weatherstripping how do i replace it??? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2002, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: building bitch/web designer/programmer/DBA/anything and everything...
Mods: 92 Civic LX 4dr... focuz intake, Tsudo catback exhaust, SI wheels, euro clear corners, half red half white tails and after market body parts...
hammer is an unknown quantity at this point
weatherstripping how do i replace it???

i don't know if this falls under the tech forum but anyway...

my 92 civic LX is just getting old... my weather stripping in the front windows are starting to slide and bunch up... i've used different sprays (no adhesives)... but i'm just gonna replace them...

I need to know how much of a pain it is to replace... do i need to take the door panel off.... (i've always tried getting that off and have yet to succeed...)

i hate wind noise at 80... so i wanna fix this soon...

-Henry

i'm looking for shops... any shops in the area 60 miles away is the limit for now... all i need is a name and there number...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2002, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 1998 Civic EX: black on black
Mods:
taz77 is an unknown quantity at this point
take off any and all screws on the door and pry the panel out away from the door starting from the bottom and working your way up. i'm not certain about 5th gen civics, but if you have a tweeter mounted by the mirror, you'll need to remove that first by prying it up. after you get the panel loose, lift the panel straight up.

you'll need to remove the platic that covers the door to be able to remove the window. there are two screws holding the window to the bracket. once the window is off, you should be able to figure out how to replace the strip.

1998 Honda CBR 600F4: black (of course)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-26-2002, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Mods: 92 Civic LX 4dr... focuz intake, Tsudo catback exhaust, SI wheels, euro clear corners, half red half white tails and after market body parts...
so maybe i should try this on a sunny weekend???... j/k... this seems like a considerable amount of work... 3 hours or so???

-Henry

i'm looking for shops... any shops in the area 60 miles away is the limit for now... all i need is a name and there number...
Old 06-26-2002, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by hammer
... this seems like a considerable amount of work... 3 hours or so???

-Henry
nah... not that long. maybe 1 1/2 hours if it's your first time taking apart your car and are afraid of messing something up. once you do one side, the other should only take about 40 minutes. the only tools you'll definately need is a phillips screwdriver, maybe flat tip, 10mm socket and ratchet.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1992 BMW 325is
Mods:
kinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddess
naw I dont think you need to go through all that trouble from what I recall from my bros car all you need to do is roll down the window all the way and pull down the upper portion of weatherstripping intil its down to the window..... them a lil tug will get the weatherstripping out ...... but I would use silicone and spray quite a few down there it helps wonders. this is the stuff glass shops use
Old 06-26-2002, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

while i'm askin... why do the window's stick everyonce in a while... like if it's dry it'll go down a bit then i have to go up a notch and them com back down... sometimes they work fine after the rain or after i wash the car...

any clue to this???

-Henry

Old 06-26-2002, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1992 BMW 325is
Mods:
kinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddess
give some silicone a try it helps a lot if not then take the next step ..... also roll down your windows and look at where the window rides and see if the weather ship has slipped out of place at all
Old 06-27-2002, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 92 civic 4 doe
Mods:
1slo4dr is an unknown quantity at this point
after i put solar gard tint on my car i started having the roll down stop roll up then roll down syndrome ... i think its time to just buy some lx or ex doors and add power windows
92 civic 4dr dx carbon fiber hood, stock intake, apex n1 exhaust,tokiko blues Skunk2 coil overs, Skunk 2 shifter and knob, rollin on 17" adr fuel, dc sports upper front and rear strut bars, and rear lower.... 00 gs-r frnt/rear brakes w/ss lines, 8 speaker system With sony mobile es interior powerd by a sony amp and kicker s12L7's powered by a kicker amp, 2 car batteries.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by kinghawk
naw I dont think you need to go through all that trouble from what I recall from my bros car all you need to do is roll down the window all the way and pull down the upper portion of weatherstripping intil its down to the window..... them a lil tug will get the weatherstripping out ...... but I would use silicone and spray quite a few down there it helps wonders. this is the stuff glass shops use
now how would you get the new one on? the weatherstriping goes all the way down to the bottom of the door panel.

Old 06-27-2002, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car: '92 Civic VX
Mods: see sig
Relic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not positive if you are talking about the rubber stripping that seals between the door and the chassis or the rubber that the window slides in.
If you are talking about the rubber that the window slides in, it's really easy to pull out the window, two bolts at the bottom with the inner panel off. Pull out the window with your hands, pull out the stripping, push in the new stuff with your fingers, top rear first, cause it has the sharpest angles to get right then next to the mirror, push the rest to fit. Put back in the window through tilting it front to back and rolling it into place. You’re in business. Took me about 45 minutes to do the first one, and less than 20 minutes to do the second one.
My windows amazingly easy to move now.
Suspension Techniques sway bar set
Cusco/Neuspeed/TypeR strut bars
JimFab Traction Bars
'00 SI rims w/ 205/50R15 Azenis
CAI, Catless 2.5" piping to twin loop tail back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement