Reverse rotation - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 86 J/S Camaro
Mods: goodyear slicks :-)
nhrastocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Reverse rotation

Hey... i know this may be alittle out of the ordinary, but has anybody tried to make one of these motors run in the opposite rotation. If im correct they turn opposite of a conventional RWD engine, and to race one you would either have to have a transmission that accommodated this, or run the differencial upside down (uh.. probably not a good idea)
anyway.. any thoughts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
sak
Digital Blueprint

Car:
Mods:
sak is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you talking about having the engine mounted the opposite way like how the RSX is to the older tegs? Intake in the front and Exhaust on the back?

As far asa I know, Honda was the only manufacturer of cars that placed their engines with the crank/timing belt towards the driver side.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
why.....i don't know of any benefits of doing this......you would have to change a bunch of things to even get it to work....water pump wouldnt be effective either.....but WHY

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-12-2003, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Hi.. first of all i was curious if i am right or not about the rotation. Looking at the front of the motor.. which way does it turn. A standard automotive type engine turns clockwise. If you would want to build a RWD powered vehicle with a Honda and it turned counterclockwise..this would be a concern. G-Force transmissions offers an option, which is basically a standard race 5 speed with countergear that turns the output backwards (sorry to use backwards.. counterclockwise) . But why not spin the engine opposite. Change the cams (reverse intake and exhaust lobes) fab a conventional starter on it and it should be ready to go!
Old 03-12-2003, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car: 1990 accord lx
Mods: finally the H22A is in
fizzbob7 has a spectacular aura aboutfizzbob7 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by nhrastocker
Hi.. first of all i was curious if i am right or not about the rotation. Looking at the front of the motor.. which way does it turn. A standard automotive type engine turns clockwise. If you would want to build a RWD powered vehicle with a Honda and it turned counterclockwise..this would be a concern. G-Force transmissions offers an option, which is basically a standard race 5 speed with countergear that turns the output backwards (sorry to use backwards.. counterclockwise) . But why not spin the engine opposite. Change the cams (reverse intake and exhaust lobes) fab a conventional starter on it and it should be ready to go!
you're right that they turn opposite, but that's why the f20c isn't like that....

DOWNLOAD IT HERE
Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Thanks... i was just double checking my info.. i didnt realize it till i looked in g-forces catalog and saw they have the output shaft of the transmission offset off the main shaft! Im sure that honda had a good reason for doing that, maybe moving the motor forward in their cars help Weight/Balance issues.. Anyhoo...
Old 03-15-2003, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
GunMetal Member

Car: 2005 Fairlady Z
Mods:
drifted is an unknown quantity at this point
older hondas spin counterclockwise. the V6's, K series, and F20C spin clockwise.

Apexi's Drag Integra has an H22 motor, twin turbo, and reversed to spin clockwise. the head and transmission were completely reengineered to work.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 95 Acura Integra
Mods:
blase is an unknown quantity at this point
This is remembering back to about 2 years ago, but APEXi did this custom designed all motor integra that ran backwards. I think it was the type R motor with VTEC disabled, hooked up to an "X box" tranny. (at least that's what I'm remembering they called it.) I don't know if it was a RWD setup or a spool tranny or what, but I remember them talking about it being a 9 second car.
Skunk2 Valvetrain and Stage II cams
Type R Tranny w/ Toda flywheel
AEM EMS
Not a single sticker...
Old 03-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 95 Acura Integra
Mods:
blase is an unknown quantity at this point
revised...

To correct my previous statement, it was hooked up to an X-track tranny which is a FWD straight cut sequential transmission. That's why the motor had to spin backwards.
Skunk2 Valvetrain and Stage II cams
Type R Tranny w/ Toda flywheel
AEM EMS
Not a single sticker...
Old 03-18-2003, 09:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Hey thanks alot.. thats actually been a big help. The biggest thing i was curious about is the front drive...would it be nessessary to move the idler pulley to the other side, or would the whole setup work fine just spinning in the opposite direction. But it seems to work alright in Apexi's case, since from the pictures you can see the belt orientation is the same as stock. Another kicker i found out though regards the crankshaft. You have to make sure the oiling holes are orientated the right way. For most cranks its alright.. but for aftermarket cranks..(crower) the oiling holes are ran close to tangent to the rod journal... so to run backwards would cause serious bearing load problems. anyway... food for though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement