it every day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement