Unstable Steering How to Fix? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 1992 Honda Civic
Mods: None
buzlink is an unknown quantity at this point
tech wrench Unstable Steering How to Fix?

I have been combating a problem for sometime, of my steering wheel being very loose and wiggly feeling. As of recently my car has become very unstable while driving from a take off as well when driving on the highway with windy conditions. When I take off the car bounces from left to right, very sporadically and can be even worse when road conditions are bumpy. To correct this I have to pay special attention to my steering and correct this before I jump into another lane. This is very frustrating as my steering wheel isn't as accurate as it use to be.

What do I need to replace/fix to get rid of this problem?
92 Civic Sedan DX
9-21-03; 10:23
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 93 Del Sol SI
Mods: Come and find out
nbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problem
it could be a bad rackopion becuase it cause the steering wheel to move alot with very little responce
Old 11-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
BurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapyBurntRubber87 needs rep therapy
Thats sounds like a worn out tie rod end..jack up your car, so that the wheel is off the ground then grab the wheel and tire and try pull/push on it like you're tryin to turn it..if there is alot of play, you should replace the tie rod ends.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntRubber87
Thats sounds like a worn out tie rod end..jack up your car, so that the wheel is off the ground then grab the wheel and tire and try pull/push on it like you're tryin to turn it..if there is alot of play, you should replace the tie rod ends.
There is allot of play when trying to pull on the wheel back and forth.
Are there any right ups and or pictures describing how to replace tie rods?

Where is the best place to get new tie rods.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 88 honda prelude 2.0si 4ws
Mods: its got 4 wheel steer 134ft lbs of torque, what do i need?
90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem
burntrubber is right i had a few cars like that, there should be something in the stickies on it, fix it asap before u wreck it, its just tierod ends, i hope anyways, they are easier to replace than a rack, but u tested it the right way so it must be
68 ford f250 for sale
87 ford mustang lx 5.0 5 speed as of 3-25-12

JDM HEAD SLUDGE BELOW

TECH
Old 11-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
jon

Car: 2007 f150 xlt lariat
Mods: Toolbox
jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?
those are a thing where if you dont know how to replace them, leave it to a shop and have it aligned
Old 11-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 1994 integra ls
Mods: b16 pistions, b20 cams, double layer head gasket,milled head
89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life89civic4door You need a life
those are a thing where if you dont know how to replace them, leave it to a shop and have it aligned

yep.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

What about Rack Guide Adjustment?
P 17-5 in the Service Manual.

Could this help out, as well?
Old 11-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem90lxcivicnocat has a Rep problem
let a shop do it, its no joke if u cannot control ur car, since u would have a shop fix it they would check it all out , they are going to charge u for looking at it no matter.
68 ford f250 for sale

JDM HEAD SLUDGE BELOW

TECH
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: 93 Del Sol SI
Mods: Come and find out
nbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problemnbboy7 has a Rep problem
First remove this nut:

Nut loosened:

Then use a fork or tie rod puller to separate the ball joint. This should be really easy because if you're replacing it your ball joint is probably already bad. I found that hitting the threads of the joint from the bottom with a sledge hammer works very nicely

Then the tie rod end just unscrews right off. Very Easy.

Pics of old vs. new tie rod end:

Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Thanks for the pics,
Working on the car right now.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzlink
I have been combating a problem for sometime, of my steering wheel being very loose and wiggly feeling. As of recently my car has become very unstable while driving from a take off as well when driving on the highway with windy conditions. When I take off the car bounces from left to right, very sporadically and can be even worse when road conditions are bumpy. To correct this I have to pay special attention to my steering and correct this before I jump into another lane. This is very frustrating as my steering wheel isn't as accurate as it use to be.

What do I need to replace/fix to get rid of this problem?
92 Civic Sedan DX
well you are from Kansas so the windy conditions would probably be tornados...hence the bad steering in the windy weather
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!Thorgs Bow down before me!
is this a pretty good price for these parts?

Parts
Old 11-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbboy7
First remove this nut:

Nut loosened:

Then use a fork or tie rod puller to separate the ball joint. This should be really easy because if you're replacing it your ball joint is probably already bad. I found that hitting the threads of the joint from the bottom with a sledge hammer works very nicely

Then the tie rod end just unscrews right off. Very Easy.

Pics of old vs. new tie rod end:

good post, lol, urs was bent too? so how much did those cost?? im thinkn i need to replace mine sooner or later
68 ford f250 for sale

JDM HEAD SLUDGE BELOW

TECH
Old 11-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

ok so now the important thing how do u know how far to screw the new one on???do u mark the tread before removing the old tie rod??
68 ford f250 for sale

JDM HEAD SLUDGE BELOW

TECH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement