What can i use to clean my o2 sensor?? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Performance - Tech > Performance Tech > Engine Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2002, 09:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 98 Civic Coupe
Mods: stock
Shibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud of
What can i use to clean my o2 sensor??

My CEL for my lude says code 41 which is the heated o2 sensor.. I want to try and to clean it, but what product/chemical should i use, maybe hopefully it will work. but if not.. gotta find 150 bucks!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2002, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1992 BMW 325is
Mods:
kinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddesskinghawk Rep God/Goddess
one way to clean your oxygen sensor is to make the environment lean...... to do this you would dissconnect the brake booster vaccum line ( biggest one in the engine bay) and riv your engine to about 5000 rpm for about 3 minutes or so ...... this should clean it out enough....... how old would you say the one you got in your car is ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2002, 01:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
iV
SuperHonda Member

Car:
Mods:
iV is on a distinguished road
So you want him to try and run lean on purpose while holding high RPM?????? Umm, no.

Remove the 02 sensor and clean it with brake parts cleaner, available at any local auto store. It dries quickly and leaves no residue, and is full of powerful solvents which break down virtually anything found near cars. If it's just dirty this should do the trick, if the sensor itself is bad you've just wasted your time.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired *********

Car: 1999 Crown Vic
Mods:
05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?05 tC you're still here?
HO2 sensors are very sensitive, but they can be cleaned. DO NOT use any solvent/cleaner that is not labeled 'O2 sensor safe', they are damaged by any raw petrochemical, be it carb cleaner, brake cleaner, grease, or even fuel. They can easily be cleaned by heating them up and burning off the contaminants. You can run the engine lean (like kinghawk said), but it is better to remove the sensor and heat up the tip with a propane torch. Just be careful not to heat it up too much as this will ruin the sensor.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
The_Engineer is an unknown quantity at this point
if you wanna clean it, use gasoline, it will not hurt the O2 at all, the sensor is exposed to gas everytime the engine is on,
Old 10-11-2002, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Shibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud ofShibby H22A has much to be proud of
Well......... I just finished rebuilding my head due to burnt exhaust valves. When i removed my head, it indicated i was running really lean. SO umm.. i dont wanna make my car go lean any more....... But i will try to torch it and see what happens.. If nothing, then i'll use a brake/carb cleaner (no matter what if it will hurt it, since its fuked anyways)

I wished those little sensor weren't 150 bucks...

Old 10-11-2002, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Oh also would it hurt my engine if i drove it with the CEL for the o2 sensor on? the ecu is in safe mode now right, that means its running rich?:

Old 10-11-2002, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods: 4door Teg- 13.8 ls/vtec
JAYMAN320 is an unknown quantity at this point
buy a new one...bosche universal and NGK O2 sensors are found in you local auto parts store....A o2 sensor is something you replace no something that you clean.

Its just like spark plugs my friend

02' Suzuki GsxR
Old 10-11-2002, 03:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Quote:
Originally posted by JAYMAN320
buy a new one...bosche universal and NGK O2 sensors are found in you local auto parts store....A o2 sensor is something you replace no something that you clean.

Its just like spark plugs my friend

But............ wanna donate me $150??

EDIT: oh BTW, i got a o2 sensor to try out, its out of a GM vehicle, gotta modify the connectors though, but hopefully it works..

Old 10-11-2002, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
S Zero Racer

Car:
Mods: 4door Teg- 13.8 ls/vtec
JAYMAN320 is an unknown quantity at this point
50 bucks is what you need

02' Suzuki GsxR
Old 10-11-2002, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Quote:
Originally posted by JAYMAN320
50 bucks is what you need
Oh really, just ask for a universal one? umm ill have to do that the next time i need a new one.. Mine is allright now! it was just the connector terminal wire for the ground came out, i never noticed that unitl i tried to put the o2 sensor socket on and the wire came out more, so i put it back in and tried it and ta da! problem cured!

Thank you all for the help though!

Old 04-17-2003, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
BlackMoon Ninja

Car: None:(
Mods:
PlayaWhyUHatin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Engineer
if you wanna clean it, use gasoline, it will not hurt the O2 at all, the sensor is exposed to gas everytime the engine is on,
yeah, but that burn gas exhaust(mostly.) Pouring gas on it to clean and a little gas in the exhaust are way different.
Old 04-20-2003, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
SuperHonda Member

Car: 95' del sol Si
Mods: Intake, Header, Exhaust.
shinigami is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, when i put on my header, i accidently sprayed wd40 on the o2 sensor, to try to get it out... and now i get my cel all the time.. is it totaly fucked or can i save it??? thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement