cardboard over the radiator? - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda Lifestyle & Entertainment > Honda Off-Topic Lounge > The Garage

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Car: 96 LS
Mods: front and rear strut bars, SRI, pulleys, catback coming soon: header, cat, cam gears, throttle body
druuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problem
cardboard over the radiator?

i heard that you should cover 2/3's of your radiator with cardboard in the winter to help your car warm up. has anyone here tried it? and does it matter what part of the radiator you put the cardboard on?
Ractive SRI, A'PEXi WS 2 cat-back
UR underdrive pulleys

chicks dig my sunroof

Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits. - mycivicjust8u
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
jon

Car: 2007 f150 xlt lariat
Mods: Toolbox
jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?jon you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by druuuu
i heard that you should cover 2/3's of your radiator with cardboard in the winter to help your car warm up. has anyone here tried it? and does it matter what part of the radiator you put the cardboard on?
that would make your car warm up faster, but it would cause your car to overheat after warm up
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
mymadstickersyo is an unknown quantity at this point
that sounds kinda stupid if you ask me. but if i had to pick a place i would say try andblock the parts farther from the engine becasue the engine will warm it up and the outside air will cool it off. so block it off in front of the grill
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Mods: front and rear strut bars, SRI, pulleys, catback coming soon: header, cat, cam gears, throttle body
druuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problemdruuuu has a Rep problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFK_SI_EG
that would make your car warm up faster, but it would cause your car to overheat after warm up
not if you're running in a constant 30 degrees outside
UR underdrive pulleys

chicks dig my sunroof

Old 10-03-2005, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Car: scooter
Mods: bell on the handle bars and a sweet basket to carry stuff in
RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?RedlinedDA you're still here?
that doesnt sound like a good idea
Old 10-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Noob

Car:
Mods:
Silver Civic EX is on a distinguished road
i always thought that your thermostat opens when it detects that the water in your motor is hot enough, and then closeing when it gets colder. I dont see how it would make your car warm up any faster, because wouldn't your thermostat close after the cold water mixes with the hot water in your motor? Correct me if im wrong.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
SH Silver

Car: 95 Civic Ej1
Mods: CAI, Full TIEN coilovers, cat back, urathane bushings, msd coil, iridium plugs, ngk wires.
Printz has a spectacular aura aboutPrintz has a spectacular aura about
Covering your radiator is what diesels doin the winter because it doesn't hurt them to cover it, they still won't over heat. But I dont know about a gasoline motor. You could try it and just be really careful. If it overheats or starts to, you could always replace you thermostat if it's old that always helps it heat up quicker.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

ive read this tip in car and driver and popular mechanics for gasoline engines so i dont think it would be harmful. i might try it this winter cus my car takes so long to warm up. by the time the needle passes "C", im already at school.
UR underdrive pulleys

chicks dig my sunroof

Old 10-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Olde School Ricer

Car: 89crx
Mods: built motor, supercharged
yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!yellowrexsi Bow down before me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by druuuu
ive read this tip in car and driver and popular mechanics for gasoline engines so i dont think it would be harmful. i might try it this winter cus my car takes so long to warm up. by the time the needle passes "C", im already at school.
I covered my radiator a few years in a row. Car doesn't overheat. It works well. Also If you turn on your Headlights your car will warm up faster. It puts more draw on the electrical which puts more draw on the motor.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 90 rex si
Mods: JR edition GT killer
ksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peons
i know that for sub zero temperature states up north people have engine block core heaters or something, you just hook it onto the block and plug it right in overnight and when you wake up its warm. try sears.
D16Z6, arp rod bolts, OBD1 conversion/chipped P28, Comp cam, b16 throttle body, intake, JR Supercharger@8.5 psi, 3.2' blower pulley, crank pulley upgrade, dsm 450s, Hondata IM gasket, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 4-2-1 header, 2.5' catless MSPi exhaust, tuned via CROME Pro, 6 puck, 8lb fidanza flywheel, b&m shortshifter, catch can, autometer..=170whp/145wtq

MY VIDEO(old setup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
an asshole response is clearly warranted
Old 10-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 2006 Honda Civic Ex
Mods:
HondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problemHondaVTEC93 has a Rep problem
i never did it
Old 10-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 1996 hatchback
Mods:
XKWISIT1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why don't you just get a block heater installed,that way all you have to do is plug it in over night and in the morning you will have instant heat when you start uo the car. Side benifit is that your oil will be warm too,thus decreasing the dry start up time.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Midnight Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKWISIT1
Why don't you just get a block heater installed,that way all you have to do is plug it in over night and in the morning you will have instant heat when you start uo the car. Side benifit is that your oil will be warm too,thus decreasing the dry start up time.
because i live in a townhouse community with outdoor parking so there's not much to plug into.
UR underdrive pulleys

chicks dig my sunroof

Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ninja Matsume

Car: 90 rex si
Mods: JR edition GT killer
ksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peonsksniperfox Hello down there miniscule peons
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKWISIT1

wow just plagiarize away straight off of my posts..GODDAMN PLAGIARIZING PUSSY! READ MOTHERFUCKER!
D16Z6, arp rod bolts, OBD1 conversion/chipped P28, Comp cam, b16 throttle body, intake, JR Supercharger@8.5 psi, 3.2' blower pulley, crank pulley upgrade, dsm 450s, Hondata IM gasket, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, 4-2-1 header, 2.5' catless MSPi exhaust, tuned via CROME Pro, 6 puck, 8lb fidanza flywheel, b&m shortshifter, catch can, autometer..=170whp/145wtq

MY VIDEO(old setup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy
an asshole response is clearly warranted
Old 10-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Type-S Member

Car: 95 Civic Hatch
Mods: A lot
Blazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to beholdBlazin Civic is a splendid one to behold
Calm down dude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement