CARS LEAKING GREEN FLUID WHAT DO I DO? HELP ASAP!!!! - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2003, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 1993 Civic Si
Mods: Too many
CRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peons
Question CARS LEAKING GREEN FLUID WHAT DO I DO? HELP ASAP!!!!

I started up my car, and reved it up alittle, turned it off and got out and what do I see? A big puddle of green fluid, I read that it could be coolant fluid. What in the hell do I do about it?!!! I just bought the car too, and had it checked out and the guy said everything was good. Could it have been because it was sitting outside in -5 degree temperatures? What do I do?!!! Help ASAP!
:

93 Si - 13.7@101 all motor/street tires stock head bishes...

2006 Laguna Blue Pearl S2000.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car:
Mods: lots of stuff, just ask me
temp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: CARS LEAKING GREEN FLUID WHAT DO I DO? HELP ASAP!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CGCivicSiT
I started up my car, and reved it up alittle, turned it off and got out and what do I see? A big puddle of green fluid, I read that it could be coolant fluid. What in the hell do I do about it?!!! I just bought the car too, and had it checked out and the guy said everything was good. Could it have been because it was sitting outside in -5 degree temperatures? What do I do?!!! Help ASAP!
:

first of all find the source of the leak and then go from there
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 98 Civic CX
Mods: B18C1, AEM CAI, DC 4-2-1, Custom Exhaust, 16x6's, some random dressings here and there.
scottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to behold
It has to be antifreeze. If it isn't mixed in the right proportions it can hurt your engine - either by not cooling it adequately or freezing and bursting rubber hoses which results in leakage.
Be careful around it - it's a poison. Find the leak, and either replace the hose, tighten the clamp or do what you have to do to keep the loop closed.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: trying to sell it
Mods:
CroSs is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by njn63
try to locate where it's coming from. Check hoses, radiator, water pump, up and down the engine block, etc. Once you figure out where it's coming from you can figure out what needs to be replaced.
yup, i would search hard around the radiator and radiator hoses and such first as it appears to be coolant since it is green. One of your hoses might of even bursted like said before. Also check your radiator fluid to see how much there is, and check all of your fluids when youre at it to see if any are low.

If there was a huge puddle under your car that means that your engine bay should of been wet, if it is you probably be able to spot where the leak is if you try to find where it is dripping from, if it leaked that bad when you revved it up it should atleast be dripping when its idle.

you just have to play detective kinda and find out where the source of the problem is.

Also how is the temp in your car? Normal, high? Is it steaming or smoking unusually and do you smell a burning hot smell like coolant burning? If it is the coolant you want to make sure you keep filling it to its proper level until you can get it fixed so it dosent burn up the radiator or engine.

CroSs
Old 01-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dark Wind

CRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peonsCRVTEC0WNZJ00 Hello down there miniscule peons
It wasn't necessarily a huge puddle, but like a foot from one side to the other, and it was dripping, and I don't think a hose burst. I think just something isn't tightened enough or something. But I'm gonna go try to find the damn leak, but its like -5degrees outside, and my wrecked civic is sitting in the garage, and it'll be a real bitch to do when my mom gets home and her prelude is sittin in the driveway. grrr.....Its kinda hard to see in there too with the sun out, but I'll do my best guys, thanks alot, any other thoughts? I'd pry take it to the dealer, they'll figure it out quicker than me. How much do you think the sharks (car dealers) will charge to look at and fix that?

Old 01-23-2003, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dark Wind

I looked, all hoses and clamps were tight, but the spot where I saw the green stuff was the top left hand of the radiator. like the side of it and the top piece where it has the little ] [ thingies except take [ and make it horizontal holding it together, I think its leaking there. Anyway, the sharks are gonna get 70$ out of me to look at it and tell me what needs to be done, better than me messin with the radiator i think. I can do work, but I'm not doin any without my garage, and I gotta get my old civic towed today, so forget working in -5 degree temperatures. I'll go to the garage. Thanks everyone, I thought it was coolant. I'll let u guys know what was wrong with it when I get back from the dealer. :

Old 01-23-2003, 03:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Mods: B18C1, AEM CAI, DC 4-2-1, Custom Exhaust, 16x6's, some random dressings here and there.
scottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to beholdscottigee is a splendid one to behold
wow! you've got quite the little Honda family going there.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!
Quote:
Originally posted by CGCivicSiT
Thermal Racing and Development Exhaust
Thermal Research and Development.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dark Wind

wow! you've got quite the little Honda family going there.

Scottigee,

My whole family is here in Indianapolis, I HAD a Civic EX, Mom has 2001 Honda Prelude, Grandma has 2002 Acura 3.2TL type S, Uncle Tom has Acura 3.5RL, I HAVE A 90 Integra GS, Aunt Amy and Uncle doug have a Honda Accord, and an Acura Vigor, Aunt Judy has a POS big Lexus SUV, LoL she's the odd ball out, Aunt Judy and Uncle Phil have crappy toyotas and mitsubishis, lol, honda family except for those crackpots. Anyway all Japanese cars!

Old 01-24-2003, 12:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car:
Mods:
tzonni is an unknown quantity at this point
this may sound stupid, but it works. in auto tech about 2 years ago, my teacher poked a small hole in the lower radiator hosein the project car, 99 geo prizm. anyways. he started the engine up and the coolant started bursting out, anyways he shut it off let it cool, put a tablespoon of pepper, yes pepper in the radiator and it sealed the hole after about 5 minutes of running the engine
Old 01-24-2003, 11:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Ummm......just get a new radiator hose
Save the pepper for your salad
Old 01-24-2003, 12:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods:
Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!Targa250R Um, 1 million? Damn!
Yeah, the pepper is just a "ghetto" quick fix to allow you drive somewhere to buy a new coolant hose. By no means should it be used as a permanent solution.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 1998 Civic EX: black on black
Mods:
taz77 is an unknown quantity at this point
finding the source of the leak will be the simplest thing to do, but in your position, i'd just replace everything. if u just bought the car, u probably don't know how well the other guy treated the car, right?

most of the time, if there is a leak, it's cause there's a crack in the radiator/coolant hose. that would be caused by using an incorrect type of coolant, using tap water to fill the 50/50 mix, or not using coolant at all. these are common things most people do just cause it's convient and cheap. if this is the case, there'll be other hose just waiting to leak on you.
so... if the inside of your hoses looks redish brown (rust)... i'd replace all the heater hoses (about $11 for 12' of hoses), radiator hoses ($16), use a radiator flush ($5), thermostat ($4), radiator cap ($5), and possibly the water pump and timing belt while you're at it.

with the exception of the water pump... you can do it in a day, and have the peace of mind that you won't be leaking coolant for a long time, and it's not expensive at all.

1998 Honda CBR 600F4: black (of course)
Old 01-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dark Samurai

Car:
Mods: lots of stuff, just ask me
temp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by taz77
finding the source of the leak will be the simplest thing to do, but in your position, i'd just replace everything. if u just bought the car, u probably don't know how well the other guy treated the car, right?

most of the time, if there is a leak, it's cause there's a crack in the radiator/coolant hose. that would be caused by using an incorrect type of coolant, using tap water to fill the 50/50 mix, or not using coolant at all. these are common things most people do just cause it's convient and cheap. if this is the case, there'll be other hose just waiting to leak on you.
so... if the inside of your hoses looks redish brown (rust)... i'd replace all the heater hoses (about $11 for 12' of hoses), radiator hoses ($16), use a radiator flush ($5), thermostat ($4), radiator cap ($5), and possibly the water pump and timing belt while you're at it.

with the exception of the water pump... you can do it in a day, and have the peace of mind that you won't be leaking coolant for a long time, and it's not expensive at all.

just curious how tap water causes a problem? should i use EVIAN or AQUAFINA?
Old 01-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Tap water contains minerals and chemical additives that can corrode or leave deposits on your coolant system. There's bleach in it that eats at the rubber hoses and calcium deposits can completely seal off passageways through the aluminum radiator over time. If flushed regularly it usually isn't a problem but if you want to be totally safe used Deionized water. This is water in it's purest form - even more pure than spring water. Even spring water has minerals in it. DI water is just two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom. No fuss, no muss.

But to answer your question, Evian is hella better than Aquafina. Pepsi sucks. (Pepsi owns aquafina)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement