No Radiator Cooling Fan?? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 1993 Del Sol Si
Mods:
shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?
Question No Radiator Cooling Fan??

Okay, I have an issue with my cooling fan on the radiator. I have a 1993 Del Sol Si with the D16Z6 motor. It is a manual transmission and does not have A/C (from the factory.) I have changed out all the sensors connected to the cooling system. There are three of them. I have replaced the radiator and cap. I have replaced all of the hoses and hose clamps. I checked the cooling fan by running 12volt current through it and it spins. When I hooked everything up to the motor and got the engine up to temperature....nothing. I waited a good 10 minutes. Nothing. No fan at all. I swapped the relay for the cooling fan for the defroster relay and that didn't help. I hear what sounds like a switch clicking and the motors slows a bit....but the fan just stays still.

Any ideas?

I am stuck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?shailoche you're still here?
Ohh, I almost forgot. I have a CEL...I don't know what code. I have to have that checked. But I think that the CEL is possibly related to the no-fan condition.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Car: 1996 ej coupe/1998 ls coupe
Mods: vtec, hp/liter, and a paul walker t-shirt
Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailoche View Post
Okay, I have an issue with my cooling fan on the radiator. I have a 1993 Del Sol Si with the D16Z6 motor. It is a manual transmission and does not have A/C (from the factory.) I have changed out all the sensors connected to the cooling system. There are three of them. I have replaced the radiator and cap. I have replaced all of the hoses and hose clamps. I checked the cooling fan by running 12volt current through it and it spins. When I hooked everything up to the motor and got the engine up to temperature....nothing. I waited a good 10 minutes. Nothing. No fan at all. I swapped the relay for the cooling fan for the defroster relay and that didn't help. I hear what sounds like a switch clicking and the motors slows a bit....but the fan just stays still.

Any ideas?

I am stuck
on my old cavalier the fan never ran ever until i blew my water pump and the coolant temp skyrocketed. did you check your thermostat?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU97GS-R View Post
on my old cavalier the fan never ran ever until i blew my water pump and the coolant temp skyrocketed. did you check your thermostat?
I replaced the thermostat too. All with Honda OEM parts. Could the waterpump prevent the cooling fan from coming on?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!Darkness Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shailoche View Post
I replaced the thermostat too. All with Honda OEM parts. Could the waterpump prevent the cooling fan from coming on?
no. the fan should be temp activated. maybe your car isn't getting hot enough to activate the fan. like i said my cavy never ran the fan at all until i blew the water pump and the coolant temps skyrocketed
Old 04-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
It seems to be getting plenty hot enough. The radiator fluid I spilled on the engine started to evaporate and steam off. The coolant temperature gauge shows that it is very hot....not all the way to the highest mark on the gauge but still way hot. I even ran around the block and it never came on.

The other thing that is happening is the CEL. I think it is code 6 which is the temperature switch. But I just replaced that too....so, I am at a loss. Is it time to go to the dealer?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Darth Chinko

damn man your shit is fucked up. don't you dare overheat an aluminum head
Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
I know...totally possible to crack the head or even the block if it is overheated. I just can't figure it out. I thought if I replaced the relays and the temperature sender, fan switch, etc that it would all be okay. I am wondering if there is a short or some sort of electrical problem in the harness that is keeping the sender from doing its job. It doesn't seem to be relay related since I have switched them out for known good parts. Even still, if it was a relay I wouldn't get a CEL. The CEL is telling me that the sender is bad...but it is new...maybe I got a bad one...I am thinking the only way to know for sure is to take it to a dealer and have them do a diagnostic. I just don't want to spend the money on their labor and parts. Then again if they tell me what is wrong then I can buy the parts and have them put them in. SHIT!

I don't want to overheat the thing and ruin my entire engine. Could it be the engine harness?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
My other thought is that the ECU is bad. Could a bad ECU cause the temperature sender to malfunction in this way? I mean every other part of my engine is working fine. It turns over, runs, sounds normal. I just can't get the damned cooling fan to start.

Is it possible that even though the fan moves when direct current is applied that the fan is bad? I don't think so since I still have the CEL. Any ideas?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
Well I sucked it up and took the damn car to the dealer. They were pretty cool about it and didn't charge me to check the codes and run a couple of diagnostics. At first glance the dealer said the cooling system appeared to be operating ok. He didn't have time to watch the fan turn on but he said the codes stored in the ECU weren't related to the cooling system.

Turns out the ECU was throwing a code for the oxygen sensor. He was going to let the engine run and see if the fan ever came on.

HE said on these motors that the fan does not necessarily cycle on if the engine never reaches a high enough temperature. Is that actually true? Can the engine run for extended periods of time without cycling the cooling fan? Is the system that efficient?

I had not considered that the fan might not be coming on due to the fact that the motor was running cool enough without it. I mean the temperature gauge never went much beyond the middle marker. I thought that was more than hot enough to turn the fan on but maybe it isn't. Does anyone know?

Also, can the fan physically work and still not cycle on? I checked the fan by connecting a 12 volt source to it and the blades started turning. The mechanic at Honda said that sometimes the fans will run with direct current but not off of the current the motor is producing. Sounds fishy to me...what do you guys think?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?
If your needle never goes past half way, you don't have a problem. The fan should turn on when it reaches the temp of like 180-200deg IIRC.

There is a sensor that turns it on, did you replace that too?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
Yes, I replaced all 3 of the sensors related to the cooling system. One sends the temperature to the gauge cluster, one to the cooling fan, and another one on the engine block that I have no idea what it does. They are all new.

The fan never comes on, at least not when I am watching the engine. When I drove it to the dealership the needle never went past the middle of the gauge and the car drove fine. Maybe I am just crazy, but I thought the damn thing cycled on and off. But maybe I am not reaching high enough temps on the engine to see it work. I am just worried that I'll be running along and then WHAM my shit breaks and I have a cracked head or block.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?NegroDamus you're still here?
Just watch the temp gauge. Get on the highway or find a good hill and use 4th or 5th and put some load on it for a while. If the temp needle never goes above half way you are just fine.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Mods:
I drove to the dealer which is 15 miles of interstate driving up and down hills. I was in 4th and 5th the whole way at 75mph. The needle never moved from middle of the gauge.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 05 Cobb stage2 wrx
Mods:
solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?solman Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
my 92 cx is the same way. My temp is normal so I dont worry about it. Ive been driving it like this since last october.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement