Smoke from engine after oil change? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback DX
Mods:
Flannigan92 is on a distinguished road
Smoke from engine after oil change?

Heyy

I changed the oil in my civic yesterday and took it out for a spin, after i brought it back i noticed smoke comming from the engine bay. When i look for the spot where the smoke is its comming from a brass looking hose under the exhaust manifold near the front of the engine, The oil was overfilled too. THis something i need to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 00 ex
Mods: b16a3
Drakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problemDrakeb16 has a Rep problem
if you spilled some oil somewhere on the motor its gona smoke, just hose it down and see if it still smokes once its dry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1994 Honda Civic Hatchback DX
Mods:
Flannigan92 is on a distinguished road
Okay will doo, and what about overfilling the engine oil?

Will it hurt any i dont know how much i overfilled it, i had a 5 litre can of oil and used about 3 quarters of it.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 2000 db8 and 2011 toyota sienna
Mods: jdm bolts and nuts. spoon washer fluid. mugen dome light bulbs.
soldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapy
v
Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

soldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapysoldiermanny needs rep therapy
over filling will hurt your gas mileage more than anything. as for the smoke, as stated before, wash it off with some degreaser or brake cleaner.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 2001 accord coupe 2.0esi
Mods: 18'' wheels/Lexus rear lenses/ Induction kit/Fog lights....
marvowens is on a distinguished road
over filling the oil can be as bad for an engine as not having any in at all. refer to owners manual for quantity from empty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
overfilling the oil can make it foam and render it useless

that tube in front is the dipstick, how are you checking your oil level if you dont know that "brass looking tube"??

3.8 liters is what I used in my d15, then Id check the oil the next few times I gassed up the car, and added a little as necessary. I always like to under fill it by about .2 liters, then add to get it to the perfect level
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caramel Chocolate Lover View Post
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Old 10-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Bacon Mod

Car: 1990 SI Hatch
Mods: Bottle Fed B16A 13.23@101.5 on I,H,E and a 50 shot
VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?
overfilling the oil can lead to engine failure..I saw a civic where they overfilled the oil and blew a hole out in the front of the block
2012 Civic EX - DD
In the end, everything we do is just everything we've done

"I have returned many times to honour the valiant men who died…every man who set foot on Omaha Beach was a hero."-Lieutenant General Omar Bradley
Old 10-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

at my shop we have had so many newbies in the lube racks overfill and underfill engines its not even funny. as for overfilled, i'm talking a quart over the max and from what the original poster described is pretty close and all i've seen is customers complain about gas mileage, especially hybrids. never seen an engine get destroyed for a quart over. now if you go over that i can see problems.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
SH Virus

Car: 1998 Civic EJ9 D14A4.
Mods: Magnecor leads,Iridium plugs,one-off Stainless exhaust,Sports cat,K&N panel filter,stainless manifold&down pipe,FSE FPR.
D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?D14A4 Guy you're still here?
Over filling is bad!
reduced performance and mileage+massive amounts of oil vapour can get in the intake and air box etc+leaking gaskets.
Always keep it in the middle between min and max.
"**This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.**"

Because learning is fun
Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
depends on the motor. sometimes a large tolerance is there. on some motors though, 1/2 a quart over or under can be noticed
Quote:
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
depends on the motor. sometimes a large tolerance is there. on some motors though, 1/2 a quart over or under can be noticed
well i work for toyota so i guess you can say they have a high tolerance. one time i had a 3.5 v6 avalon come in with a bad oil leak and had only 3 quarts out of 6 left and still running fine with no knocking!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
ya all the older honda and toyota motor dont mind a bit of oil variation. makes em great for people who arent always aware of motor conditions. one less thing to worry about sometimes
Quote:
Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Bacon Mod

Car: 1990 SI Hatch
Mods: Bottle Fed B16A 13.23@101.5 on I,H,E and a 50 shot
VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?VTECsqznN2O you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermanny View Post
at my shop we have had so many newbies in the lube racks overfill and underfill engines its not even funny. as for overfilled, i'm talking a quart over the max and from what the original poster described is pretty close and all i've seen is customers complain about gas mileage, especially hybrids. never seen an engine get destroyed for a quart over. now if you go over that i can see problems.
I've got you beat...

jackass i used to work with had a liek a 70 chevelle...didnt knwo shit abotu cars...but did an oil cahnge on it..came to work and is like..yea..changed the oil and filter and only had liek half a quart of oil in it..so i jsut put 5 quarts in and called it a day..whats the deal?

turns out he had just taken the oil filter off and didnt drain the pan..so he had damn near 10 quarts of oil in this fuckin car.
2012 Civic EX - DD
In the end, everything we do is just everything we've done

"I have returned many times to honour the valiant men who died…every man who set foot on Omaha Beach was a hero."-Lieutenant General Omar Bradley
Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECsqznN2O View Post
I've got you beat...

jackass i used to work with had a liek a 70 chevelle...didnt knwo shit abotu cars...but did an oil cahnge on it..came to work and is like..yea..changed the oil and filter and only had liek half a quart of oil in it..so i jsut put 5 quarts in and called it a day..whats the deal?

turns out he had just taken the oil filter off and didnt drain the pan..so he had damn near 10 quarts of oil in this fuckin car.
lol take the keys away from him! but i got a better story, when i went thru the autotech program, some kid got hired at a local dealer before some of us and was bragging all this crap, well all he did was oil changes, so in his first week there he forgot to put oil back into the car after draining it and shipped it. the car made it a couple miles down the road before the engine seized! lol, he got fired and was so embarrassed he never came back to our autotech class. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement