Tachometer Jumping?? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 93 Civic DX Hybrid
Mods: B16A block, GSR head & Tranny, ECU, Etc.
mberndt can only hope to improve
Tachometer Jumping??

I've been struggling to combat a problem I've been having for a while now, and everywhere I look I can't find an answer, maybe someone on here had the same problems as me.
Got a boosted b16 EG with uberdata and 450's the car runs great most of the time. Lately I've been having a problem with the tachometer "jumping" around. It seems that the jumping of the tach is a misfire or something, because it only does this when it's in boost. The jumping is a rapid movement of the tach accompanied by loss of power.
Here's the situation.
When I'm driving, if i build boost say at like 3-4k rpms, it will start to jump and it seems like it's misfiring, but then with VTEC it just takes off, and the tach jumps much less when it's in VTEC.
At first the problem cause was thought to be the battery, because after a long trip I turned the car off and when I went to turn it back on it didn't crank. So I checked the battery terminals, which were a bit loose, and tightened them. Then the problem disappeared. For a little that is.
Now it's back.
I don't drive the car during the week, but when I try and start it after a week of sitting it is dead everytime. I have to jump it everyweek I use it. After it is jumped and I run it for like 20 mins, then it is ok and will start up fine the next day.
This leads me to believe it is the battery, because the problem seemed to go away when I tightened the terminals. Now the terminals are real tight but it still does it a little bit... Gotta be the battery right?
Anyone else ever have this problem?
Info on jumping tachs online poinits to a problem with the ignition coil... This could be the problem too, because the coil is not honda it is from pep-boys, i think it's borg warner coil, could this be the problem?
I checked the plugs, and they LOOK fine...
Maybe the engine is being fed too much fuel?

Also, I have a 93 EX all stock, and it has had the same problem a couple of times even though it is not being boosted, wtf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 94 Eg coupe.
Mods: Well, IT'S STOCK EXCEPT FOR MY 5000hp shot of nitrous!
festivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep tropospherefestivagt In the rep troposphere

Honda coils are poop. Your misfiring because the ignition coil is breaking down. When the coil gets warm it breaks down even more and won't produce enough spark to start the car till it cools. Goofing with your battery only allowed the coil time to cool especially with having the hood open. Any time the tach goes nuts chances are your coil is on the way out. It especially shows up when you push a HUGE load on the motor. You can get a accel/gsport(same coil) high output unit from autozone. They have it right on the shelf. Not sure about other retailers. Try to stay away from the stock ones they are a definite replacement item. I would almost suggest keeping an extra one with you. Never know when they might drop out especially if you are hard on your car. Hard driving kills them quick. Good luck.
HENRY
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 91 Civic DX
Mods: Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Head, Ignition, 2" Drop, 17" Poisons
robblah is an unknown quantity at this point
I just fixed this problem on my car today, The Tach was jumping all over the place and at some points it started to stall when it got too hot, I left the hood open for a few minutes shut it and I was on my way again. It ended up being my MSD Coil, I put the Stock one back in and it ran fine.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Really?
Huh, I am having the same problem with my Replacement coil (from pep-boys)
and I was gonna get an external MSD coil. But if you are having the same problem then I am wondering if I should just get the honda part or the MSD external.
What hardware do you have/need to hook up an external coil?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 91 Civic DX
Mods: Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Head, Ignition, 2" Drop, 17" Poisons
robblah is an unknown quantity at this point
I had bought the kit the External MSD Blaster Coil 2 , MSD Power Cap, and the wiring brackets ETC. Mounted it on the back firewall and it ran great for a few weeks than gave me nothing but problems it woudl get too hot and my car would run like shit then stall. I replaced it with the stock coil, and haven't had any problem since.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
SH Titanium

Car: 99 Honda Civic Si EBP
Mods:
ElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond reputeElectronBlueSi has a reputation beyond repute
a friend of mine had the same problem but he wasnt running boost.....take off your distributor cap and take off the rotor and there are electrical connectors behind that for the ignition module....one of his was loose.....causing the car to intermittenly hesitate and the tach would go crazy....its worth a shot....
Old 07-24-2006, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

OK,
Well, I got an update...
Got new battery, plugs, wires, rotor, and cap and I still have the same problem...
I realized on Saturday that the ignition coil in my 93 civic EX (all stock) is the same as the coil in my car, so I changed the used coil from the EX into my car, and changed out the Pep-boys one. I checked all of my connections and after the car warmed up, the misfiring came back again :
So, could it be that BOTH coils are misfiring only when hot? I don't think so, but it is possible because only like once or twice the tach in the stock EX jumped just like mine. Could both coils be "worn out" and misfiring when hot? Well, I ordered a new stock honda coil, so we will see this weekend. Also, is it possible for my uberdata tune to be "messed up" causing this problem? Doesn't seem likely?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Ok,
This is what I was able to get done this weekend...
I replaced the coil with a new Honda piece, and it still misfired...
So, I did the following
-replaced ignitor/ICM with one from my 93 EX stocker, still same problem
-replaced main relay with new one from EX stocker (we got a new one like 3 months ago) still same problem
-checked, and resoldered all wires in engine bay, still same problem
-while engine was running pulled, twisted and moved wires (engine bay, at ecu) to see if there was a bad connection, no bad connection, still misfires
-burned like 5 different base maps with both Crome and Uberdata, and this is where it gets funny...
-with my original uberdata tune (from guy that tuned it), the tach will jump only at like part-full throttle, or when in boost. If I keep it floored to redline, it sometimes rips, and other times, it feels as though it's not getting enough fuel, or maybe the timing is being retarded, again the tach will jump if it does this...
-With my Crome base map tune, it seems to make the tach jump even more, say it's idling, then I rev it up a little, the tach will jump like 1000rpms then go back down... Also with this tune, even at like part throttle or just cruising, it seems to make the tach jump alot more, but it doesn't noticably effect the engine....
With both tunes, tach NEVER jumps around on off-throttle...
So, if the tune affects the tach jumping, could it really be that it's not getting enough fuel?

I am running DSM 450's with an old accord resistor box, the connections seem good, I moved them around and no misfire, but on *onda-tech.com, someone had a misfire problem that they figured out had to do with something with the resistor box, guy apparently ran a wire from injector grounds to the ?nomex plug? (where is nomex plug exactly?) to the ECU or something and it fixed his problem... Anyone ever hear dof this?
Also, some guy on ********** said he had same problem, it was fuel filter, was clogged, put in a new filter, and it fixed his miss with jumping tach...

But the funny thing is it really doesn't start to happen until it's hot, so how would the fuel pump or filter "know" when the car is hot, in order to start misfiring...

P.S. I checked my wires too, no visible cracking or arcing, and the resistance checks ok, max of 6k ohms for the longest wire, spec max is 25k ohms, so I know the wires are good, besides I tried the nology's, and same problem.
Help Me!!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Ok, well I think we FINALLY figured out what was causing the problem!!!
After all this work on everything else, it turns out the problem was something to do with a GROUND!
My bro was working on it last night, and he replaced the fuel filter. He took it for a ride and he called me to let me know he thought it was gone, then sure enough he called back and said it was happening again. :
At this point, we figured it could be the TPS, so he checked it then disconnected it to see if there was a difference. The car ran with it off, but the problem surfaced again. Some more pondering under the hood, and he called and I mentioned someone online had a problem with a ground "heating" up to the point it was losing good contact.
So, he had a friend start it up and noticed a small spark near the battery ground. (this was at night) He moved the wires and found a ground that was apparently loose, which was causing the tach to jump around. he tightened it, then took it for a drive, and it was gone.
he's gonna double check it today, but I hope to GOD it's gone, cause it was starting to annoy the SHI* outta me.

It's funny because I thought it could be a ground problem, but I could never find out where it was. Well, he fixed it and I'm gonna take him out to the bar for a celebration of sorts.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions on this topic, I guess the only good thing about it is now I am an expert on this issue, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement