CB joint, torn, what do I replace and is it hard. - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Acura - Vehicles > Acura Vehicle Models > Integra Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2002, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 95 Teg
Mods: turbo, and body kit, and a paint job no one has in this world
therumbligteg is an unknown quantity at this point
CB joint, torn, what do I replace and is it hard.

Tore my cb joint, got inder the car and saw greese all over the rim, so I was just wondering how hard is it to replace the assymble?Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2002, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 93 civic dx
Mods:
iLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapy
just get a whole new (rebuilt) axel. less work for you for about the same price.
1993 Civic dx-sold
1991 Galant VR-4 sold
1991 Eclipse gsx-sold
If I two-step your A$$ then you know I'm serious!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Titanium

I heard new is better that rebuilt
Old 07-19-2002, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Mods:
iLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapyiLLeFFeKt CiViC needs rep therapy
Quote:
Originally posted by therumbligteg
I heard new is better that rebuilt
dude rebuilt is just like new. they use new parts for the joints and stuff. there is no point of paying money for the shaft itself if its not broken. i dont know about you but i aint going to honda/acura to pay $400 for axels when i can get both for $100.
and their axels are most likely rebuilt also but they tell you they are new and they rape you with the $$$$$
1993 Civic dx-sold
1991 Galant VR-4 sold
1991 Eclipse gsx-sold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-19-2002, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
1Greyteg is an unknown quantity at this point
You are talking about the Boot that protects the "CV"= Constant Velocity joint. Not CB whatever that is supposed to mean.

And to repair a CV boot, all you need to do is got to our local Acura dealer and get a boot kit, you will need both inner and outer boots/kits. That is IF you are doing this yourself. Like $35.

If this is what you are talking about, then the boot kit is all you need to do it.

I can't for the life of me think why these other guys thought you needed a fully rebuilt axle? The boot kit is what you need 'IF" the boot is torn and the axle is in pretty good shape with a small tear and still has some grease left on the axle.

If you need a mechanic of shop to do it, you must remember to include their going hourly rate. Count on 3 hours "with beer!"

Good luck,

A.

PS oh, and remember NOT to get the half boot kit's and remember TO get the OEM kit since it fits perfectly and is good for quite a long time.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Mods:
Quote:
Originally posted by 1Greyteg
You are talking about the Boot that protects the "CV"= Constant Velocity joint. Not CB whatever that is supposed to mean.

And to repair a CV boot, all you need to do is got to our local Acura dealer and get a boot kit, you will need both inner and outer boots/kits. That is IF you are doing this yourself. Like $35.

I can't for the life of me think why these other guys thought you needed a fully rebuilt axle? The boot kit is what you need 'IF" the boot is torn and the axle is in pretty good shape with a small tear and still has some grease left on the axle.
hey man i hear what youre saying. but in order to change the boot you have to take the axle appart. and thats a pain in the ass. you are better off just getting another axle.
1993 Civic dx-sold
1991 Galant VR-4 sold
1991 Eclipse gsx-sold
Old 07-20-2002, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
Me personally, I'd save the money and spend the $30. to $50. on the OEM boot kit and spend the time doin it. Especially if the joint is NOT damaged.

Whats the goin rate for your way as opposed to mine?

Thanks, I'll stay with my way, and save some $$$! Plus you get to learn more than you ever wanted to about Constant Velocity joints.

A.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Originally posted by 1Greyteg

As much as i would like to just spend 35 dollars, my cv(thats what I ment before) is torne about 95percent, so I am better of just replacing the whole thing.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)
EH2
Iron Monk

Car: '08 VW .:R32
Mods: Stock
EH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problemEH2 has a Rep problem
it is a CV boot, and it cost $12 for a new one. i replaced mine with the help of my uncle.
Old 07-20-2002, 08:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Mods:
well u said the boot kit is $35 dollars and takes about 3 hours or so to change.
i can get a rebuilt axle for $50 and do it in less than one hour.
1993 Civic dx-sold
1991 Galant VR-4 sold
1991 Eclipse gsx-sold
Old 07-20-2002, 08:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
Maybe you are just misunderstanding?

Even if the boot is torn, as long as the CV joint is still greased and is in decent shape and doesn't have too much road dirt /debris in it and or it is Not making a clicking sound, You can replace the Boot's and Not the whole axle.

Although this job is a Pain in the Ass and Dirty as Hell, it is alot cheaper than a whole axle and or having a mechanic do either.

The choice is yours and I agree that Just the axle is an option, don't get me wrong. BUT, in the interest of saving some of your hard earned money possibly for a future mod, you Can Just do the CV Boots: "inner and outer is required for the outer, and inner is all you need for inner damage."

Good luck,

A.

PS, remember that OEM boot kits are the way to go, Don't ask me how I know. And The half boots Suck A55!
Old 07-20-2002, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 91 CRX si
Mods:
mistakool is an unknown quantity at this point
I just tore my outer cv boot too. My first question is, how do you get access to the boot? You have to take the hub off, and Im pretty sure that means you have to get the hub nut off, but I cant for the life of me figure out how. I broke my 2 1/2 foot breaker bar trying to get that crap!

Soo, I just took my car to meineke and they replaced the boot for $85 in under an hour. Wish I could have done it myself but I needed my car back.

91 CRX si zc
Old 07-20-2002, 04:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: blah blah blah
Mods: bone stock, i think
sweet is an unknown quantity at this point
get a rebuilt axle for about $75 and give em your old one as a core swap.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
born2speed is an unknown quantity at this point
go to rxales.com and they give you the entire assembly: inner, outer joints and shaft for $110 when you ship back the core.

1995 GBP Integra GS-R
-------------------------------------
17x7.5 Rota Subzero (white)
Nitto 555 Extreme 205/40R17
ACT Clutch
Toda Chromoly Flywheel
AEM Big Brake Kit (Front and Rear)
Weapon-R Intake
Weapon-R Coilover Sleeves
Koni Yellows (Best purchase ever)
RS*R SS Catback Exhaust (No need for load noise, just pure performance)
Type-R Wing (Straight from Honda of Japan)
Old 07-24-2002, 06:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car: pair of pumas
Mods:
civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!civic1784 Um, 1 million? Damn!
i had pretty much the same post a month ago, and it all depends on the condition of the CV joint.

Its a question of how low you've been riding with the boot torn. Mine was split all the way around, and all the grease had been spun out. By the way, its a special type of grease: molybdenum disulfide grease. If there is any grit in the joint, replacing the boot alone isn't good enough, the halfshaft has to be replaced. Mine cost like $200 or something for parts and labor because i needed the halfshaft replaced. If you are going to do it yourself, get a Chilton Manual for $23. It's all there, and says how to do it. If you want, i could post the pages out of chilton for you. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement