Symptoms of a bad distributor - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Acura - Vehicles > Acura Vehicle Models > Integra Forum

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2002, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
StyleTEG is an unknown quantity at this point
Symptoms of a bad distributor

I think my distributor may be going bad, but before I shell out the cash to replace it I wanted to make sure it was acting up. Here are the symptoms I have

There is a rattling when the engine is cold. From all that I can tell, its coming from the distributor itself. If not the distributor behind it. This rattling/clacking goes away when warm.

My timing mark moves +/- 2 when I check it with a timing gun (did all the proper steps)

I also have a rough idle at times, but that could really be due to something else.

I recently did a 90k tune up, I have brand new wires, distributor cap, and rotor.

Any idea's? Thanks much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2002, 08:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
SpeedxRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Is your motor shaking really bad during idle? That may be a sign of misfiring. Also my dads a mechanic and I saw him check one last time. He took off the cap where it exposed the wheel thing I dunno whats it called and took out a wire with the spark plug attached. He put a metal screwdriver at the end and touched it to the chassis or motor. He spun that wheel thing (sorry dunno what its called) and if it made a spark it was fine. I dunno if this makes sense because it sure doesnt to me haha. Good luck
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-16-2002, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
The motor does kinda shake, not really bad though. The spark plugs are new, I just went out and checked them and there is no sign of any abnormal wear or damage.

I think you are talking about the rotor, which is new. Any idea on how to check for misfire?
Old 02-18-2002, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Noob

Car: student
Mods:
ADDICT2SPEED is an unknown quantity at this point
ya

take your distributer off and check it. is it worn? how bout the roter.

to check for misfire buy a lil tester that you put on the end of the pluge wire and start your car (check all of them) check your spark plugs to,

check your wires for resistence

good luck
Old 02-18-2002, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
Take the whole distributor off? or just the cap?

I have brand new distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs
all less than 200miles on them.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2002, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
Thumbs down thats funny?

well r u shur its electrical?

can you explain in more detail what the problem is?

hope i can help.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
well, I really am not sure its ellectrical.

The problem is on cold startup there is a rattling sound coming from the distributor. If it is not the distributor it is directly behind it (which I guess could really only be the cylidner or part of the intake manifold?)

So basicly, I am trying to fix/figure out what the rattling is. I have herd that distributors that are failing sometimes rattle, so I just want to confirm that it is a bad distributor be for I spend the cash to replace it.

The only other strange symptoms I have with the car is semi rough & fluctuating idle, and the timing mark moves slightly from between 16 and 18.
Old 02-18-2002, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Mods:
Thumbs up think i got it

well i think the sound is comming from the lifters or Rockers. valves mabby.
they arn't getting oil at start up and when they do get a coat of oil they stop making the sound.
Im sure your oil level is fine however your valves may need adjusting. how manny miles are on your car? I think getting your valves adjusted buy a honda machanic should fix it, but ask the machanic for his advise, make sure its someone you can trust and not some guy wanting to do a bunch of bull shitt work for your hard erned cash.

hope this helps

let me know
Old 02-18-2002, 04:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
Thanks for the responses

I just had a 90,000 tune up, so the valves have been adjusted. It was done by the local honda dealership, which is actually quite good (unlike most dealerships I have seen/used).

It would make sense that it could be caused by no oil circulating, but oddly enough it is only one cylinder (if that is where it is coming from) and not all of them?

And it takes quite a while for it to stop. It litteraly stops by the time the engine temp has reached its normal operating mark.It seams if it was oil, that maybe it would stop much sooner? Not sure, thanks again for the response.

btw, I am using 5w30 synth oil, and I pulled for codes and got none.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Mods:
acinteg94 is on a distinguished road
i got the same problem as you i hear the same crackling noise but i don't know the last time the vavles were adjusted. today my car died and so i am guessing it is distributor or coil. i got a lot more miles so i know it was going soon. 193,000 miles, it probably about right for it to die. good luck. i'll let you know tomorrow what is wrong with my car so you can get an idea of what it is.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement