timing belt or bearing? what's this noise? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 92 Civic hatch
Mods: mad turbo boost
projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
timing belt or bearing? what's this noise?

Ok, so maybe a week ago, this weird noise just started coming from the engine bay. If you have the hood popped and you're looking at the engine bay, it's coming from the right side of the engine. It's this really high pitched whining noise, almost like a supercharger. The noise gets higher pitched as rpms increase, even when not in gear and just reving it. I was thinking that I just need a new timing belt, but a buddy told me that maybe I spun a bearing or something, I'm really not sure. Do any of you guys possibly know what this sound might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: 2006 wrx wagon
Mods:
gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?gurusan you're still here?
check the condition of all the belts.

Teal Civic Sold: 08/31/2006
Green Integra Wrecked: 07/13/2011
FOLD FOR SHO! TEAM 54075
folding@home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2006, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?projecthatch92 Why haven't you checked into rep rehab yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurusan
check the condition of all the belts.
Do you think that there is at all any possibility that it could be a bearing, maybe meaning me dishing out some serious cash to get fixed?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Car: 2008 Infiniti G35S and 2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport
Mods: Taillight Overlays and Magnaflow Exhaust
NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?NationsMostWanted you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by projecthatch92
Do you think that there is at all any possibility that it could be a bearing, maybe meaning me dishing out some serious cash to get fixed?
it could be a possibility of anything over there bearing or belts...ull be putting cash out regardless so if u dont knoe wat ur doing i suggest taking it to a shop?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

well, i'm just going to look at the belts and then get my buddies that work at a shop look at them as well
Old 02-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: 1998 Civic LX
Mods: Cosmetic
brady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep tropospherebrady33 In the rep troposphere
I see you're in Chicago. My car will sometimes do the same thing when the weather is consistently below 40 degrees or so. It's been an off and on thing all winter, but it doesn't really last more than 3 or 4 seconds. I'm pretty sure mine is the timing belt. I sprayed some dressing on the other belt and it didn't help. I can't quite get the can to spray on the timing belt.

Will yours do this regardless of the temp and for longer periods of time? Or is this just a short-duration thing like mine?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 97 EJ8 / 06 DC5-S
Mods:
.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!
how many miles do you have on your t-belt? It may be that.

A priest is rushing to my side.. Begins to read me my last rights
Father you're too late, my faith is weak.. So won't you save your half-hearted speech

A man bends down and says,
"Son we're gonna get through this one take my hand and let us pray."
I scream, "Please get the fuck away."

Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
jon

Car: 2007 f150 xlt lariat
Mods: Toolbox
jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?
check your power steering resivore, if you have no fluid in there it will sound like a supercharger, bearing pully noises are alot more of a grinding and t belt noise i have never heard sounding like a blower
Old 02-28-2006, 04:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFK_SI_EG
check your power steering resivore, if you have no fluid in there it will sound like a supercharger, bearing pully noises are alot more of a grinding and t belt noise i have never heard sounding like a blower
i do not have power steering, so i don't think that's the problem.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady33
I see you're in Chicago. My car will sometimes do the same thing when the weather is consistently below 40 degrees or so. It's been an off and on thing all winter, but it doesn't really last more than 3 or 4 seconds. I'm pretty sure mine is the timing belt. I sprayed some dressing on the other belt and it didn't help. I can't quite get the can to spray on the timing belt.

Will yours do this regardless of the temp and for longer periods of time? Or is this just a short-duration thing like mine?
yea, my car started doing this when it was getting super freezing here in chicago, except it goes on forever, its a consistent sound that just get's quieter as the car warms up.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 93 civic eg8.
Mods: full of dust, rebuilding...20%
commador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whorecommador is a rep whore
alternator bearing? Mine sounded blowerish when it died.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by commador
i think this could be a possibility cuz i was looking around the engine bay and noticed that the sound was coming directly from that area
Old 02-28-2006, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
jon

jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by commador
they will make that noise too, forgot about those, even tho i did an alternator yesterday cause it was making that noise
Old 02-28-2006, 09:40 PM   #14 (permalink)
Cypher Wave

Car: 97 EJ8 / 06 DC5-S
Mods:
.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!.TheCriMson[K20] Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFK_SI_EG
they will make that noise too, forgot about those, even tho i did an alternator yesterday cause it was making that noise
lmao you gansta! :w00t

A priest is rushing to my side.. Begins to read me my last rights
Father you're too late, my faith is weak.. So won't you save your half-hearted speech

A man bends down and says,
"Son we're gonna get through this one take my hand and let us pray."
I scream, "Please get the fuck away."

Old 02-28-2006, 09:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnBoostD16
lmao you gansta! :w00t
i was tired, hard day at work changing alternators
Sponsored Links
Advertisement