Rattling noise when i stop - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2004, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 98 Honda Civic ex
Mods:
snozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep troposphere
Rattling noise when i stop

this rattling gets on my nerves. its happening more since i've lowered it. every time i slow down for a stop light or stop sign, theres a rattling sound coming from the back of the car (the trunk or something). it might be the exhaust hitting the rear bumper or something but it hasnt done that before. would the new shocks and springs cause a rattling or cause the exhaust to rattle? if it is the exhaust how should i fix this. i try to see what it is but it stops rattling after i stop for a few seconds.

Weezer- Rivers' famous sonic blue strat '94-'97

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Mods:
snozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep tropospheresnozepp147 In the rep troposphere
...and i just got another check engine light while drivin around a few minutes ago. defective catalyst system. i had that for 2 week after i installed my high flow cat but then it went away...not its back with the rattling

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2004, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 95 ex coupe
Mods: crome 18's, ractive mufflers, lambo doors, electronic supercharger, tire flys! thats the hot shit
NjSolGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNjSolGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNjSolGirl has a spectacular aura about
dont worry about that just erase it and it will be fine, it does that with a high flow cat
Old 09-28-2004, 06:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
melayanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Does your exhaust go over the rear control arm? If it does it may hit the control arm if its not bent right when you lower the car. I have also seen exhaust that the back of the muffler hits the sway bar mounts if you have a sway bar on the car. Also make sure and get under the car and tap on the cat with a blunt object to make sure the cat isnt broken apart in there. If you have emissions testing in your state I would worry about the check engine light. Erasing isnt gonna fix the problem, if there is a problem, the light will come back anyways. Trust me unless you are doing some heavy road racing, a high flow cat will hardly do anything for you.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 95 ex coupe
Mods: crome 18's, ractive mufflers, lambo doors, electronic supercharger, tire flys! thats the hot shit
NjSolGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNjSolGirl has a spectacular aura aboutNjSolGirl has a spectacular aura about
the only way to "fix" the problem is to put the stock cat back on, the high-flow cat is always gonna have a check engine light
Old 09-28-2004, 06:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melayanton
Does your exhaust go over the rear control arm? If it does it may hit the control arm if its not bent right when you lower the car. I have also seen exhaust that the back of the muffler hits the sway bar mounts if you have a sway bar on the car. Also make sure and get under the car and tap on the cat with a blunt object to make sure the cat isnt broken apart in there. If you have emissions testing in your state I would worry about the check engine light. Erasing isnt gonna fix the problem, if there is a problem, the light will come back anyways. Trust me unless you are doing some heavy road racing, a high flow cat will hardly do anything for you.
arite, i'll try all that. it might be the control arm. i need to get under there and check tho. what should i do if it is the control arm?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
If its hitting the control arm youll either have to raise it a bit or get the rear section of the of the exhaust ( the part that connects to the muffler ) and take it to a good muffler and have them bend a new section. Make sure they have a roll on lift so the weight of the car will keep the control arm in the position its in when you are driving. If its the cat rattling put the stocker back on. In most of the dyno test I have seen, the car actually lost horsepower with some of these aftermarket so-called hi flow cats.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Mods:
Quote:
Originally Posted by melayanton
If its hitting the control arm youll either have to raise it a bit or get the rear section of the of the exhaust ( the part that connects to the muffler ) and take it to a good muffler and have them bend a new section. Make sure they have a roll on lift so the weight of the car will keep the control arm in the position its in when you are driving. If its the cat rattling put the stocker back on. In most of the dyno test I have seen, the car actually lost horsepower with some of these aftermarket so-called hi flow cats.
arite, i checked the control arm and its clear. so i might just replace the cat with the aftermarket one..since its givin my so many problems. thanks for the help

Old 09-29-2004, 03:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Mods:
i found out that its the exhaust hitting the chassis above the control arm. my friend told my i need to get a rubber bump stop and some adhesive to make it stay on and stop the bumping. does anyone know where i can get the rubber and adhesive?

Old 09-29-2004, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Well at least i steered you in the right direction. Glad you found it. Just remember you should only use the rubber as a temporary fix, because it may still transmit some sound into the passenger compartment. I say just do it right and take it to a good muffler shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement