what are the best brake pads? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2002, 01:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 95 civic ex
Mods:
whitecivicR is an unknown quantity at this point
what are the best brake pads?

Hey I need everyone's opinoins on which brake pads are the best. I'm looking to buy some soon. I'm doing a complete brake upgrade with gsr calipers. I have axxis metal masters brake pads in my sig, they work really good but only thing is that it wore out too quick and there was a lot of brake dust ( I hate having to keep on cleaning my rims )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2002, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: '98 CiViC Coupe (EJ7)
Mods: '99 CiViC Si (B16A2)
BlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peons
I like Raybestos PGP, aka PG Plus, aka PG+ pads the best --- been using them for years with no problems. Whatever your decision is, remember that you really do get what you pay when you buy brake parts...
    down." - Paul Brink, ASU State Press
  • DISCLAIMER Any resemblance between the views expressed above and those of
    the owners and operators of this system is purely coincidental. Any resemblance
    between these views and my own are non-deterministic. The existence of BDC
    is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence of anyone to hold them
    is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise in the
    second order coefficient.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2002, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1995 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Mods: Sony Xplod MEX-5DI | Pioneer 6½" TS-A1667 all around | Rockford Fosgate Punch 360.2 mono amp | Rockford Fosgate Punch 500x 4-channel amp | Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" HE² in a ported Q box | Clear corners w/ blue lights | EBC "Greenstuf
151 Proof is an unknown quantity at this point
EBC Greenstuff for street use. Redstuff for track use.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Iron Monk

Car:
Mods:
HybridJDMHonda is on a distinguished road
EBC Greenstuff.

My friend's shop
Old 06-16-2002, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
SH Silver

Mods:
thanks for the reply guys

so how much do these brake pads go for? (EBC greenstuff, AEM, or raybestos PGP) Any websites selling these pads for cheap?
Old 06-16-2002, 01:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Digital Racer

Car: b16a2 powered eg ferio
Mods:
importsolja is an unknown quantity at this point
ebc....greenstuff...best pads i ever had
Old 06-16-2002, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 99 Cx Hatch
Mods:
chase13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just put VGX pads (from summit) on my car to replace the worn to shit stock ones, i'm really happy with them so far. They cost around 36$ plus their handling fee.

WTB: B18B1 99-01 Send me a PM if you have one with papers.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

BlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peonsBlackDeuceCoupe Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
Originally posted by whitecivicR

... how much do these brake pads go for? Any websites selling these pads for cheap?
Woo Hoo! Did you ask the right guy or what???

I recently starting using Rock Auto. These guys are the best! They can get parts for older cars that nobody will even bother looking for. The web interface is awesome and their prices are V good too. I bought a headlight switch, last week, that was a special order item in local stores. They wanted 55-65 bones depending on the store. PartsAmerica.com wanted 32 bones. I got it at RockAuto.com for 19!

I looked up the price of Raybestos PGP's for my ride on Rock; $18.69 for the front set and $20.97 for the rear. If you want the Quiet Stops up front, they are $35.57.

I've never used EBC's on a car before, but I've used them on plenty of motorcycles. They worked okay, so imagine their auto brakes are okay too.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Quote:
Originally posted by 1 point 6
i got my AEMs from www.landspeedracing.com but i worked there so got mine for free. [code word for 'stole them'? - bdc]
The only problem I see going the AEM/Nissin route is that most CiViC's don't have rear pads, and AEM/Nissan doesn't make rear shoes for CiViC's, including your '91 sedan [looks like it has drums in the back in the pic]. What did you do on the rear???
Old 06-17-2002, 01:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
vnlocs is an unknown quantity at this point
any one heard or ferodo brake pads i heard that they were good.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
SH Silver

Mods:
A lot of votes for EBC greenstuff...I checked it out, seems really good but kinda pricey, the cheapest I could find them online was 58.00. Anyone know a cheaper place?

Blackdeucecoupe...
Thanks for the info man...But I noticed that you kind of contradict yourself; In your first post you wrote "remember that you really do get what you pay when you buy brake parts... " but in your next post you found the Raybestos for a really cheap price IMO. Nonetheless I really appreciate it, I even went to check out the RockAuto.com; I just wanted to point that out.

Also this is kind of off topic (even though I started the thread) but does anyone know the advantages of having disc brakes on all fours wheels. I noticed a lot of ppl doing these and selling kits to do the conversion.

Thanks everyone
Old 06-17-2002, 07:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
I've got AEM pads all of the way around. Happy with them so far. They don't give off nearly as much brake dust as the stock pads.

http://www.aempower.com/brake_pads.htm
Old 06-17-2002, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Quote:
Originally posted by whitecivicR

Blackdeucecoupe...
Thanks for the info man...But I noticed that you kind of contradict yourself; In your first post you wrote "remember that you really do get what you pay when you buy brake parts... " but in your next post you found the Raybestos for a really cheap price IMO. Nonetheless I really appreciate it, I even went to check out the RockAuto.com; I just wanted to point that out.

Also this is kind of off topic (even though I started the thread) but does anyone know the advantages of having disc brakes on all fours wheels. I noticed a lot of ppl doing these and selling kits to do the conversion.

Thanks everyone
Yeah, I should have completed that thought. What I meant was don't get cheap with brakes. Don't go buy $10 per axle pads. If one set is $50 and the other is $25, buy the $50 set, yada yada yada. I didn't mean go find the place that has the most expensive prices on brakes...

Yes, I know the Raybestos are cheaply priced at Rock, but that's just Rock Auto for you. I'll bet they're at least double that price at local stores; maybe more.

As far as rear discs go --- they look cool! There is nothing sh!ttier looking than a CiViC with 17" or 18'" wheels, and that tiny litlle brake drum showing in the back. Other than that, you DON'T WANT powerful brakes in the rear. They will just lock up under hard braking and kill you. Your front brakes do 90% of the braking...
Old 06-17-2002, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Quote:
Originally posted by kommon_sense
I've got AEM pads all of the way around. Happy with them so far.
Your sig says you have a "98 Civic EX Coupe." According to the official AEM web site, they DO NOT make 'rear pads' for your car. Your car has drums in the rear, not pads, right? You're the second guy that has said this. What gives? Is the AEM web site wrong? Does AEM/Nissin make rear 'shoes' for CiViC's now???

Everyone go look at this and tell me if I'm wrong...Can one of you "Got AEM brakes all-around and they work great" guys explain this, please???
Old 06-17-2002, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Car: 98 Civic Ex Coupe
Mods:
kommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapykommon_sense needs rep therapy
read my sig... again...

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Your sig says you have a "98 Civic EX Coupe." According to the official AEM web site, they DO NOT make 'rear pads' for your car. Your car has drums in the rear, not pads, right? You're the second guy that has said this. What gives? Is the AEM web site wrong? Does AEM/Nissin make rear 'shoes' for CiViC's now???

Everyone go look at this and tell me if I'm wrong...Can one of you "Got AEM brakes all-around and they work great" guys explain this, please???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement