Engine swap D16Z6 into a D15B7 car - Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Honda Forum : Honda and Acura Car Forums > Honda - Vehicles > Civic Forum > D-Series Tech

SuperHonda.com is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
crash66749_sek is on a distinguished road
Engine swap D16Z6 into a D15B7 car

Does anyone know if I could bolt the D16Z6 engine in place of the D15B7 and use the original distributor from the B7 engine so that I would not have to run the wires needed for the VTEC feature of the Z6 engine. I know it wouldn't vary the timing but I am just trying to put this car together to sell quickly. It looks like most of the wiring would hook up the exact same as it was on the B7 engine and the front and rear of the engine look the same. Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

Car: 1991 honda crx si
Mods: swapped.
slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash66749_sek View Post
Does anyone know if I could bolt the D16Z6 engine in place of the D15B7 and use the original distributor from the B7 engine so that I would not have to run the wires needed for the VTEC feature of the Z6 engine. I know it wouldn't vary the timing but I am just trying to put this car together to sell quickly. It looks like most of the wiring would hook up the exact same as it was on the B7 engine and the front and rear of the engine look the same. Thanks.
yes you can but its risky. the distributer will only have one bolt holding it in place but it will work. i dont reccommend it though. why not just run the 2 wires for vtec and sell it. youd make more money

and no they do not plug in the same.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
I may end up doing just that. The auto recycler isn't finding an easy way out so he wants me to try whatever I can to make the engine work. I am not necessarily worried about making more money, I just want to sell it as a good gas mileage car anyhow. Does anyone have an explicit description of what wires to run to the P28 ECU? Does anyone have a P28 ECu they would be interested in selling?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Brand Spanking Newbie

Car:
Mods:
Or, what happens if I leave the Z6 distributor in the engine but then I do not run the 2 VTEC wires or put a P28 ECU in the car, will it run like the B7 engine did? VTEC just means it varies timing doesn't it?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?slow_eh2 you're still here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash66749_sek View Post
Or, what happens if I leave the Z6 distributor in the engine but then I do not run the 2 VTEC wires or put a P28 ECU in the car, will it run like the B7 engine did? VTEC just means it varies timing doesn't it?
on the engine harness you have two wires that are missnig. run them from the connector (green) that is plugged into the vtec soleniod. and you want to run those two wires to a4 and d6 on the ecu. illl go more indepth when im not in class. and ill post pics to make it easier.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
CarbonSword Ninja

and yes if you dont run the wires and run the non vtec ecu then it will run just like a b7... however id do it right just because thats how i am.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 civic H/b
Mods: front-gsr strut and tenzo r strut bar, Lower rear-spoon strut, tokico suspension, and rear disc brake
Cheerioeg6 is on a distinguished road
if you just run the engine with the p28 ecu on. your engine check light would come on for your vtec solenoid and pressure because the two aren't wire up. But if you run the dx ecu with the d16z6 engine, it would just run as a dx car but with a d16z6 in it...lol
Old 03-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Noob

Car: 92 civic quick as balls
Mods: jdm d16a vtec, cx trans, 3"intake 2"exhaust. 8.5lb flywheel, short throw shifter&440g knob. weighs like 1600lbs
The Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapyThe Greatness needs rep therapy
the b7 and z6 distributors have the same connectors. if you have a z6 distributor use it. im currently running a b7, but it held by one bolt. this is only temporary but it works. to do a z6 swap all you have to do is add a few wires. one from the grey plug on the solenoid to the ecu, one from the green plug to the ecu and the other one from the green plug to the chassis ground through the harness. thats it. takes about an hour if you know what ur doing. Rywire - Online Store sell a vtec subharness for you car with a z6 motor. check it out i can post a diagram for the wiring if need be. ask slow eh2 bout my distributor. he can vouch for me on that one (that i works)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement