VTEC not engaging - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1994 Mini
Mods: b16a2
p1ngu32 is on a distinguished road
VTEC not engaging

Hi,

I have a classic mini with a b16a2 obd2 engine in it. It is hooked up to a chipped (p28 i think but there are no stickers on the ecu) obd1 ecu using an Integra TYPE R dc2 engine harness and a custom made loom from minitec which plugs into the strut top plugs of the integra harness.

The car runs fine apart from vtec not engaging.

The chip in the ecu has VTP/VTS, temp check, speed check and knock disabled

I have tested the tps and thats reading .5v at idle and 4.45v at WOT
I am not using a honda gauge cluster in the car.
The vtec solenoid clicks when 12v is fed to it
Vtec does work if forced using a switch
There is no Vtec oil pressure switch on the engine or a wire going to the pin for it on the ecu.
I have tried jumping the pins for the vtec solenoid and the Pressure switch together with no sucess.
No voltage comes from a4? when at the vtec engagemant point.

I have tried to fit an MIL light but cant get it to illuminate, checking with a voltmeter there is 4.5v coming from the MIL wire when the ignition is on, and the voltage doesnt change when grounding the SCS pin D6? so i cant read any codes if there are any.

Ive searched the forums and tried all the above.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Richard.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
You need the vtec pressure switch. Or you could rig a 12volt shiftlight thats hooked to the solenoid instead of a light bulb. I doubt it would work, its just a thought off the top of my head.

Or you could pick up the ecu that runs that motor stock. The del sol VTEC had that motor (USDM, not sure about your area), you could also use the harness from the 99-00 civic SI (again, USDM, had a B16, not sure for you lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caramel Chocolate Lover View Post
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car: 1994 Mini
Mods: b16a2
p1ngu32 is on a distinguished road
Do i still need a pressure switch if there was never one fitted to that engine and it is switched off using crome?

Richard.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Black Cloud

Car:
Mods:
mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?mattliston you're still here?
That engine came stock with the proper stuff for vtec, I would imagine theres a spot somewhere for it. lemme pullup a website so you can look for it quick

EDIT Im not seeing it anywhere, Im using this site Discount Wholesale Prices for Accessories and Genuine Honda Parts I searched under del sol, 1997 VTEC (B16A2 engine)

Sorry bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caramel Chocolate Lover View Post
hundreds of dollars for 2-3 lbs off of your flywheel isn't really worth on a street car making less tq than the lid on my jar of jelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement