cause of low compression? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2002, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
domi is an unknown quantity at this point
cause of low compression?

what causes low compression(PSI)? I did a test on my car and got 115 115 115 105..:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2002, 05:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Noob

Car: prelude vtec '92
Mods:
V-Technician is an unknown quantity at this point
Could be a worn piston ring, head gasket leak, or even a bad spark plug, however the latter can be disregarded for obvious reasons.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2002, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: CiViC98
Mods: not enough
B20BbenN is an unknown quantity at this point
Always open the butterfly when you do a compression test!(bypass the + on the starter , not turn the key...)
If you open the butterfly during the compression will be higher!
Old 09-14-2002, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 1998 Civic EX: black on black
Mods:
taz77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by B20BbenN
Always open the butterfly when you do a compression test!(bypass the + on the starter , not turn the key...)
If you open the butterfly during the compression will be higher!
i've heard you're supposed to have the throttle at wot, but i still don't get why. lets say the intake valve isn't seated properly and is having a low compression because or that. won't having the throttle closed help the compression because the throttle plate is allowing the air to stay in the cylinder/engine? just curious here...

but anywayz.. any of what they say can be a cause of low compression but there are more possibilities... are you burning any oil? are you loosing coolant? was a leak down test done after the compression test?

1998 Honda CBR 600F4: black (of course)
Old 12-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
summitfan is an unknown quantity at this point
what kinda car u got, one cause of low compression is u may have jumped timing. and when u do a compression test keep throttle wot and disconnect the ignition wire dont fuck wit the starter. if it was a head gasket leak u would hear it it it was rings it would smoke. could have burnt valves. good luck!
Old 12-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dark Wind

Car: 1979 Porsche 911SC, 95 Chevy S-10, 2 1990 Miatas
Mods: Don't you wish you knew
hobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problemhobie237 has a Rep problem
could be upper end or lower end. How many miles?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car:
Mods:
female four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problemfemale four has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz77
i've heard you're supposed to have the throttle at wot, but i still don't get why. lets say the intake valve isn't seated properly and is having a low compression because or that. won't having the throttle closed help the compression because the throttle plate is allowing the air to stay in the cylinder/engine? just curious here...

but anywayz.. any of what they say can be a cause of low compression but there are more possibilities... are you burning any oil? are you loosing coolant? was a leak down test done after the compression test?
you want throttle plate open to allow air to enter the cylinder. Blocking it will not allow enough air to enter. The test measure how much pressure is in the cylinder for combustion. If you don't have enough air pressure in there, you won't get power from the combustion.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Olde School Ricer

Car: 89crx
Mods: built motor, supercharged
yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****hnician
Could be a 3 year old thread.
:noo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement