not changing the oil filter at oil change time - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Acura - Vehicles > Acura Vehicle Models > Integra Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2003, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
onorok is an unknown quantity at this point
not changing the oil filter at oil change time

Is it ok to not change the oil filter when you change your oil once. I mean how bad does the oil filter get, I have a farely new engine like 20,000 miles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2003, 04:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car: red 94 integ gsr
Mods:
allmotor_integ is an unknown quantity at this point
if i were u i would change the oil filter mine as well your down there....only time i didn't change the filter was when i first brought my integra ls i didn't know where the filter gee i am dumb....oh well since that day i change the filter everytime i change the oil.....its pointless to do an oil change if u goin to leave the old filter because your just filtering back old oil..and dirt and so on....eventhough if your engine is new.....bottom line is you should but i guess u could do what you like......
1994 Acura Integra H22a ~SOld~ =
2001 Acura Integra Type R #582

future project car:
datsun 510
-sr20det
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car:
Mods: lots of stuff, just ask me
temp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by allmotor_integ
if i were u i would change the oil filter mine as well your down there....only time i didn't change the filter was when i first brought my integra ls i didn't know where the filter gee i am dumb....oh well since that day i change the filter everytime i change the oil.....its pointless to do an oil change if u goin to leave the old filter because your just filtering back old oil..and dirt and so on....eventhough if your engine is new.....bottom line is you should but i guess u could do what you like......
honda recommends the filter be changed every 7500 miles
Old 02-27-2003, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Black Diamond

Car: red 94 integ gsr
Mods:
allmotor_integ is an unknown quantity at this point
oh thanks for the info i gave the poor guy wrong info....i didn't know that.....
1994 Acura Integra H22a ~SOld~ =
2001 Acura Integra Type R #582

future project car:
datsun 510
-sr20det
Old 02-28-2003, 06:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
1Greyteg is an unknown quantity at this point
Change your filter every time you change your oil. 3500 to 5000 miles...

Your car will like you better.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car:
Mods: lots of stuff, just ask me
temp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by 1Greyteg
Change your filter every time you change your oil. 3500 to 5000 miles...

Your car will like you better.

i agree.....i am just saying what honda says
Old 02-28-2003, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car:
Mods:
PM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these partsPM-Performance is infamous around these parts
i couldnt get mine off the si the 1st 2 oil changes, i finally got it off the 3rd time . the car still runs great and there werent any kind of metla shavings or anytihng int he oil or filter, so it is all good, i was changng it like every 2k though to play it safe.

07 Solar Orange 350Z
91 Supra Turbo Targa-
1JZGTE 508WHP and 501tq SOLD
06 Pathfinder

Old 02-28-2003, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car: '98 Integra LS hatch
Mods: See website in sig.
White98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problemWhite98LS has a Rep problem
Yeah definitely do it, it's only a few bucks and not doing it will effectively half-waste the oil change you just did, costing you the same if not more money in the end. Even though I use synthetic, I change my oil and filter every 5k miles, regular oil I did every 3k. Having fresh oil is one of the very best things you can do for your engine, don't skimp just to save a few $$.

allmotor_integ, I couldn't find the filter for the life of me the first time either, I felt really stupid once I did though. Wow, how much you learn in just a couple years....
Latest Auto-X: 1st in class, 24th/83 overall.
Complete mod list and updated race results here:
http://www.freewebs.com/white98ls
- don't forget to sign the guestbook!

Autocrossing for a day is the best $25 you can spend
Old 03-01-2003, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
1Greyteg is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by itr206
i couldnt get mine off the si the 1st 2 oil changes, i finally got it off the 3rd time . the car still runs great and there werent any kind of metla shavings or anytihng int he oil or filter, so it is all good, i was changng it like every 2k though to play it safe.
Did you remember that old trick of putting a bit of oil on the gasket of the new filter before you install it?

I always clean up the filter attachment area and threads, Then I use my finger and slip a bit of new oil over the filter gasket and screw it on hand tight then one quick turn with the wrench to snug it on. I never had it stick yet.

Grandpa taught me well.

Good luck,

A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement