Driving in D3 or D4? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2004, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 1992 Civic
Mods: Bosch Platinum+4 Spark Plugs
Paprika has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Driving in D3 or D4?

Hi people...

I don't have an owner's manual, just a service manual in PDF format, but I would like to know should I drive in D3 or D4 in city? I notice I can't really go above 50MPH in D3 too, is that normal? I need the best acceleration I can get but I don't want to induce accessive wear. Are there any tips to getting moving as quickly as possible? (Driving tips not upgrades)

One other thing, my Automatic transmission kicks when changing gears, not all of the grears, but especially when I am trying to accelerate. It even offers a bit of a kick when I am slowing down, coming to a stop. My friend said that he heard a kicking tranny can be fixed really easy by adjusting some belts or something... Is this true? What needs to be done?

Thank you for your time!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: Beyonz
Mods: Porsche air filter
90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!
um....why do you need such acceleration? your only driving in the city, your not racing on a track dude just put it in drive and forget about it. there is no reason to really use the D3 D4 or whatever unless your towing something
Old 09-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
SH Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Si
um....why do you need such acceleration? your only driving in the city, your not racing on a track dude just put it in drive and forget about it. there is no reason to really use the D3 D4 or whatever unless your towing something
You sooooo did not answer my question. and your last sentence doesn't make sense, it looks like you don't know what your talking about and I'd hate to believe that -because it's usually not the case.

Ok, I am looking for some help here people.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car: Beyonz
Mods: Porsche air filter
90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!90Si Bow down before me!
why didnt it make sense? your wanting to drive your auto like a manual so you can have good acceleration, am i right?
Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: '97 Accord EX & '98 F150 4x4 ext cab Lariat
Mods:
spray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whore
Your friend is wrong. Check your auto trans fluid, sometimes low fluid can cause harsh shifting like youre describing. If that doesnt help, go to a parts store and buy a bottle of Lucas (brand name) for your transmission. That will smooth it out. As for your first question, the only difference between D3 and D4 is D3 wont shift into overdrive. Your transmission is a 4 spd automatic, 4th gear being overdrive. If you want fast acceleration put it in either one, it wont matter.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by spray004
Your friend is wrong. Check your auto trans fluid, sometimes low fluid can cause harsh shifting like youre describing. If that doesnt help, go to a parts store and buy a bottle of Lucas (brand name) for your transmission. That will smooth it out. As for your first question, the only difference between D3 and D4 is D3 wont shift into overdrive. Your transmission is a 4 spd automatic, 4th gear being overdrive. If you want fast acceleration put it in either one, it wont matter.
Thank you very much!

More replies are welcomed.

Quote:
why didnt it make sense? your wanting to drive your auto like a manual so you can have good acceleration, am i right?
I think you just didn't understand what I was looking for. But anyway, how does a manual transmission yeld better performance than an automatic?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: '97 Accord EX & '98 F150 4x4 ext cab Lariat
Mods:
spray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whorespray004 is a rep whore
Manual transmissions yield less power loss to the wheels than automatics up to a certain point. With manuals you can more easily control you shift points, choose a certain gear to start out in, etc...
Automatics have more power loss to the wheels due to fact they dont have an actual direct lock up in most to a certain rpm or speed. Autos have torque converters that act like a clutch.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...ansmission.htm
In stock vehicles there is a noticeable power difference in a man. vs auto. When you start getting into hardcore racing, manuals loose their advantage and automatics are just as equal. If you ever look at some amateur drag racers some will use GM Powerglide transmissions (automatics) because they dont have to worry with clutch slippage and burning the clutch up because of the amount of power produced by the engine. In some race classes there is no transmission at all, just direct drive. Depending on what type of racing, some guys might have direct drive with a 2 speed rear end, or have clutchless manual transmissions. Those are usually classes where you dont have to shift a lot like in dirt track racing.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
SH Silver

Alright, I picked up some Genuine Honda ATF and I am going to get some of that Lucas ATF Conditioner also, but I was reading up on transmission fluid changing and seen people talk about changing the transmission fluid filter, and flushing the transmission out.

Do I need to do any of those two things and how do I do them? I didn't even know my transmission had a filter to it, it didn't mention it on the page in the manul that tells how to change the transmission fluid.

let me know, thanks!
Old 09-16-2004, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
SH Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86praylude
My friend had an 86 Prelude auto.
Her gear shifter looked like this:

P
R
N
D4
D3
D2
D1

Drive 4 is overdrive for normal everyday driving
Drive 3 is a passing gear. When you go about 40mph in Drive 4
and Drop it into Drive 3, it puts you in a gearing range where your
engine can rev up higher and build more power to pass people, or win races.
Drive 2 after Drive 3 does the same thing.
Thank you mate!
Old 09-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 Chrysler LeBaron GTC/ 1986 Honda Prelude SI
Mods: Stock
426lude is an unknown quantity at this point
Be careful with that Drive 3, you'll shoot your eye out kid. You can easily hit the redline without even knowing it when going more than 50mph and dropping it into Drive 3. I got a friend who used to do the whole drive 4 into drive 3 thing and the tach needle when straight from 3500rpm and bounced off of the redline into 4500rpms and kept climbing. It was so cool.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 1991 Acura Integra GS
Mods: Intake
Prelude94' will become famous soon enoughPrelude94' will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paprika
Alright, I picked up some Genuine Honda ATF and I am going to get some of that Lucas ATF Conditioner also, but I was reading up on transmission fluid changing and seen people talk about changing the transmission fluid filter, and flushing the transmission out.

Do I need to do any of those two things and how do I do them? I didn't even know my transmission had a filter to it, it didn't mention it on the page in the manul that tells how to change the transmission fluid.

let me know, thanks!

yea my girls dad has a bad ass dirt track car and its direct drive or what ever you call it. I can try to get some pics if someone wants to see it its a bad ass car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement